News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Streak Plans  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Combat Streak Plans
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
I have searched all plan dealers (mostly stunt) and could not find plans for the Combat Streak. Anyone know if they are avaliable commercially or if the plans existed.
I am concidering building one for sport and or stunt.
Jerry Bohn

Online Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
Re: Combat Streak Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Check out Barry Baxter's plans site at
        http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

He's got the Super Combat Streak by Geo. Aldrich, 1959.  I found it under "S" in the index.

Randy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:42 AM »
No wonder I myself couldn't find it.  I forgot about the "Super".  Will have to look at my kit box again.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
Thanks for the information. I also forgot to search Super.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 11:37:31 AM »
Forgot to ask if landing gear could be added to plane? I plan on using it for my first scratch built plane and sport flying.
Went to Barry's web site but could not print his order form, printed surrounding infromation but not the "form in blue background." No big deal, it's a simple form and I think a handwritten letter and payment should do it.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Check out Barry Baxter's plans site at
        http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

He's got the Super Combat Streak by Geo. Aldrich, 1959.  I found it under "S" in the index.

Randy

I am expecting my Super Combat Streak plans fromBarry before the weekend! ;D

I had one about 35 years ago. I liked it better than the "regular" Flite Streak due to the full fuselage.  I will probably start off with a BBTU OS 20FP.  I figure I can build it better now than I did back then, and if so I will use it as the Windy Weather contest plane for Advanced and Classic!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
Forgot to ask if landing gear could be added to plane? I plan on using it for my first scratch built plane and sport flying.
Went to Barry's web site but could not print his order form, printed surrounding infromation but not the "form in blue background." No big deal, it's a simple form and I think a handwritten letter and payment should do it.

Hi Jerry,

There are landing gear shown onthe plans.  I do not remember if they are single or dual wheel, but I'll let you know here when the plans arrive!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »
I flew one for many years as a kid my father built for me. Landing gear in wing (tail dragger) flew perfect,(McCoy .29 then fox.36x) I also want to build another as I am just getting back into control line.
AMA 13001

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 11:32:40 AM »
TY, Good idea, I'm sure he would give me good advice. It will be my first attempt at scratch building, sounds like even if its hit or miss on correct balsa selection (making it a bit heavy), I assume I can't really overpower it given the engines I have. Would be interested what Mr. Bill is using.
It just sounded like the right plane for my purpose, first scratch build, simple design,
and an old reliable design fo the engines I have. Plus fun, the most important ingrediant.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
TY, Good idea, I'm sure he would give me good advice. It will be my first attempt at scratch building, sounds like even if its hit or miss on correct balsa selection (making it a bit heavy), I assume I can't really overpower it given the engines I have. Would be interested what Mr. Bill is using.
It just sounded like the right plane for my purpose, first scratch build, simple design,
and an old reliable design fo the engines I have. Plus fun, the most important ingrediant.

Hi Jerry,

I got my plans yesterday from Barry.  Excellent CAD drawings!  The LG is the same as was in the profile Flite Streak kit (I didn't remember that) and is the single gear strut wired to F-2.

The plans show the "optional" original scratch building leading edge that GMA used as well as the kit's shaped LE.  A super simple "plans build" with the only hang up being the need to shape the LE and TE, but not at all hard to do with a razor plane and sanding block.

I will be using a "STOCK" OS 20FP, 9-4 APC prop and the OS 2030 muffler.  This is commonly referred to as the BBTU (Brett Buck Tune Up).  The engine runs in a "wet 2", has more power than needed as used and has the closest thing to a pipe run (with out the pipe) I have used.

I will also use a 2 wheel gear on mine, just because...... ;D

It is a great flying plane, I had the kit over 30 years ago and left it with a friend when I moved.  I used several engines, Fox 35, Fox 36X (9-8 and Missle Mist!) McCoy 35, etc., and they all flew it well.  It lies like the profile Flite Streak, builds a *little* lighter, and with the built up fuselage you get good engine runs.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »
Bill, Thanks for the insight of what to expect. I have a couple Fox 35's that I have not used in awhile. Both have stuffers, slant plug hemi heads and ST needle valves. They run real sweet althought I haven't blocked the port.
I also have an OS.25LA in my Barnstormer that could be retired after many repairs, but that may be too much grunt.
Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
Bill, Thanks for the insight of what to expect. I have a couple Fox 35's that I have not used in awhile. Both have stuffers, slant plug hemi heads and ST needle valves. They run real sweet althought I haven't blocked the port.
I also have an OS.25LA in my Barnstormer that could be retired after many repairs, but that may be too much grunt.
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

No need to block the bypass with the SCS.  The upright engine set up should be fine.  A good 10-5 prop, some 10% nitro 25% (or more) castor fuel, .015, 60' eye to eye lines, set her in a cackle on the ground and have a ball!!!!!!!  Actually it flies a very, very good stunt pattern. y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 09:23:29 AM »
I had (bought) one of those a "couple" of years back that had small operating wing flaps. Was that an option then, or had someone just gotten carried away. It flew great by the way with a screaming Fox .35!

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 10:32:09 PM »
I had (bought) one of those a "couple" of years back that had small operating wing flaps. Was that an option then, or had someone just gotten carried away. It flew great by the way with a screaming Fox .35!

Ward

The wing is identical to the Profile Flite Streak.  I don't *remember* anything onthe orignal instructions about flaps.........  None on Barry's plans
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »
No, no flap option...must be someone's mod.  It turns awfully well without 'em.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 02:55:16 AM »
No, no flap option...must be someone's mod.  It turns awfully well without 'em.

--Ray

Jerry,

Ray is right. For CL you don't need the flaps to move, it turns great, just like a Flight Streak. :-)

I still have one that I built in the 1970s. I was flying mostly R/C then, but a little CL too. Some of the guys in our R/C club built some Super Combat Streaks as R/C planes for pylon racing. We used .25s. They were very fast (without the lines to drag around ;-), and they made a great sport plane with a very high roll rate. We just used the flaps as ailerons and had a ball with them!

I just put an R/C system in my CL SCS and it worked out fine. I enjoyed flying it in a pylon race, then taking out the Battery. and Rec. (leaving in the 3 servos) and flying it CL on the same day. :-) ..... I still have it hanging in my shop, ready to fly!

FWIW: Unless you are going to put 3 servos behind the CG for balance, you may want to locate the fuel tank at least partly into the front of the wing, with the Eng. as far back as you can get it. If not, you will likely come out nose heavy with a .25 or larger. Built per plans, they came out nose heavy for CL combat. They worked well with a balder tank in the wing, or the metal tank partly in the wing.

Have fun with yours, and please keep us posted with your results.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »
I know this should probably be in the classifieds, but if anybody is interested I have an
original Combat Streak in the box someone could have for $50.00 + shipping if interested. Give a call at (916) 257-726 if interested or send me an e-mail.

Bruce

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
I have a complete Super Combat Streak kit that I am currently using as a guide to build a scratch built SCS.  My plans don't show wing flaps.  If this flys like the Flite Streak profile plane it doesn't need flaps.  I photo copied the part sheets and I am cutting out parts from the copies.  I had to make a jig to glue the formed LE at the 60 deg. angle.  (see pic)  The wing is pretty well on it's way.  I guess it may not be a bad idea to copy the plans and parts sheets and make them available in the classifieds section.  I don't know how much interest there would be in this plane though.  So far it's been a fairly easy project.  I wanted to build the plane but just didn't have the heart to build such a nice old kit.  Besides that, if I really like the SCS I can build another...and then another....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:52:35 AM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here