Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Combat

Gotcha Speed Limit by Phil Cartier: enya 29?

(1/3) > >>

Derek Shapka:
Hi Everyone, been mostly reading lots of threads. Amazing amount of information on here.

I have a question about an appropriate engine for the gotcha Speed Limit. Pretty ignorant here so bear with me. I'm a sport flyer that wants something to fly on windy days and land in long grass. 

I ordered the subject kit from Phil a few years ago and am getting around to it now.  I'm pretty sure it was intended for a OS25LA.  I'm wondering if an Enya square throat 29 5224 would work OK?  From the reading I've done I understand that this was intended as a racing engine and perhaps not for traditional stunt 4-2-4.  It might be a bit heavier by .5 oz than the la, I should weight them and figure that out.

I'd intend to run a bladder with open exhaust. 

Good idea? Bad idea? On this airframe.

C.T. Schaefer:
Great idea!  These older engines still have a lot to give and the Enya is a good one.  If you have the #3 venturi use it with bladder or , maybe, bore one out to about .300.  Start with 9x6 or 9x5 prop and use  PM 10 - 22 fuel or something like that with plenty of oil.

Paul Smith:
Enya's are good, but not as strong as they look. 

Depending on the speed limit (70, 75, or 80) I think you will need to choke to down more to get legal.  Maybe start at .240" with a spray bar across it. 

My solution has always been to clean the venturi and epoxy it shut with JB Weld.  Then drill it to the smallest size that might work.  If it's too slow, drill it bigger.

Derek Shapka:
Awesome, thanks for the advice and baseline set up suggestions. This should be a enjoyable tuning exercise, looking forward to it.

I do have the complete engine options for this enya. Venturi #1-3 and both the 7:1 and 9:1 compression cylinder head options.  Interestingly it appears to maybe have an oversized crank requiring me to ream out the prop(s) to 7mm.   The calipers measured 6.85mm vs the more standard 1/4" or 6.35mm.

The piston cylinder fit is very good on the engine.  I observed zero bleed off when you hold it at TDC. Probably be a good idea to watch rod wear.

Derek Shapka:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version