News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Betting in Combat  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Ken Burdick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Betting in Combat
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »
Well.....yes folks it's true, there IS betting in Combat.

Untold fortunes have been won and lost in this steamy underbelly of our sport, here is yet the latest shameful example of what's happened to our once innocent model activity.

it began at one, but after the bet was taken, the ante put forth, kennyb raised it one. That raise was seen and upped to four more. The call was made and as it stands, there are four cans of Dinty Moore beef stew at stake here. The bet?

That I cannot get my as of yet un-run Tee-Dee .15 to pull a Jr. Satan at 75 mph towing .018 x 60 ft lines. The instigator is none other than that scoundrel Barrie Hobkirk, aka Barr, Barr-none, Barr-ley there and so on.

My "second" for this will be Kelley Crozier, and Barr's will be "The Big Cheese" or as some know him, Greg Davis.

The day of reckoning will be July 9th at the Rice Mill Road flying site in Richmond B.C. and will kick off Combat Graffiti. This highly frowned upon activity will be open to the public so be the first on your block to attend Combat graffiti 201

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Betting in Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:36:35 AM »
.18 at 60 foot just cuz that is what you have?... I would prefer .12s or spectra, a drag and weight thing..not recommended for actual combat and cut away potential

UN run TeeDee 15? for shame, they are real fun engines and deserve to be slimed up real good with 40%N and a lot of bakers AA...got any wood rev up 8x8xs cut back to 7 inch yet?

I think the Jr Satan (if built like your other masterpieces) should be plenty light and nimble enough to get near 90MPH with a well done TeeDee 15 ---so I would not make that bet cuz I like my Dinty Moore beef stew, and will not share any

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »
Maca.....hmmm........Sacrifices must be made........  LL~

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
Of course there is wagering on Nats and Team Trials. 
Local contests might be a bit shaky. 
It would take a REALLY BIG bribe to get somebody to shave points in a major event.
Does one go to the Kentucky Derby and not place a bet?
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
Why bet.  The reward is whipping somebody's a$$ in a match.  Money is irrelevant.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »
No Phil, the betting isn't between the contestants, it's between the fans that travel far to get in on the action.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Mears

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »
Riley and my old man put up a substantial bet on me back when I was a jr. I flew Buckstaff for $100.00 I think they won that bet if I recall right.
Home of the control line combat museum.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
hey.....this is BIG STUFF man.......
not talking $100.00 here..... we're Whales ya know....4, count em 4 cans of Dinty Moore beef stew.
The Jr. Satan is getting close to completion. Dope is drying, Tee-Dee is td-ing

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
I won first F2D contest with one of those in 1970.  Powered by a Max II.  Under $20 worth of equipment.
Paul Smith

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
Riley and my old man put up a substantial bet on me back when I was a jr. I flew Buckstaff for $100.00 I think they won that bet if I recall right.

I remember the year ('79 I think) where someone was making $100 bets that Buckstaff could be anyone.  Riley was willing to take the bet (I recall it being big like $5000) if he could have 6 months to get back into combat shape.  I heard rumor that Buck said no way.

Then again, maybe that was all urban legend. 

Tom

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
I am reconsidering my trips this year and may well go to the graffiti mixer and BBQ in Canada

I bet my Widow Satan with OUT all the uniflo BS can fly longer than Ken's....grin

I still say if you can't get  TeeDee .15 over 75 MPH on a Jr Satan..... you are not too adept at Cox engines, fuel and prop selection....

Dinty Moore bet my arse... we need a few cans of Spam in the betting pool

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
I remember the year ('79 I think) where someone was making $100 bets that Buckstaff could be anyone.  Riley was willing to take the bet (I recall it being big like $5000) if he could have 6 months to get back into combat shape.  I heard rumor that Buck said no way.

Then again, maybe that was all urban legend. 

Tom

Tom,  It was Bill James promoting that and I did put up $5000 to fly best of seven matches at the next  years Nats... Buck did say no way and it was not a rumor!
RW

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 06:30:58 AM »
Tom,  It was Bill James promoting that and I did put up $5000 to fly best of seven matches at the next  years Nats... Buck did say no way and it was not a rumor!
RW

It is funny the things we remember after all the years of doing this.  Guess that is why the thread on the history in the '60s have a lot of people's attention.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here