News:

• April 16, 2024, 09:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank for 35 size Combat Cat?  (Read 27421 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tank for 35 size Combat Cat?
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:45:43 PM »
Can anyone tell me where to get a tank for a Combat Cat, or the info to modify one to work on suction? No crankcase pressure preferred

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Tank for 35 size Combat Cat?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 02:24:30 AM »
              Kevin, I don't have the plans in front of me but most of the planes used a Veco T-21 which I believe is a 3 oz. wedge. It's a little on the small side but the bigger problem is the venting. With the overflow sticking out of the bottom, one is sure to rip it out on landing.  In addition, when the pickup exits the front of the wedge, this also proves problematic because it's usually in the center of the leading edge. I typically re plumb the pickup exiting on the bottom and make it follow the bottom of the tank until it extends out of the front. This is soldered to the bottom of the tank. This also places the fuel line in a straight position to the needle valve without going down and then up. With so many needed modifications, it would be practical to purchase a tank kit from Brodak this way you know that your tank is soldered and built correctly. The kits are offered in several different oz sizes. Tanks are another item of our hobby which is disappearing.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 02:42:57 AM »
Hello
I like plastic tanks with copper lines set up in uniflow mode (when not running a bladder).
The common 4 ounce size is a little big but still works fine if you canter the pickup side out.
Recently tried the plastic Sullivan bullet 3.5oz tank with a OSAX35 and it worked very well.
https://sullivanproducts.com/product/bullet-tanks/

Regards Gerald

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 04:41:57 AM »
If you are building the Cat as the kit is, with the engine offset and the tank behind the engine, you can use a T-21 modified for uniflo. 3 oz will give you a good ride.  TS

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 07:44:59 AM »
There was always a variety on combat tank size strategy.

The five-minute tank: get all the air time you can get.

The two minutes tank:  Make a pit stop and win by one cut.  The better engine run and lighter plane will help you get the cut.

My plan:  the 3:30 tank.  Get 210 seconds and lead by a cut and just stay down.

Modern thinking.  The 90-second tank.  With a Nelson or Fora.  Just go for the kill.

For Combat Cat as a sport plane I would use a three ounce tank that fits into the space available. 

Paul Smith

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 09:12:57 PM »
Hi Kevin.
I’ll check my Combat Cat plans and see if I have a suitable tank kicking around. If not I can probably make one for you.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 01:11:09 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 09:28:10 PM »
Here's a Veco tank in a Combat Cat. Fuel tube bent 90 degrees and nested into the groove in the LE. Running pressure to the ST-C35. Haven't flown it much, but didn't have any issues. I suspect it would work on suction as well if the vent was facing forward--but haven't tried that. I dislike "glued-in" tanks so put an access hatch on this one.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here