News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F2D Mufflers  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Steve Wilk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
F2D Mufflers
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:39:26 AM »
I'm looking for info on mufflers for F2D. 
I'm trying to converting a Rossi Mk II 15 and I need a muffler.
I'm tring to find the ID dimention where the muffler conects to the engine for the following engines.

Fora
Viper
Profi

Steve

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: F2D Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
I've had a similar interest in putting mufflers on my existing Rossi, Conquest, and Nelson engines so as to utilitze them in F2d.

I'm afraid this is an uphill battle to say the least.  The current $300 F2d engines were designed with mufflers from the ground up and they weight half the weight of a retrofitted old school engine.

I'm still thinking of giving it a go for the sport of it, but I don't expect to be competative. 

For only $1,200, you can get a four-pack of the real deal, so don't sink too much into the old motors.

Plan B might be to find (or found) others events for the old 15's.

Paul Smith

Offline Steve Wilk

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
Hi Paul

I think I have it mostly figures out.  You can still get 15 degree off set motor mounts from Mejzlik.  That tilt maybe enough if you can angle the muffler a little.  My Redco mufflers fit the Rossi 15 so I hopes some of the others will as well.  I'm hoping to also use the Rossi's in 75mph but our local club requires a muffler. 

Steve

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
Steve, you'd best check the dB's.  F2D "mufflers" are pretty token when it comes to making the engines quieter.  Most of the noise actually seems to come from the prop and intake.

The F2D rules are pretty specific on the size.  I did some measurements, and a stock MACs header pipe is just about the right size.  All it needs is a proper size stinger on the outlet.  The dimensions are >12.5 cc's, and less than 15 cm from the piston face to the end of the outlet, which has to be smaller than 8 mm. id.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Wilk

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
Hi Phil

The club say I have to have a muffler.  I just need to make an effort to lessen the sound.  The club is almost all stunt now.  The muffler is mostly for looks I guess. 

Steve

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:03:31 AM »
What I'd do instead is use a mousse can muffler. Fairly easy to make, no need for welding, but of course it won't be as nice a fit on a RTF F2D plane as a F2D muffler would be.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:31:05 PM »
you could also make an F2D legal muffler, "mousse" can style from a small butane canister.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
This could just as easily be posted on Carrier, Scale, Stunt, or Combat, but you asked it here, so here goes.....

This setup has survived several bench runs and three flights. 

It:

Reduces the noise level.
Make the engine idle better.
Satisfies F2d rules with it's 8 mm oraface.

Materials: 1" square tubing from Home Depot, Permatex hi temp gasket sealer from Pep Boys, silicone sheet from McMaster (not really needed), 1.5" 4/40 bolts.

ps: This not my entry in the muffler and test stand beauty contest.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:59:38 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here