News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Cats  (Read 2297 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Combat Cats
« on: October 22, 2006, 05:10:51 PM »
I finally put together enought parts for at least four Cats.  Also a couple of VooDoo's. Have several Johnson CS and one Veco CS.  I will make one Cat for hard tank for a Johnson and one for Veco.  The others will get a bladder and use modern .25BB/.28BB engines. Even have three yards of silk, but am going to use polyspan. One last item will be a Super Watzit with a K&B Grennie. Why?? Why not as they are still neat even after 40+ years. Now just need a reliable flying buddie at Tucson. This is for sport not mayhem.
Dan

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Combat Cats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:03:13 AM »
The Combat Cat is a good design for its era with more than the usual amount of wing area.  Even the boom length isn't bad, with a light engine.  Like most planes back then it needs longer booms for the heavier engines.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »
The old birds are something to get out and have fun with.  Now as far as a flying buddy, have you been to Christofer Columbus Park to fly with the Cholla Choppers.   I know Lou Wolgast, Robin Sizemore, Randy Cuberly and quite a few others are in the Tuscon area.  I would be there if the wife would let me.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:28:33 PM »
Combat Cats had a structural design flaw easy to fix...the raised motor mount required the lower engine bearing to notch into the LE, creating a weak spot...always cracked within 3-4 flights if not well braced.  Easy fix: center the motor mount vertically, like all reasonable combat planes do, and leave the LE intact.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I have a double kit waiting to be built one day.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:35:35 PM »
It's a real joy to fly, with that big wing (for its time--390 squares, IIRC?) and thick airfoil.  You'll enjoy it.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:43:25 AM »
Doc,
I know all the guys from Cholla Choppers and they all are great guys. They are 99.999999% stunt.  Yes they will help but that takes away from their stunt time. Sundays are mighty busy at the field. Dan

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »
Dan,

You're gonna be on the grass circles, no? Should be a bit lighter traffic, there.  Luck! Wish I lived closer (except in Summertime - Sierra Vista stays about 10° cooler that Tucson, year round.)

Combat Cats! YESS! I used them as a handy way to knock out medium sized stunters for several years. It is the Flite Streak wing, and a kit of two to a box is   was   just plain  nice.
\BEST\LOU

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 09:13:30 AM »
no it is not a flight streak wing---same construction--diffrent airfoil.

i have a combat cat double kit---has 1 l.e. and 3 t.e.! so i could only build one
anyone wana trade a l.e. for a t.e.?

the airplane furthest from camera is a modifid cat for tsting radial engine mount

David
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here