News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Washed out in PA  (Read 742 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Washed out in PA
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »
I got back from the Labor Day trip in the evening on 9/7.  It was raining and water was already up above the record high water mark.  Woke up at 3 am, it was coming up on the lawn.  Ran around like crazy moving stuff upstairs, hoisted the laser cutter to the ceiling, and generally had a ball.  By mid-day Thursday the water was 3 ft.. deep in the basement. It peaked Thursday night at about 28.6 ft., compared to the last peak of 16.1ft.  We're a little further down stream and seem to have picked up another foot.  46 in. up the basement wall.

It will be at least two weeks before I can for sure send out any cores or laser cut parts.  It'll take another week just to get all the mess cleaned up and see what equipment is working!

In the mean time, I'll get ready for the jaunt down to Huntersville.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Washed out in PA
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Rebuild and put that laser cutter on the second floor?

It is wise of you to make it so that you can hoist it to the ceiling.

I'm so paranoid about flooding that I always try to live someplace that's very well drained -- but if The Big One ever shakes Oregon, I think my house is going to be about 100 yards down hill from where it is now.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
                  Phil, I'm very sorry to hear this. Last month attending your contest was the start of the heavy rains and it was obvious that your area was taking on more rain than it could handle. I started out my weekend moving everything to higher ground myself. I hope all your equipment and supplies are in good condition. Ken

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
The first house the Wife and I bought was the safest from flooding.  The Basement floor was higher than the roof peaks of the houses two blocks away on the opposite bank of the river.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
The first house the Wife and I bought was the safest from flooding.  The Basement floor was higher than the roof peaks of the houses two blocks away on the opposite bank of the river.
Clancy

Clancy,

It always pays to live high up on the hill. Guess I got lucky on that one.
Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here