News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: good stuff on flying lines  (Read 774 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
good stuff on flying lines
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
There are a couple of good articles on flying lines site this month on speed limit combat and equipment.  I re drew the airplane they have featured up there but they have not re-posted it yet. 

Questions:

In your area of the country can you use .015 with .15 engines?  Or are .018 always required? 

Personally I like fast sized airplanes with .25 or .28.  I am going to try F2d stuff with obsolete Fd2 motors next year. 

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: good stuff on flying lines
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
Around here, we use the line sizes per The AMA Rule Book:

Thus .015" for .15's and .018" for the bigger engines.

However, this is something of a moot point in that the 15's don't seem to be at all competative.  Sure they fly OK alone and without a streamer.  But with equal-size streamers, the little engines take a big hit on streamer drag.  Not to mention getting the streamer in the prop if they do score a cut, or worse yet, snagging a streamer with the lines.   Did we talk about what happens in line tangles?

The guys who run FP25's and choked-down 36's welcome anybody who wants to take a poke at 15's in Speed Limit.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here

Advertise Here