News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat field material  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Bill Mandakis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Combat field material
« on: July 03, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
I recently found out that there are several kinds of artificial turf. The city wants to put down art. turf on our combat circle. It is a city park; so, we will not have a lot to say about it. But, we can try.
I hear from combat persons that there should be NO art. turf used because it damages the plane. Since I am the communication "connection" to the city for my club, I would like to know if this is true. If it is, can the art. turf being used by professional sports be a particular turf that would not damage and burn players. Then I might be able to recommend a particular art. turf to the city. Also, if we used art. turf would it last long; would there be special maintenance, etc. with which we flyers are not familiar.

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Combat field material
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
Make sure the material is flame proof . You may well be one backfire away from burning down the circle. A bunch of fuel soaked artificial turf would go up real good . Real grass might be more maintenance but for combat my guess that it would be much safer.

Brad

Offline Bill Mandakis

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
I agree with the fireproofing of the grass. However, I have reviewed the different types of art. turf and it is used everywhere. It is used for playgrounds and professional sports fields. Apparently there is no particular danger from health such as cuts, burns (from sliding on the turf), and abrasions. What is it that combat people have against the turf? I understand that it damages the bottoms of the planes. Is that so? The city wants to put in some art. turf for our grass combat circle. The circle is greatly damaged and they are going to resurface it. Should I try to stop them and ask for grass?

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »
We just hosted a Speed Limit / F2D Combat last weekend. Most of the field was still damp , models looked like lawn darts stuck in the mud. Carpet won’t “heal” like natural grass . The number of divots would amaze anyone who doesn’t do field repairs.

What’s the  life expectancy of turf in a serious combat environment ? In combat crashes happen ,a little top soil and grass seed look like a great deal .

Brad

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
I don't know where Bill lives, but he's doing really well to have a city-provided flying circle.  These are very very rare.

Rouge Park in Detroit is city-owned, but maintained by the flyers.  We have natural turf and grass.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:58:43 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
I’m thinking artificial turf is a show stopper for Combat.
Glow fuel WILL get spilled on it, and glow engines will occasionally catch fire with those nearly invisible alcohol flames. If the turf is not fire retardant, there would be an incident worthy of losing flying privileges.
If it is fire retardant there would likely only be a burned patch, which, unlike real grass, won’t grow back. Can you patch that stuff?
As for impact, I suspect it is softer than asphalt, but harder than sod.
I would try to convince the town fathers that natural, living grass is the better choice. Your club might have to consider forming a mowing committee if the towns end goal is a reduction of groundskeeping costs.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
You might see if they are familiar with the various growth retarders used on turf.  Since you're probably never going to go for 1 in. grass, a retarder could cut mowings in half or less.  Don't know what your club dues are, but offering to do the mowing or pay for part of the cost might work.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here