News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: be careful  (Read 605 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
be careful
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:37:40 AM »
http://picasaweb.google.com/sieglerdave0/Stove#

Excuse the typos, I am using one hand.  Just got back from boscobel f2d.

This is a 2 day contest, but day 1 saturday was more of a funfly than anything.  After their quick contest, they flew practice matches all day.  The matches were very good.  No cutaways, and the shutoffs worked in crashes.  Most were the swing arm type, some were the line pll type. 

It is a good chance for me to learn F2d,  but while learning the between the leg starting drill, I put a hand in the prop.... 5 stitches. A visit to the emergency room, way out of network......  The ER was only 5 blocks from the site, and it bled pretty bad.  Gota be more careful.  It was totally my fault. I should have used my right hand to pull the plug wire, instead I reached across the LE of the wing and hit my knuckle.  The russian props make APC's look like butter knives.

It still was a fun day.  I could not fly because it is my left (flying) hand. 

A full up F2d is a handfull for me but, now that I have lines bladders, props and pitting figured out mostly, I can practice on my own, or with limited help.  I need to do that.  I am still a hack, but every time i get to fly with someone I solve the next series of issues. 

I was having trouble, and the setup I was using just was not going to work.  The needle was almost all the way out and the fuel flow was erratic.  The bladder did not develop enough pressure to work with the russian needle valve in my F2d engine.   I use same bladder on my speed limit stuff and it works well.  Tom figured it out in 5 minutes, but I spent several saturdays working on it and getting mad.  There is so much tribal knowledge in combat and stunt, control line in general, that you can get frustrated on your own.  You almost can't do it alone. 

Who was there?  Chris Gay, Dave Edwards, Bob Burch, Emiel Opffer, Tom Siegler and I.  I was the only one that did not wreck a plane.  A great bunch of guys.  We had dinner at the Opffer ranch.  Everyone else flushed the mud out of their expensive little engines for sunday's matches.  They ought to have a better turnout on sunday.

Out in the cold all day, I am bushed  The hand is going to be ok, just a deep wound on the knuckle
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: be careful
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
Is this Wisconsin?

Did you see Brad LaPointe? 

Can't find him around here
Paul Smith

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
yes western wisconsin, he was not there saturday.  don't know about today
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
Paul,
   I've been planting winter wheat for the last 2 days.This wet fall has my building / flying backed up a couple of weeks.If the weather holds, Wednesday should be a good day to go fly.

Dave,I wish things could have worked out.The contest in Boscabel sounds like a lot of fun.F2D's are not a lot of fun to start on cold days.We use the heat gun to warm them up and they start like summer.

Brad

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here