News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Early 60s fast ships  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Early 60s fast ships
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm hoping someone can identify the fast ships in this picture. Time frame would be 1964-1966. They are my Dads planes. I know he built and flew Voodoos, along with a lot of his own designs. Would like  to build some that he remembers. I have plans and original ribs(thanks H. Rush) for the Voodoo. I also have a Blackhawk demon kit, and a Super Satan short kit. My father won his  first combat contest in 1953(age14) flying a Happy Jack(?). Anyone have a picture or plans?
Thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Early 60s fast ships
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:31:55 PM »
Steve I can't help but welcome to the madness. There are several of us building the combat ships of yesteryear

Jim Welch has some beauties as does Bob Mears, Andre Ming, Ken Cook, Ken Burdick and don't miss the thread from Riley Wooten on combat 50 and 60s if you haven't read it yet
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
Those are all VooDoo's, or at least started that way. Looks like they have butt tips and some different motor mounts.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
I'm hoping someone can identify the fast ships in this picture. Time frame would be 1964-1966. They are my Dads planes. I know he built and flew Voodoos, along with a lot of his own designs. Would like  to build some that he remembers. I have plans and original ribs(thanks H. Rush) for the Voodoo. I also have a Blackhawk demon kit, and a Super Satan short kit. My father won his  first combat contest in 1953(age14) flying a Happy Jack(?). Anyone have a picture or plans?
Thanks
Steve

I don't remember a model called the Happy Jack but it could have been a Jumping Jack from Consolidated Models. Relatively short wingspan and short coupled fuselage. The consolidated Jubilee probably replaced it. I saw the Jumping Jack in the local hobby shop but bought the Jubilee it looker better to me.

Dennis

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
Dennis, you are probably right about the Jumping Jack. When I typed Happy it didn't sound right. I know that he flew Voodoos  and Rush's Nemesis. He told me never had Combat Cats. I believe he flew the delta wings(Half fast, etc) some early on. he told me that he flew against R. Wooten once. Said "I was thinking I was just about lined up for the kill, next thing I know the match was over." He did sit and talk to R. Wooten at the enlisted club afterwards.
 I've got 2 period correct engines so far, Fox 36x and a Super tiger.35(setup for crankcase pressure). I need to get my airframes finished. One of the guys I fly with is building a Demon. It would be nice to have a Voodoo or Super Satan in the circle with him.
  Later
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:04:36 AM »
Two of the Voodoos in your first photo look like they may have "Fast Fill" tanks, which had round rubber fittings that extended about 1/2 inch above the center wing planking. Rat guys used them, too.

In your second photo, the bird on the left white mat looks like a Voodoo with wingtips. The one on the right mat may be a Blitz. Looks like a built-up fuselage "Combat" Flite Streak in the top left corner of the photo, and another Voodoo behind your left shoulder.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:21:58 AM by Chad Hill »

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
Here is a great photo of Barry Hobkirk (speed and scale champion) with one of my all time favorites.

K

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
Here is a great photo of Barry Hobkirk (speed and scale champion) with one of my all time favorites.

K

Snapper, senior nats winning model

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
Is there anything that is done different(construction wise) if you use iron on  covering instead of silk and dope? As much as I would like to use dope, I don't think the fumes would be good for us. My father was using Fascal late60s-early70s, I suppose other covering will work.
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
Hi Steve!

Welcome to the Wild Side!  Flying your vintage combat airplanes will be a huge RUSH for you!

As for coverings:  I've been using Monocote since '72 with no ill effects.  No need to beef up the old designs to use Monocote, they'll be fine seeing as Monocote is pretty tough stuff.  I intend to try Ultracote on one of my "next ones". 
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »

Ken,
              The blue and white model in your photo looks a lot like the Ambroid Scrapper, which was a combat kit available in the early 1960's.  Ambroid also kitted the contest stunter, the Ares, which I built in 1967.  I never saw a Scrapper in real life, but it is a neat little plane and I am sure it was a good flier.   D>K

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »

Ken,
              The blue and white model in your photo looks a lot like the Ambroid Scrapper, which was a combat kit available in the early 1960's.  Ambroid also kitted the contest stunter, the Ares, which I built in 1967.  I never saw a Scrapper in real life, but it is a neat little plane and I am sure it was a good flier.   D>K

Ken your right, it is the Scrapper, as they say I was so close. Even worse I have the plans for the model. Also available from Barry Baxter.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
Yes, it's the Scrapper. Kitted by Ambroid was likely the worst kit ever produced and made up of bits and pieces they had left over. It didn't even have hardwood motor mounts! Just ply over that junk balsa.
They flew great though and I had built two of them as a kid.  The one in the picture fly's pretty darn nice.

K

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Ambroid bought out a failing company and rebranded some their old stuff. 
They also made some very nice new kits including the Stuka. 
Some their rebranded products had great boxes and decals and not much else.

The Scrapper was $4.95 in the day you could buy TWO Voodoos or Combat Cats for the price.  With a 75-cent minimumwage that made a BIG difference.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
Is there anything that is done different(construction wise) if you use iron on  covering instead of silk and dope? As much as I would like to use dope, I don't think the fumes would be good for us. My father was using Fascal late60s-early70s, I suppose other covering will work.

I wanted my ships to look like I used silkspan since that is what I always used as a kid. But dope is just too much trouble. So I use 1.5 laminating film. I spray rustolium primer on the back side. Just kind of mist it. The smoother the better. I did a better job on the Raunchy than the Nemisis in these pics. I spray the frame work with 3M77 and let it sit for about 30 min before I start covering. Looks old, works new.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
Bob both of them look great

For my nostalgia combat birds I am building was planning on silk and dope. I have two Demons waiting finishing and think I will try your method on one of them first to see if I like the ease and effect..I have some clear film from Jeff Dawson for combat foam wings that has backing sheet and probably twice the thickness of and Phil Cartier's SLC which is probably too light for open frame wings

Is the Rustoleum a particular one?....for plastics? X2? It Sux to go to the store with something in mind to then see 5 or 6 varieties
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:24 PM »
Bob
 Where can I find this 1.5 laminating film you are using? Is this acraft store item?
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »
Would the 1.5 laminating film be the typical "Sealamin" covering we use on modern combat models?  The big rolls used from school suppliers?  If so, go to the Corehouse. I am pretty sure he sells modern combat covering film.  Be warned, the stuff is a bit tricky to use. 

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »
Bob
 Where can I find this 1.5 laminating film you are using? Is this acraft store item?
Steve
Ebay   http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rolls-1-5-mil-PET-Gloss-12-x-500-x-1-Core-Thermal-Laminating-Film-/222097264015?hash=item33b6074d8f:g:VmIAAMXQUmFSfUXa

or book stores have it also. Sometimes the will give you the end rolls because they dont operate smoothe enough in their machines at the end of the roll. They just throw it away. Usually enough to 10 or more wings.

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
I got some roll ends from a printer in the club.
AMA 77370

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here