News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engines for speed limit?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Engines for speed limit?
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:25:47 PM »
I have a couple Russian f2d planes and considering entering SL at the Nats. I haven’t flown combat since the year of the flyaway in Lincoln NE that lit up the airport power lines.
I figured two planes should get me as far as I’m likely to get but I need at least one engine. I thought OS .25 LA or FP but not sure if they run well enough pulling a streamer. I have one FP I can use but need to turn up a venturi for it as it is an RC version.
I better get some lines tied too. What length and diameter for a .25 size in speed limit? I think I have plenty of bladder material and other supplies.

Matt

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Engines for speed limit?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
.018 x 60' lines
LA and FP .25 are fine for SL, 8x5 master airscrew scimitar is a good prop for either one.
Add tail weight and tip weight, and don't be shy about the latter :)
MAAC 8177

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
K and B 28 is working great for me.  http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/controlline.htm
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
If you want to risk an expensive engine several people fly with F2D motors(old ones) on6-6.5in. props, trimmed down, smaller venturi(don't know the size).  This setup turns a bit tighter but has more trouble in the wind.  The longer lines do make the plane more touchy so longer mounts or weight, or other trimming is needed.

The K&B 28 is a nicely built engine form MECOA.  They'll build it up with a venturi and needle valve for C/L.  Performance wise it is pretty much even with the OS engines, but an ounce heavier, so the plane either needs to be a bit bigger or some other adjustment.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here