News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big Iron and VooDoo??  (Read 15152 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Big Iron and VooDoo??
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

What year did the Big Iron and Voo Doo get introduced?  Would like to build each and know what year they are from.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: Big Iron and VooDoo??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »
According to the Voodoo construction article in Model Airplane News, July, 1961. The article's lead-in line claimed:

"National's Combat winner in '59 is only part of the winning record of this model. Design so well thought out that Carl Goldberg, how has never kitted any independent model design, will be offering a kit for the model very shortly."

However, in the article itself, Riley says "An earlier version was used in winning first place in open combat at the 1959 Nationals, however it was creamed in the quarter finals and I had to finish with another design."

Perhaps Riley will step in and state once for all, but otherwise it reads as if it MAY have been in existence in '59, but was for sure by July, 1961.

As for the Big Iron. Can't help you there with a "released" or article date, but I know that Carl Berryman won Open with it at the '63 Nats at Los Alimitos, CA.  So, the Big Iron was up and going at least by 1963.

Gonna' build 'em, eh?  That's the spirit!

(Sigh.) I need to build another Voodoo, and I also want to build a "Big Iron" eventually.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »
I saw the Big Iron in Wichita in 1961.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
Thanks, Gentlemen!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
I believe Wooten & Berryman used the Voodoo and Big Iron in the Nats in 1961 or 1962.  The Goldberg single Voodoo hit the market around that time.  The Double Voodoo was a quick response to the Top Flite double Combat Cat at $4.95.

The Big Iron was a bigger and better plane than the Voodoo, but also more work to build.  I assembled a Veco Big Iron kit and was not happy with the quality.  The ribs were out of whack.  Future copies with the ribs stack-sanded came out well.

Paul Smith

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
OK, since you asked I will try to supply some very old (over 50 yrs.) history..............

First met Carl at Lubbock contest in fall of 1956. He had just started flying combat using Half Fast.  He wanted plans for Quicker, none existed, would not take no so he followed me home and I sketched him enough plans to build by. Wives got along great and we became great friends. All of 57 we attended every contest together, even though he lived in Amarillo. He improved by leaps and bounds. We flew for first in 8 contest in a row. We also flew stunt, me with my Texan and Carl with his Thunderbird.....
We went to 58 Chicago Nats flying Johnson powered Quickers on pen bladder system. Although we had bad luck (I lost in semifinals and did not fly for 3rd) I think I can say we had the hottest set up there, by far.. Long story, but it did result in rules change.
Late 58, thinking I needed to go to side mount engine for strength and streamlining I built what I called a Custom Quicker, same wing and moments with stab and elevator mounted on booms instead of hardwood engine mounts. Only one was built and it met its demise wind flying in above 50 mph Lubbock wind.  Weight was installed in place of engine, prop and James Mears hand launched..  I must say I think it was the fastest combat plane I have ever flown (looked 3 ft. long) and it exploded on about the 3rd flight, broke both lines and remains landed in a back yard outside the park....THIS IS NOT A TALL TALE...................
Just after that Carl said get rid of the stab and use stabilator.. It will be easier to build.... This was probably early 1959.  I don't remember what wing he had his stabilator mounted on but mine was on the Quicker 9" cord, wing which I called the Sniper and later became the Voodoo.  SO, they both began life in 59 to the best of my knowledge.............   I built a lot of different versions, 12%, 15% and 18% airfoils with different tails in that time and with some surprising results..
rw

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
Cool history.  I like this stuff.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
Cool history.  I like this stuff.
   Me too , even though I don't fly the event. I have timed at several local combat contests at Buder Park. This leads me to ask the question: When was the first combat contest that was like we know it today? I haven't done any searching, but with all the magazine reading I've done in the last 30 years, I don't think I've ever seen it covered. I lusted after the airplanes as a kid, just to fly them. Flew all the half A stuff as a kid because they were cheap and tuff. Use to combat my little brother with toilet paper streamers whenever we had someone else to launch the second airplane. Just never had the extra time or deep enough bank account to take it even semi seriously. Hope to build some of the kits I have just to sport fly. even with tame engines by old standards, they will impress most people that have never seen it, and be fun to fly over long grass.
 Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
I've got a couple Voodoos, a Nemesis, a Half Fast, etc.  The nice thing about a Voodoo with a 36X is that I can take them out when the wind is really blowing (most of the time), and still get my flights in.  100mph+ with a screaming Fox vibrating down the lines is a rush.  The planes build quickly and cheaply, and each has it's own unique history, construction, and techniques.  My only regret is that I can't build them all as fast as I can collect the engines I want to use on them.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
Thanks Riley for the info and one terrific combat plane.   I had moved back to KC area in fall of 62.   Charley's Hobby Shop sold me my first Fox Combat Special and the double VooDoo kit.   Like a dummy I drilled a hole thru the leading edge for the fuel tank.   Big mistake.   The second one I modified the Veco tank to your specs on the plans.   I think I tried every new combat kit Charley would get in.  The Big Iron was my favorite with a custom built Johnson Combat Special.   Managed to make second round in the 64 NATS at Grand Prairie Navy base.  Yes you were my opponent in the second round.   You have been one of my heroes from day one when I would read about you.   In one of the later years of Carl flying I got to fly against him.   Both of you guys were great gentlemen.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Paul,  the nats you mentioned were Chicago, 1962.  We didn't go to Nats in 61..  Also, what most do not know is that the kit Voodoo was changed in a few ways from the "Sniper" from which it came (Goldberg did not like the name) and he also wanted it detuned slightly so the average sport flyer could handle it........ In the process it also lost about 20 sq. inches. Even though I didn't like it at the time he was probably right..  He told me everyone said a combat kit would never sell in enough quantity to be successful.. How wrong they were - the Voodoo sold over 50,000 kits per year for several years............. For every one that actually flew a combat match there were probably 1000's that just bored holes in the sky!!!   SIDE NOTE:  The  1955 Quicker origional plan form of 9" cord, 36" span, tip rib to tip rib, plus tips was used by most of the popular designs of the time, including the original Sniper (Voodoo). Big Iron and I believe the Nemisis.......... These were the early days of combat and a lot of fun with a lot going on.  Guys in Lubbock said I built a new plane or version every week (and this was before CA and plastic covering). Most were silk covered..

Doc, thanks for the kind words !!

PS: As I remember the 58 Nats had 158 entered in open combat, 62 close to same..........what a blast!
rw

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
Built my first Voodoo in 1966. Many thereafter ; standard and  several modified with long tail booms. All flew great and IMO, the sturdiest and most simple combat ship to build, ever.
So sturdy that several N.E. flyers; in particular Bill "Butcher" Staubach (dubbed  by Scarinzi  as the" awesome Butcher "- and he was), covered them with nylon/dope and when they hit, they bounced and  we got 'em right up again.

Love the Voodoo decal and box art. Still get flashbacks to this day when I see either one.

Riley : got several Polaroids of you flying at Olathe, Kansas in 68. We dam near died from the heat at that NATS. The barracks were near 90 degrees at bed time. The NAVY food, as always , was plentiful ,tasty and very inexpensive. And the night time  hangar talk was a blast.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:17:23 PM by Frank Imbriaco »

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
Riley:

I had a magazine back when I was a youth that had some Nats coverage. As Open winner, you were pictured holding your plane and shaking hands with 2nd place Al Baker, who was holding his plane as well. You were flying a 36X BB Vampire, and Al was flying an ST powered "Egad 2".  Was that at the Olathe Nats in '68?  (Trying to piece together some chronology to my C/L memories.)  Thanks for any input.

Frank:

Anyway you can scan those Polaroid's and share them with us vintage combat junkies?

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
Andre:
You are taxing my memory now, but 68 is probably right.  Only other time would be 66 Chicago.....  68 was the last year I flew at Nats.
rw

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Thanks for answering, Riley. 

'Ya know... we ought to have a separate forum here called "Riley's Corner" or sumpthin', where we can pick your brain and your C/L experiences/recollections can be preserved so our history can be recorded.

I know I have a bunch of questions!  Like, what's the real story behind the prototype Sneaker?  The Demon?  What was your most memorable match, on and on!

Thanks again for being a part of this forum.

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »
The Competitor Hobby's Sneaker was a great plane.  I believe that was product of Riley's shop in Lubbock.  One local modification was to buy longer wood and stretch the wingspan, which worked well.

The Demon was an undersize speed plane.  I built one with which I won a match and then lost, then loaned it out.  It made it to final in a big contest where it was destroyed in the final match.  The bigger planes with fat airfoils had taken over,
Paul Smith

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Paul:
As mentioned before the original Sneekers (not kits) had 36" spars, plus tips.. Ribs spread and two false ribs between each rib. Using anything more than a sport engine I would suggest spar webbing on at least first rib bays.  Also, if using plastic covering it is best to cover leading edge back to spars with light silkspan to help hold true airfoil.....We also had another version with constant cord same as center cord but I liked tapered wing better....

The kit Sneeker was modified to 30" spars to fit into cheaper box and to hold kit cost down to fit a desired price (a common practice with kit mfg.)

The Demon kit was designed to be a simple, easy to build, very stable, plane for the beginner combat pilot. As such it did very well and some guys who flew that style won with it.  I should have used the center rib airfoil all the way instead of the diamond............ I did see several copies done that way.
rw

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
I like these threads a lot.

I transitioned from Cox RTF .049 to balsa .35s in the late 60s. Loved the combat planes as they were a lot easier and faster to build (for me) than the Nobler and Ringmaster. After my first VooDoo that, I spent hours on the finish and then promptly re-kitted with a simple flight error; I learned not to fall in love with a combat wing. My buddies and I built them in threes so we could play all weekend. Eventually I settled on the Dick Mathis Mongoose and tried all sorts of modifications to them, eventually finding a way to make foam wings fast and strong enough for my punishing flight style

Many folks who post, or are remembered here, along with the planes and variations were the heroes of my mid teens. I read and re-read every magazine that had articles about combat in those days.

Really is a treat for me to read Riley Wooton's stuff, thank you sir!

Like quite a few here, I have returned to my C/L roots and slowly building many of the combat planes of yeaster year
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
Thank you, Riley, for all the information.  It is great to hear about the old days and how things came about.

Thanks, again!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »

Frank:

Anyway you can scan those Polaroid's and share them with us vintage combat junkies?

Andre:
Our  old snapshots are in  so many boxes. I will look for them and with any luck ; they'll be posted.

Thanks,
Frank

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
Hey Frank,
While you're search'n through old pics, see if you have any from the 69' Nats!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
Frank:

Thank you so much for even considering it.

I think we would all be very grateful for any efforts you put forth to scan/share your photographic memories with us.

BTW: Very much looking forward to meeting you at this year's GSCB's Combat Nostalgia Fun Fly.  I "think" we may have met briefly at the '72 Nats... but I'm not at all for sure???  If so, it would have been a passing thing like "hey... you're Frank Imbriaco. I read your, and co-author Dan Domino's, "Scrambler" article in MAN!  I'm Andre Ming of Fox Mfg".  And that would have been it!  Seems I do recall seeing a some Scramblers there??

This is a great thread!!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
Hi Andre,

Can you give me some of the thinking behind the "needle bearing" Fox .36X?  I really liked the one I had back in the mid '60s!  Built a "slow" combat profile Zero (Nick Ziroli I think) and took off from a speed dolly sometimes! LOL!!  It would turn right at 100mph on Missile Mist and an 8-7, IIRC.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
I can give you some insight.......The needle bearing cost Fox fifteen cents as opposed to $ for bb..........rw

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »
Ah, yes, the needle bearing 36X.  I would love to be able to spout facts and stats as to why this, or that, friction coefficients between needle bearings vs. ball bearings... but...

Riley hit the nail on the head: More cost effective.

Some personal findings from my time at Fox as well as tinkering with Duke's big parts piles: I've never truly found differences between the two in the realm of performance.  A good running 36X NB will run right along with a good running 36X BB.

There WERE some trade-offs in the realm of assembling the NB vs the BB.  The NB required careful machining to insure concentricity between the bearing seat and the crank C/L.  Also, in the rare event a NB should actually fail (seize), it was tough to extract it from the case and typically required a purpose-built tool for doing so.  Upside: IF you had a failure with an NB, the bearings were captive and didn't damage the crankcase or crank. IF you had a catastrophic failure (the race breaks) of a BB, it typically trashed the engine because of the fractured race pieces flying about as well as the balls.

"Back when" I preferred the BB for psychological reasons, but now I had just as soon have a good running NB.  Reason?  See the above, and add to it: The NB cranks were ground .500" O.D., same as all the sleeve bearing 36 series engines.  Because the BB had inside diameter of .500", the cranks for those were ground .498" to give a couple thousandth's clearance.  Therefore, any .500" crank will fit my NB's, but very few (those ground slightly undersized) will fit in a BB, and typically it's a firm press fit.

SO... gimme' a good running 36X NB for the front of my vintage combat planes and I'm a happy camper.

* EDIT: With one exception. Forgot about the early-mid 70s 36 C/L Sport engine. Though ground to .500" O.D., the crank was shorter, thus won't fit a 36X NB.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:43:44 PM by Andre Ming »

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
* EDIT: With one exception. Forgot about the early-mid 70s 36 C/L Sport engine. Though ground to .500" O.D., the crank was shorter, thus won't fit a 36X NB.

What about the 36 Sport RC?  Doesn't it have a longer crankshaft and case to clear the carb?

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »
Hey Frank,
While you're search'n through old pics, see if you have any from the 69' Nats!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes

Wes:
Somewhere are the photos of the  69 Junior and Senior NATS winners' trip to Pensacola NAS.  Things like that trip hosted by the Navy just aren't offered to youth today and that's a dam shame. I feel fortunate to have been a part of that . Only downer of the trip was the USS Lexington  aircraft carrier wasn't available for us to fly on. But they did give us a  ride on a PT boat !

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »
Andrew:

Yes, both the 36 RC and 36X RC* cranks are a slip fit for a 36X NB.  The only short crank that I remember was the crank for the aforementioned short case 36 C/L Sport engine.

* The 36X RC was a short-lived RC engine Duke whipped up in 1970.  It was based on a modified 36X case. (More material was added to the base of the venturi to allow for the circular carb to be inserted.) It had a three-jet carb that was a HUGE pain in the arse to mfg, adjust, and hold tolerance on. BUT, when it all came together, it was smooth as butter on a slow rev up, and instant with nary a hesitation from idle to wide-open.  He had us EPOXY the carbs in place!  That too, was an oft failure point once the series was "out on the field".  I only remember one run of those.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I saw the Big Iron in Wichita in 1961.
I talked to Carl Berryman several years ago while visiting Marvin Denny(Marvin's favorite plane)  Carl thought the biggest innovation in the Big Iron was assembling the motor mount separately and fitting it to the wing, along with glassing the centersection around the mount first.  Also the big, horizontal 1/8 sheet leading edge.  Those things made the plane "as tough as iron" comparatively.

Also the wing thickness varied a lot.  The Veco kit was an early version and the thickness was made as thin as possible to to fit a Veco tank, so it required the flat plywood brace across the tank area.  Other versions were sized thicker to the tank could slide between the spars and use pen bladders, making building and repairs easier.  And apparently the chord varied from 9-9.5-10 inches, depending.

All of his were built with 36 in. wood though.  He said it wasn't uncommon to hit the ground with no damage to the wing structure, often  putting the plane right back up.
phil Cartier

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »
Andre, You got my memory juices going about the .36xrc motor. I have a plain bearing version that I flew in Profile Carrier competition for several years. Yes, the carb was/is a real PIA. High speed needle on the exhaust side for example. I ran it on LS  Black Power and White Lightning fuels and gathered quite a few trophy's with it on several planes. I flew it a couple of years ago. It went like hell but I didn't have the patience or the right fuel to set the idle properly.  TS

PS  I guess I was lucky. The carb never came off!

PPS    I'm glad to see all of the chatter about vintage combat ships. The 'Festival" is coming up in September.

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
Hi 'ya C.T.!

Ah yes, the infamous three-jet 36XRC carb.  I have so many memories of them... and all of them bad.  LL~

When the epoxy failed, typically, the carb went into the spinning prop.  That created even more "action and drama" for the hapless hobby enthusiast that was flying the engine!  We at Fox believed in delivering excitement as part of the package.   %^@

Speaking of the LS Black Power and White Lightning fuels: Larry told me when he first devised the fuel mix that eventually became "White Lightning", he added yellow dye and labeled it "Panther P*ss".  It didn't sell. Couldn't give it away. So, he left it clear and re-labeled it "White Lightning" and it sold, and sold briskly.  True story!!  God he's a mess. (In a good way!)

I too, am VERY GLAD to see all this vintage combat airplane chatter.  Vintage combat planes have been my primary C/L "thing" now for something like 20+ years.

I need to contact Larry about a good motel so we can reserve us a room in the GSCB flying field region. Do you have suggestions?  Also, will there be some good Ma n' Pa type diners where I can introduce the wife to some GREAT NJ food like I've eaten as a young man when trucking in that region?  (Like a good hot pastrami n' swiss on rye.)

Really looking forward to the GSCB/UMAC Combat Nostalgia Fun Fly.  Oh, did I mention the date for that is September 20th???  H^^

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Ha!  two of my favorite NJ type delights are the 'Italian Hot Dog' and 'Cheese Steak Sandwich'.  When my sister came to visit from California I made sure that she was exposed to both of these special treats! When she visited 2 years later she said that she didn't need to have them again! Go figure?

Last year no one claimed the special LS award for the fastest Fox baffle piston powered combat plane. Maybe there will be some effort there this year!

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Hi Again C.T.!

The "Italian Hot Dog" sounds mighty interesting.  Wife and I will have to try one of those!

As for the fastest Fox baffle engine...

I know who WON'T win: Me.

I only run 10% nitro in my sport 36X engines now (castor oil only).  Figured since parts are getting harder to come by, I want mine to last as long as I can make 'em last, so no more 40%-50% nitro madness in mine.

And back to the original topic:  I do hope a Big Iron will show up at the CNFF this Sept.  I've never seen one fly.

Have a feeling there will be Voodoo's to be seen.

Small quirk of mine: I only power my vintage combat planes with engines appropriate to the airplane/era. Thus, I will never have a Fox MK 6 or something powering a Big Iron.  However, I do fudge a bit on the covering (iron on) and I use APC props on account of they're readily available and the X engines seem to like them.  Perhaps "one of these days", I do a silk and dope airplane.  Wow... it's been DECADES since I've used silk and dope!!!  My vintage combat plane "objectives" are twofold:

* To fly vintage combat airplanes that perform very close to the way they did "back then" for my own enjoyment.  Simply put: I dig flying these old vintage combat planes and engines!

* To fly vintage combat airplanes that perform very close to the way they did "back then" as a way of preserving our history for those that didn't live the era. When they see one of my vintage combat airplanes flying, they truly are seeing a piece of flying history in regards to how that particular airplane and engine of the day performed.  That's important to me.

To achieve the above, covering and props are very minor compromises toward that goal. Modern engines not so.

It's all good, though!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
Hi Andre,

I do have a VooDoo with out an engine on it.  Hasn't been flown in YEARS! LOL!!  Silkspan and just enough dope to fuel proof it.  I will have to dig out the tank and give it a cleaning plus remove the silkspan to inspect everything well.  Especially the BC mount!  Could have it flying in a week with no problems.  Have a Johnson CS for it, that should be pretty period correct.  Got rid of my two .36X NB and should have kept them!!!!!!  This summer is going to be fun.  Sparkers for stunt and vintage combat planes.  I'm like you, I build everything as it was done during the time period using vintage parts. (except propellers :) )

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
Hi Big Bear! (aka Bill!)

A Voodoo with a good Johnson CS on the front on pressure will HAUL THE MAIL nicely!  (And right you are: VERY "period correct"!)  Charlie Johnson had a Johnson CS powered Voodoo that he flew at the late Doc Passen's "Old Time Combat Meet" back in the early 90s.  It was soooo cool seeing and hearing it fly. Lot's of neat stuff showed up at that meet. Good memories.

Shame on you for dumping your X engines!  mw~

I am partial to the X engines because that's what I had as a lad, and (of course) I worked there and worked with the X engines quite a bit.  IF I wasn't so stung by getting spanked (as a mfg'er) by the brand that ruled combat in the late 60s/early 70s, I wouldn't mind having a couple of good examples of them, either. However, I just can't seem to bring myself to fly a S... Su... (can't hardly say it)... Supertigre.  However, credit where credit is due: The ST G21/35 was an EXCELLENT engine and a formidable competitor to Fox.

As for trying to maintain "period correct"... 'ya got me beat because your Voodoo is silkspan and dope covered!!  Like I said... it's literally been DECADES since I've used silk and dope or silkspan and dope for covering!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
Wes:
Somewhere are the photos of the  69 Junior and Senior NATS winners' trip to Pensacola NAS.  Things like that trip hosted by the Navy just aren't offered to youth today and that's a dam shame. I feel fortunate to have been a part of that . Only downer of the trip was the USS Lexington  aircraft carrier wasn't available for us to fly on. But they did give us a  ride on a PT boat !

Wow, I was part of that trip to Pensacola. As I recall you qualified by how many people you beat. I won first in 1/2a proto, 1st in 1/2a reed shuttle race and 1st in hand launch glider but, the most entries were in delta dart. I did good enough with the delta dart to be an alternate then someone dropped out so I got to go.

I never flew a VooDoo but I had several Sneakers with SuperTigers on super sonic 1000 exciting to fly. I still have one, love those planes.

MM

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
How did a thread about the awesome combat planes of our youth turn into a food travel show??  A couple of more thoughts, N.J. wise. You must get a Taylor ham-egg&cheese sandwich on a hard roll and don't forget the pizza and bagels!   Cheers, TS

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
Hey C.T! 

Guess what the wife, grand daughter, and I, had for supper tonight? 

Italian Hot Dogs! 

Got on the internet and found some pics/recipes and they looked and sounded uuuuummmm good... so we bought the stuff we needed and fixed our own tonight to give 'em a try.  In a word: FANTABULOUS!  Wife loved 'em, grand daughter loved 'em... and yours truly made a pig of himself. Looking forward to eating the real deal when were' up in NJ this coming September.

AND now for some ON TOPIC content...

YUP... those were awesome combat planes from our youth!

Below is a pic of my last Voodoo.  I need to build another.

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
I remember Riley had a side mount engine on his Quickers at the 1959 nats. When I got home I started building my Quickers with the side mounted engine too. Riley you were indeed a head of your time. You had a great influence on us. All which was good.

Gordy

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »

back in my SR days i bought a couple of Whatzit kits from  Orange Blossom Hobby Shop , they had the up rite engines which i didn't like, later that week went back to pick up the latest flying magazine and there it was, the Super Whatzit with side mount engine , i was hot stuff at the field
rad racer

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
all set for Combat Graffiti next year. Instead of a full on contest, we are going to use the picnic format like y'all
main reasons are
 1. too much work for some.
2. lookie-loo's ate the free lunch for the contestants
3. Barrie still has the silver champagne bucket!

Ken

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2015, 06:38:11 AM »
Cant say "WOW" but could that be the extremely rare and elusive 'Blue Head Fox' on the front?  Looks great!  TS

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »
Hey Ken

Dates and location please, I am starting to line out my calendar for next year

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
Thanks guys. Yes (ahem) rare blue head fox......good for speed and stunt.....this one is just....Half-Fast....... LL~

Combat Graffiti will be held in Vancouver B.C. at a little field known as Rice Mill Road. I'm pretty sure it's shown in Flyinglines.
Likely to be on Labor Day. Buddy Holly will be there again too.

K

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »
Combat Graffiti in Vancouver B.C not listed on Flying lines that I can find. 2016 calendar is only through Feb right now

Dang, labor day...OK kool, now I gotta decide to fly for Bladder grabber of dust off passport for Graffiti in Canada...decision decisions

Probably too much to hope Ming, Londke, Mears, Wooten, Stubbifield, Rush;  and a whole bunch of east coast  Scarinzi, and Cook as well as southern states, Welch, types,  plus all Pacific North west combat nut cases----- attend----  oh well a guy could/can dream

I wonder if the guy I sold my '57 Nomad to is still in Puyalup, has the car, and would drive me across the border to attend in style.... hummm

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Drove to Salmon Arm B.C. today to go flying with Greg Davis. He brought two beautiful ships. A combat Streak (scratch built) and his WOW! as seen in Combat G videos. Flew some F2D and the Half Fast. Fun day. If all y'all show up I'll make lunch on labor Day....but you gotta bring Riley.

K

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here