News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gotcha Speed Limit by Phil Cartier: enya 29?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Derek Shapka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Gotcha Speed Limit by Phil Cartier: enya 29?
« on: April 14, 2022, 04:13:21 PM »
Hi Everyone, been mostly reading lots of threads. Amazing amount of information on here.

I have a question about an appropriate engine for the gotcha Speed Limit. Pretty ignorant here so bear with me. I'm a sport flyer that wants something to fly on windy days and land in long grass. 

I ordered the subject kit from Phil a few years ago and am getting around to it now.  I'm pretty sure it was intended for a OS25LA.  I'm wondering if an Enya square throat 29 5224 would work OK?  From the reading I've done I understand that this was intended as a racing engine and perhaps not for traditional stunt 4-2-4.  It might be a bit heavier by .5 oz than the la, I should weight them and figure that out.

I'd intend to run a bladder with open exhaust. 

Good idea? Bad idea? On this airframe.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Re: Gotcha Speed Limit by Phil Cartier: enya 29?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 05:22:04 AM »
Great idea!  These older engines still have a lot to give and the Enya is a good one.  If you have the #3 venturi use it with bladder or , maybe, bore one out to about .300.  Start with 9x6 or 9x5 prop and use  PM 10 - 22 fuel or something like that with plenty of oil.

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 08:40:01 AM »
Enya's are good, but not as strong as they look. 

Depending on the speed limit (70, 75, or 80) I think you will need to choke to down more to get legal.  Maybe start at .240" with a spray bar across it. 

My solution has always been to clean the venturi and epoxy it shut with JB Weld.  Then drill it to the smallest size that might work.  If it's too slow, drill it bigger.

Paul Smith

Offline Derek Shapka

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 07:56:43 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice and baseline set up suggestions. This should be a enjoyable tuning exercise, looking forward to it.

I do have the complete engine options for this enya. Venturi #1-3 and both the 7:1 and 9:1 compression cylinder head options.  Interestingly it appears to maybe have an oversized crank requiring me to ream out the prop(s) to 7mm.   The calipers measured 6.85mm vs the more standard 1/4" or 6.35mm.

The piston cylinder fit is very good on the engine.  I observed zero bleed off when you hold it at TDC. Probably be a good idea to watch rod wear.

Offline Derek Shapka

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 05:18:30 AM »
Yeah, some Enyas have the 7mm shaft.  Probably a decent idea to use the low comp head until you make sure the engine is fully broken in. Good point about the rod. Thats why we like the PM  GMA fuel. It has a great oil package!

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
In my experience, it's taken a lot of bench running and some flying to get an Enya to the point of full performance.

Sadly, I lost one to crankshaft failure and another to rod failure that took out all the moving parts.  My remaining Eynas will be run as docile stunt/sport engines and not pushed to their limits.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:00:11 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Derek Shapka

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 11:35:29 AM »
Hi C. T. looked up the fuel PM 10% fuel you suggested. It looks like great stuff, castor synthetic blend.  I'll keep my eye out for it here, not currentlystocked. I've been using sigs 10% nitro 25% all castor for my old McCoy 35s and topping up omega 15% nitro with castor oil from sig so it's about 50%/50% synth/castor blend at a about 20% total oil for the Enyas. They seem to like a bit less oil.

Wow Paul a crank failure? Did it shear at the intake window?

I recall some of the older Enya rods don't have oil holes or a chamfer to help with lubrication. I might look and add a chamfer if there is nothing.  Bummer it took out the whole engine for you.  Dang. 

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 06:14:58 AM »
Not to get too chatty here but I shared Pauls experiences years ago with the Enya .35.  Early days of .35 sport racing which morphed into slo rat.  The Enya snapped a shaft and and later on the wrist pin. But, the .29 I had led  a happier life first in a  profile proto ship and then in a B-Team racer.    PS  The Sig fuel is also very good!

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
Hi C. T. looked up the fuel PM 10% fuel you suggested. It looks like great stuff, castor synthetic blend.  I'll keep my eye out for it here, not currentlystocked. I've been using sigs 10% nitro 25% all castor for my old McCoy 35s and topping up omega 15% nitro with castor oil from sig so it's about 50%/50% synth/castor blend at a about 20% total oil for the Enyas. They seem to like a bit less oil.

Wow Paul a crank failure? Did it shear at the intake window?

I recall some of the older Enya rods don't have oil holes or a chamfer to help with lubrication. I might look and add a chamfer if there is nothing.  Bummer it took out the whole engine for you.  Dang.

No. As I recall, the disk part broke just below the crankpin.  This was the model previous to the current 5224.  I still have out of two that vintage running.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 07:36:35 PM »
Hi Derek,
Are you planning on building the combat  wing/stabilator version, or the sport/stunt fuselage version with a standard stab/elevator?

Either one could handle the Enya, 29 or 35.  Due to the slight extra weight you might have to lengthen the tail boom/fuselage a bit to get the balance point positioned properly.
Ordinarlily these planes seem to do best with the balance point on the spar.  The Enya is, I think, about 1/2 oz heavier than an OS LA 25.
Get all this trimming done before completing the plane.  It's a lot easier to get the plane setup close to optimum before completely finishing it.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Derek Shapka

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 11:17:07 PM »
Hi Derek,
Are you planning on building the combat  wing/stabilator version, or the sport/stunt fuselage version with a standard stab/elevator?

Either one could handle the Enya, 29 or 35.  Due to the slight extra weight you might have to lengthen the tail boom/fuselage a bit to get the balance point positioned properly.
Ordinarlily these planes seem to do best with the balance point on the spar.  The Enya is, I think, about 1/2 oz heavier than an OS LA 25.
Get all this trimming done before completing the plane.  It's a lot easier to get the plane setup close to optimum before completely finishing it.

Phil C

Thanks Phil appreciate the advice.  I was planning to build the wing + arrow shaft stabilizer version.  Great thought, i'll dry fit and shoot for the c.g. at the spar by lengthening the boom.   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here