News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAI lines for sport flying?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FAI lines for sport flying?
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
          Hello All:

I have been using FAI lines that were made in the Ukraine for sport flying.  I have run into the problem that they seem to cling to each other a make handle/bell crank movement difficult. This prevented me from recovering from inverted while flying a Shark 15! These lines are steel, very spring like, stiff, and like to tangle when reeling off of the storage reel leading to many loops that must be untangled.

These look like they may be 3 strand and they will rust.  I have been wiping them down with silicone and at times using a clean solvent cloth to clean and straighten them prior to use.  Perhaps I should apply a dry lubricant such as moly to the wires to get them to slide against each other without excessive friction.

Perhaps I should stop bating my head against the wall and start using fishing line. Lol

Suggestions/comments?

Frank McCune

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: FAI lines for sport flying?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:05:16 PM »
Eastern European lines are known for kinking and rusting. Combat guys tend to toss them after a short time for various reasons.

I found the Russian and Ukrainian flyers used kerosene to clean lines . This cleans and lubricates the lines .

Yaro sells premade stainless lines for F2D (.015) and .018 for speed limit . www.aerolux.ca

Brad

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
My bad . Yaro's site is at www.aerohobby.ca . Sorry about that.

Brad

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »
Ukraine lines are great for F2D and are stronger than 7 strand stainless. They will also cut thru 7-strand stainless in a line wrap which is why they are used universally in competitive F2D. They are also not as user friendly and are somewhat "angry to role/unrole and untwist, and some will rust. If you're just sport flying it is much easier to use 7 strand stainless. Bulk line is available from MBS or RSM or you can buy pre-made lines from several sources like Brodak, Sig, etc. H^^
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
yah, razor wire has advantages, but mostly when flying F2D and you want to saw through your opponent's lines.
I use it now and then but never let it get twisted up.

K

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here