News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: East Coast Combat Championships and Good August 2021  (Read 993 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
East Coast Combat Championships and Good August 2021
« on: May 17, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
August 9, 2021  East Coast Speed Limit Combat

A long running contest, I recovered enough from the pneumonia to run this again, with valiant help from Dave Edwards, Fred Quendenfeld, and several of the flyers judging.  Dave has the format down pat and the contest ran smoothly.

Simple rules: one or both planes can be timed in any match for two laps at 9ft or higher.  A plane is timed for two complete level laps(the lower the better for the contestant and must clock at least 7.3 sec/2 laps.  If a model is faster than 7.3 sec/2 laps they get a 2nd chance.  If it is still to fast the pilot may land and fix the problem or forfeit the match.

Any airplane, any engine up to a 40 plain bearing engine is allowed.  Engines .40 cu.in. below .40 can be ball bearing.
5min. match.  Standard streamers and scoring and all other combat rules apply.  SAFETY FIRST!

This year the winners were Roy Glenn- 1916, Phil Cartier- 1761, Mike Stinson-1706.
the other five flyers will escape notoriety,

Many thanks to Mary Cartier for bringing the sub sandwiches and iced tea, Fred Quedenfeld for a lot of judging, and Dave Edwards for running the matching/scoring.  Other flyers helped as they could with scoring, and moving planes and pitting.

Everybody went away happy, if not satisfied.

Just because everybody was so helpful the weather was great with no rain, so heavy winds, and soft dirt.

The Harrisburg Aeromodeling Society has run this contest from about 1978- different names, different times, but always lots of good fun.

May 18, 2021

CONGRATULATIONS
DAVE EDWARDS

For pulling it OUT This Year!

He also managed to very calmly fly 4 good matches and win first.

Thanks from me, all the HAMS, all the contstants, and helpful spectators.

Phil Cartier
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:51:40 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: East Coast Combat Championships and Good People
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 10:31:24 AM »
Thanks Phil for another great contest! The weather was so nice that Tom L, Jim V, and I hung around for another 2 hours trimming out my Nelson 36 powered Psycho. Tom also put in a few Maiden flights on his beautiful new enlarged Super Satan, also powered with a Nelson 36. Both planes flew extremely well and even drew in  few spectators that we're walking around the park.
Al

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: East Coast Combat Championships and Good People
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 07:30:10 PM »
Have to add some up front data, not the like that Al Ferraro, Tom Loglisci, and Jim Vigani just put on a ton of mostly tryiing different things and a few extra combat matches just for fun.

On contest reporting, I really can't say much, not even a picture.
I was still fighting a bout of bacterial pneumonia that started in the third week or so of April.  I'm going to take a moment to cheer my Dr. Andrew Wren DO,  Doctor of Osteopathy.  They all take a year long final course.  He learned a lot.  I HOPE I have.

Pneumonia started about April 28.  Around the 5-6 it it dawned on me that I wasn't getting better.  I sent him a note in the afternoon(What, ME worry_.  He sent one back in no uncertain terms:  Go to the ER as soon as you can. They'll be getting notes and info and IV antibiotics.  After wasting an ER for over a day.  I "got to stay" stuffed in a small store room.  Fortunately t cleaned up and got  to go home for more injected antibiotics, and several other drugs.

The rest of the time, besides not exercising too much I got what equipment I had into the van.

NO flying for me! Naughty kid!
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here