News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DEMON KITS BY BLACK HAWK MODELS  (Read 6365 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
DEMON KITS BY BLACK HAWK MODELS
« on: August 01, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
Anyone thinking about buying a Black Hawk Models DEMON kit this year, should do it soon as they are out of production and the current stock is limited.  They will be back in production late next year as we are moving our production line to a new building in Canada.

Larry

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
Re: DEMON KITS BY BLACK HAWK MODELS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
where in Canada?

Ken in Kamloops

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »
DELHI, ONTARIO

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
I built one of those as a Fast in 1973.  Today, it would work OK as an F2D or Speed Limit (OS 25) plane. 
It was a little smallish for the G21/35 in '73, but usable for matches.
Paul Smith

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »
Back in the summer of 1970, I learned to do stunts/basic combat using Fox 36X powered Demon's.  With a Fox 36X, silk/butyrate dope, it was not uncommon to have a total weight (sans fuel) of 16 oz.  The Demon is stable, yet still turns pretty good when balanced nicely. BE SURE to THOROUGHLY round the leading edge, otherwise weird airflow can result and the Demon will turn tighter one way than the other. Demon's will always have a place reserved for one on my flight line!

Here's my current Demon:

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »
the biggest problem with a Demon was lack of structural strength- 3/8 sq. leading edge, two quarter square spars, and two strips of 1/16in. for the trailing edge.  Covered in silk is was fairly stiff but easy to break in a midair.   Covered in plastic film it would literally disintegrate leaving nothing but the bellcrank on the lines.

The Quicker flew better, especially with the original 36in. wood for the spars and leading edge. 40 or so more square inches helped a lot.
phil Cartier

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »
It has been a lot of years since I flew any real combat, to old I guess.  Where I flew we tried to cut the streamer, not crash into the other plane.  As I remember it, many planes were bigger and sturdier than the Demon - but the Demon was faster and quicker than most of the others.  I do not know who is flying fast combat today and would want to use a Demon in a contest.  We offer it in kit form for those people who just want to enjoy flying a real combat champion again.  I do not know if there is anyone else making "Old Time" combat kits.

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
Phil, here we go again, someone putting out bad info. about something they must not know anything about.........FYI, the LE is 1/2" sq., spars are 3/16" x 3/8", and TE of 1/16" x 1-1/2" top and bottom has been proven on many combat and stunt ships, even today!!!  Covered in silk, as in the day it was a tough little plane and built right would never come apart in the air..  I used to have a saying "The only way to produce a perfect kit was to supply a builder in every box".   Almost all problems always go back to the builder.........

BTW the Demon was designed to be a very simple to build combat trainer, not a top line winner and as such served it's purpose.. And along the way won a lot more than I expected.... A lot of guys including James Mears and Howard Henry did quite well with them.
RW

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:50:30 AM »
Riley, I believe that you did pretty good flying a Demon too.

How are you doing?  When we last talked you were thinking about making some combat kits?
Thanks for setting the record straight.

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
FWIW: The Demon pictured above was built in August of 2000, covered in Monocote, and has MANY flites on it over 100 MPH as recently as last October.  Still doin' great.  "Back in the day" I never had a Demon disintegrate or fold in flight, and they were moving in the 110-115 MPH range then.

As they were intended, as mentioned above I used them as a combat trainer (they HAVE to be the fastest built-up wing kit to build EVER) and later used them to teach others to build and fly combat planes.  Sure, there are other designs that are "better"... but like I said above: There will ALWAYS be a Demon in my stack of fly-able planes!

Thanks Riley for SO MANY great designs that are still a blast to build and fly.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
TIME OUT!

I read right over this the first time through...

Larry said:

Riley... When we last talked you were thinking about making some combat kits?

Seriously?  Riley... are you really considering it?

Are you talking nostalgia kits?  Or, are we talking making modern foamie "thingies"?

IF you're talking your combat creations from back during combat's glory years well...

I would be up for ANY kits you produce, one in the box for collecting and ?? for building/flying.

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
When I was flying combat, I flew Sneekers and Demons , all with G21s on pacifiers. Demon was an easy build. Used Vienna sausage cans as pacifier tanks. Fun times.
I have finished the SWIFT that Riley designed. Still need to do some more test flying. Trying to get the 'old man' down here too fly it.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »
When I was flying combat, I flew Sneekers and Demons , all with G21s on pacifiers. Demon was an easy build. Used Vienna sausage cans as pacifier tanks. Fun times.
I have finished the SWIFT that Riley designed. Still need to do some more test flying. Trying to get the 'old man' down here too fly it.

I am in New Mexico mountains where it was 56 this am on the deck. Can't fly in that 103 degree heat, plus the very high humidity at lake........................ How about this fall??  I'm ready..
RW

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
TIME OUT!

I read right over this the first time through...

Larry said:

Seriously?  Riley... are you really considering it?

Are you talking nostalgia kits?  Or, are we talking making modern foamie "thingies"?

I am retired !!  I was tired yesterday and I am re-tired today !  Seriously, I was kicking it around at one time. Mostly some of my old designs, plus other famous planes from guys like Carl Berryman, Howard Rush, etc. if I could get ok's. Also some of my unknown designs as well as my 1955 "TEXAN" stunt ship.
Maybe some fun, easy to build stunt kits, that are a little different..........  I have a lot of ideas, but not the energy so it will probably never happen...........
RW

IF you're talking your combat creations from back during combat's glory years well...

I would be up for ANY kits you produce, one in the box for collecting and ?? for building/flying.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
Ah well, it was fun to think about the possibility of having some gen-u-ine "Riley kits" on the shelf n' stuff.  I can understand about being retired and not wanting the hassles anymore.  Enjoy your retirement!

I also understand about not wanting to deal with the HEAT in order to do something that's supposed to be fun.  I have to work in this heat. The LAST thing on my mind is going back out INTO the heat to "play".  Nope, sitting in A/C until I HAVE to go back into the heat is what I want to do!  Summers in the Sunbelt (and south/southwest Texas) surely sucks.

Besides, most of your vintage combat airplanes are easy builds (designed that way) if one has the plans.  Hardest part is matching up that shaped LE for the Voodoo.  Seems I can get shaped LE's that are a smidge too big, or a smidge too small.   To me, it would seem the foam Vampire would be the one that's not easily replicated by a scratch builder.

So many interests, so little time.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here