Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Combat

A RETURN?

(1/2) > >>

Andre Ming:
Yup. You read correctly.

I'm contemplating reactivating within the hobby. However, I need to determine the feasibility of it before I waste time/money.

FIRST ISSUES to SOLVE:

Have any of you come up with a good system for solo starting as well as remote launching a combat wing that would allow me to solo fly?

There are ZERO C/L enthusiasts that I know of in my immediate region. (Eastern OK near Fort Smith, AR.) IF I fly again, 90% of it would be solo. The years of involving my wife in flight sessions are past and gone. (Not fair to her, plus she hated the exhaust goo, noise, etc.)

SO...

Have any of you successfully devised a combat wing launcher that lends itself to hand starting??

Andre Ming

john e. holliday:
I wish you were here as I have a launcher for combat wings that works for me.  I would have to look but I think I have pictures on here some where.  It has been over three years since I have been out flying.  Plan is using the launchers for my 1/2A's in the back yard.  If I get in the mood maybe I will get the camera charged and take pictures.   They won't let me out of the house for any length of time when temps get above 80F degrees. D>K

Andre Ming:
Hi Doc!

Glad yer still a' kickin'!

I would love to see pics, but please consider your health. It can wait.

Being self sufficient in starting/launching is the single biggest hurdle for me. IF I can conquer that, then returning to flying can be an "as in the mood" sort of thing without inconveniencing the wife (ain't happenin'), or having to wait until I can hook up with a (currently non-existent) flying bud.

I've lost touch with all the C/L'ers I was in the loop with.

BUT, even if there WAS a "flying bud", I would NOT want to be dependent on coordinating with same for a flying date/etc. I need to be able to be self sufficient within the hobby. THAT will go a long way toward insuring better longevity within the hobby on account that me having fun within it would NOT be dependent on others, as has always been the case.

Andre

944_Jim:
Mr. Andre,
A late member here and CoxEngineForum named RKNRusty flew solo. He had (has?) YouTube videos showing self-launches of popular planes from a carpet mat/brick on barstool stooge. I bet one of his videos could be found within 5 minutes of GoogleFoo.

Otherwise, you might consider building fly-off dollies or single wheel landing gear. String launching from the ground works too:
https://youtu.be/6EWECufkB6U?feature=shared
Drop-off landing gear (like on this plane above) doesn't detract from the flight in any way.

Edit: Found in 10 minutes:
 https://youtu.be/wXL2t4eKn-I?feature=shared

Andre Ming:
We have a winner!

Way to go Jim! Thanks!

THAT is a very do-able solution!

(Yes, I remember RKNRusty here at Stunthanger. He was a super nice guy.)

Okay, so I have a "start here" idea for solo flying of my combat wings and non-landing gear sport planes.

The immediate thought is that a plastic folding table with a .36 size sleeve on one end, and a 1/2A sleeve on the other would cover all my potential bases: Combat wings with .35/.36 size combat power, "Ringmaster-type" sport plane w/36 sleeve bearing power, and 1/2A combat wings/conventional planes.

NOW, I guess the next step is to make a decision. I don't have a sport airplane at this point, and I really don't think it would be wise to return to flying with a combat wing, in spite of having a restrictor in the venturi. Even with a restrictor, a 36X powered combat wing tootin' along at 90 MPH just might be a handful for a 71 year old that hasn't flown ANYTHING since about 2015-16.

BUT... the above idea means I CAN do this if I so choose.

Progress.

Andre

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version