News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fish line used in Speed Limit combat ???  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fish line used in Speed Limit combat ???
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
When fish line is used in Speed Limit Combat, what is the accepted product?

The practice seems to be gaining acceptance, so what should a contestant or event director look for?

Speed Limit is a unique event in that the contestant is not striving for maximum speed, but rather to hit certain speed, so the variance in line drag is not so much as issue.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:17:31 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fish line used in Speed Limit combat ???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Power Pro brand Spectra line made in the USA. 100lb test is what is required for speed limit. Buy the hi-viz yellow or white.  There are other brands but Power Pro is the ONLY one made from Spectra which is what AMA calls for. Beware of good deals on Ebay, it's probably Chinese counterfeit.  https://www.tackledirect.com/powerpro-braided-spectra-fiber-fishing-line-hi-vis-yellow-500-yds.html?mainc=PWR-0260-3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uq17tfR3AIVF4ezCh3xogeaEAQYASABEgKQp_D_BwE
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
... Buy the hi-viz yellow or white ...

The camo-colored line works just fine.  Except for being able to see it against the grass.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
The camo-colored line works just fine.  Except for being able to see it against the grass.
All the colors work fine, that wasn't my point, visibility was. If you are going to use it buy the stuff everyone can see. I've seen guys tripping left and right over the black/camo lines. Very few miss the hi-viz yellow.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
OK, 100-pounds was what I was looking for. 
The huttin n fission chop by me didn't have all the colours so I took what I could get.
From what I hear, people tripping over it doesn't hurt anyway, except made for those who fall down.

I got a ruling from MAAC Headquarters in Toronto.  7-strand wire rope is still the law of the land up there, or should I say, up here?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:32:53 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
All the colors work fine, that wasn't my point, visibility was. If you are going to use it buy the stuff everyone can see. I've seen guys tripping left and right over the black/camo lines. Very few miss the hi-viz yellow.

Oh dang.  I forgot the smiley face again, didn't I?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Power Pro brand Spectra line made in the USA. 100lb test is what is required for speed limit. Buy the hi-viz yellow or white.  There are other brands but Power Pro is the ONLY one made from Spectra which is what AMA calls for. Beware of good deals on Ebay, it's probably Chinese counterfeit.  https://www.tackledirect.com/powerpro-braided-spectra-fiber-fishing-line-hi-vis-yellow-500-yds.html?mainc=PWR-0260-3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uq17tfR3AIVF4ezCh3xogeaEAQYASABEgKQp_D_BwE

There are other brands that use Spectra, which is a Honeywell trade name, that have the same characteristics.  There is also the European version, made by another company, called Dyneema that is equally strong.  The 100lb test is nominally the same size as 20lb. monofilament line, .46mm or 0.01811in.

To get a reasonable measurement, if you don't want to trust the package, put a few pounds of pull on the line and use the mike or calipers gently.  It will read very close to .018.  Since I've seen plenty of stainless lines that measured .0175, and some of the 4 strand F2D type lines are just as strong or stronger and measure .016in. the measured diameter is not terribly critical.  Measuring stranded cable is mostly guesswork anyway.  At one time I talked to an engineer at National Standard wire.  He said they made .018 line by squishing .021 line to size.

If, as a CD you are worried, test each line separately at the 35 lb. pull test.  If it can't take that and breaks the line wasn't anywhere near specifications.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
It's not just strength, it's equality, too. 

Events like Combat and Racing need to set a standard for all contestants. 
They used to have "just pass the pull test" in FAI speed.  That encouraged finding ultra - expensive thin wire to gain advantage. 

I agree that nominal 7-strand wire is generally not what it's sold as. 
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »
It's not just strength, it's equality, too. 

Events like Combat and Racing need to set a standard for all contestants. 
They used to have "just pass the pull test" in FAI speed.  That encouraged finding ultra - expensive thin wire to gain advantage. 

I agree that nominal 7-strand wire is generally not what it's sold as. 

Testing each line separately was meant as a soother for the Event Director.  It's not a substitute for using the right line material or the standard pull test.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here