News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 36x  (Read 1594 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 36x
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
So I am looking to buy Fox 36 combat engine. Can anyone tell me if the Fox 36x is a good motor? Also, do they all have slanted plugs or just some versions? Thanks.
Kevin.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fox 36x
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 03:23:51 PM »
The X bb is our favorite around these parts especially with a gardner setup. Tuned to Scarinzi's "Blitz" article you'll be quite happy. Love the Henry and Ritchie needle valve!!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 06:26:36 PM »
The X bb is our favorite around these parts especially with a gardner setup. Tuned to Scarinzi's "Blitz" article you'll be quite happy. Love the Henry and Ritchie needle valve!!

Tom
Tom thanks for the reply because I know nothing about these engines. All of them seem to have crankcase fittings. one has an upgraded NVA. The rest have an insert in the venturi. I am looking to buy a fox 36 that will run on a bladder. I need help choosing the correct engine. I want to be sure if these engines will run on a bladder or will it need to be reworked or not. Its going into a VooDoo. And i dont know alot about combat engines.
Kevin King

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 06:33:45 PM »
This picture shows the pressure fitting on the backplate, and it has a different NVA. Plus where can i get a copy of Larry Scarinzi's "Blitz" article ? Thanks.
Kevin.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 07:44:46 PM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »

That helps
Motorman. That helps a lot. Thanks!

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the Blitz article, it's a good read but there's not much in there.

Hope that helps,
Motorman 8)

Normally, I wouldn't disagree with Walt regarding engine work. He knows far more than me  and may of known the content in the article prior to reading it. However, there is a whole lot of information regarding break-in, compression, and retiming the 35x/36x in the article. It will give you from 15 to 20 mph at least depending on the engine. Every 36x is different in fit, timing, and compression.
 I'll try to post the article here .

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
If you copy and paste this to your search engine this will take you to Outerzone and the blitz plan, then then the article, or 'Supplement'

blitz combat oz3049 article

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
Guys, can you also recommend the best bladder size I need to order? Its for the fox 36x.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »
This may save some repetition to Kevin.  If you want to add to/rewrite/suggest something different feel free.

to help you out here are some pointers.
the Fox36X is a bit of a fuel hog, but not as bad as a Nelson.  With two full syringes(60 ml)the Fox36X should run 4-5 miinutes.  The bladder is about 70mm long, approx. 120-40mm long with _2mm wall and 6.5mm o.d. with a fuel line fitting in one end and a plug(piece of empty 22casing, a bit of plastic or aluminum,  whatever.  Just make sure it DOESN'T LEAK or the fuel can destroy the plane.
Plastic line connectors with opposite fittings on a small plate can be useful when filling the bladder.  Use a fishing slide clip abour 30mm long,  Its best to solder the slider so it doesn't slip at the wrong time.
That brings up needle valves. Almost all the stock needel valve assemblies use too blunt a needle.  The simplest way to slow the fuel flow is by making the taper about 50% longer.You want to be able to adjust the flow from a fast drip to a solid flow about 3inches long in 1/2 turn.
OS had a 1a needle valve for the 10 and 15 engines but those are very hard to find.
The stock needle on most OS engine can be taken apart by pulling the needle out of the knurl and chucking it into a drill or a lathe(any size) and using a sharp file or Dremel too to make the metering section 50% longer
A T8fluorescent tube cover is about 1-1/4in. in diameter.  A 7 in. piece will hold about  a bladder with ease.   I don'thave a VooDoo handy, but going by  a fuzzy plan, the mounts are space a bit more than 1.25, so it should fit a T8 cover.
By a bit of chance most sink drain tubes are 1-1/4 in diameter.  Get a 12-16 in. one.  I built a jig, a couple piices o 12mm ply spaced ~36mm apart.  Use the foam block with wing in it to size every thing.  A lightweight electric drill makes short work of making the cavity for the T8 tube.
Space the tube down a bit so the top of the wing is about 3mm below the surface and close to the high point of the wing, ahead of the spars.
Make a window about 9-10mm wide over the tube after gluing it in place. and a round or oval entry hole 3mm from the motor mount.

For the smaller planes the T10 tubing, ~3/4in (or 18mm) diameter.  I've got red-coated tubing with a 1/4in id and a 1/32in wall.  It doesn't hold up as well as the heavier tubing, but that applies way too much pressure  for the little engines.
Most people use 20-30% nitro for the big engines with 20% synthetic lubricant, often with 5% castor oil, especially for iron/steel setups like the 36x.

That covers combat bladders pretty much.  Call or email on Stunthagar to get in touch.  I'm still having trouble with the earthlink address.

Cheers,
Phil Cartier
717-566-3810
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 07:12:57 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »
Hi Phil, Thanks for sharing this info. I have a question about this where you state "Plastic line connectors with opposite fittings on a small plate can be useful when filling the bladder.  Use a fishing slide clip about 30mm long,  Its best to solder the slider so it doesn't slip at the wrong time."

Do you have a photo or sketch of this description?: I dont quite understand. does the fishing slide clip go on to the fuel line on the airplane just aft of the motor? And also the small plate, where does that go?

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:39:03 AM by kevin king »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here