News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:45:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great loss  (Read 849 times)

Offline Greg Voumard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Great loss
« on: November 27, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
Sad news today.  Johnny Carr has passed away.  John was the designer of the guillotine back in the 60s. his company was called CMI which kitted that combat plane and a few others He was a mentor and icon in my life as a young teen   I would travel to contests in the Midwest with John and will always remember going to my first nationals with him in 1970. I ate ,drank and slept combat for 3 years back then as a junior. These are memories that are so special. To those who met or knew him I’m sure he left some kind of impact on you also   

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Great loss
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
Des Moines is roughly 250 miles from me, and I ran into John and Bob Baldus often back in the day.  When I saw Bob a couple of years ago, I asked about John and was saddened to hear he was in poor health.

He produced some really nice kits and apparently was a great mentor to you, but I mostly remember how much fun it was to be around him.  Very fond memories of time spent with him, and my thoughts and prayers for comfort go out to those he leaves behind.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
This sad news as he helped Dave Trible a lot at one time.  I got to meet him at the Polk City contest when I was attending them.  I have a Guillotine that I will fly in memory of him. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »
Greg thanks for posting this.  Indeed a great loss.  It seems a little amazing he got this far.  When we were flying on the CMI team for Johnie we thought he would die of a heart attack back then.  The doctors made him stop flying combat but he’d get just as worked up pitting I think.  He worked hard and played harder.  I spent a part of a couple summers when on break from school working at CMI and out flying with the Millers and Baldus.  Most fun time.  John is missed.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:42:20 PM »
I only met Johnny Carr once, at an Iowa contest where Bob Baldus and his trainee(sorry I can't remember the young man's name).  Johnny was a good guy to supply the Guillotine for us.

Phil C

I think Johnny started the use of the cross handle, especially for combat.  A piece of dowel(or a carved hand grip) drilled crosswise for a piece of heavy music wire with loops in the ends.  You held it palm down for level flight(making the top line up).  Inverted you  flipped your hand to the other side palm up.  That made the down line what turned you away from the ground.  Took a bit of learning but worked well for some people.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
That was called the Ring King handle.  Some of those youngsters learned to fly with it and couldn't use anything else for stunt or whatever.  I considered trying it but had gotten too use to my Hot Rock, and that was a whole different range of wrist movement in a different plain-like learning to run sideways.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here