News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum XLS .36  (Read 1662 times)

Offline jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Magnum XLS .36
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Sometime in the future I want to start building a Full size voodoo, or super satan, or some similar combat plane, haven't made up my mined yet. Question here is can I use the Magnum xls .36 on one of these?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Magnum XLS .36
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
Why not use it?  May not be as fast as a pressurized engine, but I have several old combat designs I am still working fuel feed problems on.   Seems the design doesn't like uni-flo tank setups.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
Why not use it?  May not be as fast as a pressurized engine, but I have several old combat designs I am still working fuel feed problems on.   Seems the design doesn't like uni-flo tank setups.  D>K

It doesn't to be the fastest plane around, just enough to have some fun with

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
You should see some of my combos that run on suction,  Renegade with K&B Greenhead 35  Jerkline Special with OS 40,  Sweet Sweep with OS 25 and others.   Gilloutine with OS 40 Manx Cat with Fox 35.    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:59:38 AM »
            Jim, the Magnum is quite fast on pressure. A Magnum .32 with a large venturi with a 9x4 can almost hang with a Fox .36 MK III. In my opinion, the .36 is a better running engine. Phil Cartier was using one at least until it broke. The crank pin on the crankshaft are pressed in on these engines which can be a failure. In addition, the crankshaft can break at the cutout  when pushed. The bearings that come with the engine will work for a while but BOCA bearings sells economy bearings for this engine that work quite well.  Essentially keep the nitro moderate and the prop 4-5 pitch. The .36 is around 2oz. heavier which is  pretty heavy for the older designs but the Voodoo can have it's boom extended. The Demon is another good option. The diamond airfoil is a bit limiting but it's a simple design which can easily fly using that engine with extended booms.

Offline jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
You should see some of my combos that run on suction,  Renegade with K&B Greenhead 35  Jerkline Special with OS 40,  Sweet Sweep with OS 25 and others.   Gilloutine with OS 40 Manx Cat with Fox 35.    D>K

Those are all nice planes, the Sweet sweep I really like, that is sharp lookin. Maybe sometime i'll try luck at building one. Thanks for that John.

Offline jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
            Jim, the Magnum is quite fast on pressure. A Magnum .32 with a large venturi with a 9x4 can almost hang with a Fox .36 MK III. In my opinion, the .36 is a better running engine. Phil Cartier was using one at least until it broke. The crank pin on the crankshaft are pressed in on these engines which can be a failure. In addition, the crankshaft can break at the cutout  when pushed. The bearings that come with the engine will work for a while but BOCA bearings sells economy bearings for this engine that work quite well.  Essentially keep the nitro moderate and the prop 4-5 pitch. The .36 is around 2oz. heavier which is  pretty heavy for the older designs but the Voodoo can have it's boom extended. The Demon is another good option. The diamond airfoil is a bit limiting but it's a simple design which can easily fly using that engine with extended booms.

Ken do ya have to run it on pressure to make the magnum work on a combat ship? I really don't need to if don't have to.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
I blew the shaft on the Magnum 36 trying to get a fast engine cheap.  8/6 prop, 20% nitro, wide open venturing 7/16 or more diameter.  Clocked it at 95mph on .018 stainless lines.  Next flight it spit the front of the crank out.  Luckily the 32 crank is the same and I got a spare.

For some reason, probably the smaller bore, I never could get the 32 version to run well.  It was just fussy.

There would be no problem running this motor to fly 75-80 mph.  Just use a smaller venturi, somewhere in the range of 5/16-3/8in. diameter with the needle valve across it.  8/6 or 9/4 APC prop.

One relatively easy way to stiffen up the crank is to fill the front of the crankshaft with epoxy putty, JB Weld or PC-7 or similar.  Wire brush the inside of the crank thoroughly.  Clean it with strong soap and water and then methanol or other solvent.  Mix up some epoxy and pack it into the front of the crank.  Put a bit of a curve down in it starting at the front of the valve and curve it down to the ID at the back of the valve.  If you can, get a look at the inside of an F2D crank.  They do a similar thing with a phenolic plastic plug held in place with a set screw(much more work for a non-machinist).
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here