News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2008 National Combat Champions...  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2008 National Combat Champions...
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
Thank you very much ---

Wayne McDaniel, Combat Events Director.
Brenda Schutte, Control Line Catagory Director.
AMA Hq staff for preparing the field and continuously supplying our needs.

New Champions:

F2d - Tim Soukup of Texas
Speed Limit - Tim Soukup of Texas
1/2A - Paul Smith of Michigan
Fast - Phil Cartier of Pennsylvania
Senior Award winner - Pat Gibson of Tennessee

Come join us in 2009.  They treat you good in Muncie.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:13:38 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
Re: 2008 National Combat Champions...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:59:18 PM »
Number of entrants? 

Not many, I'm betting. 

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
About 6-to-8 paid, of which 5-6 flew.   But they were the tough ones.  If it looks easy, take a whack in 09.
Paul Smith

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »
I was there on wednesday watching. I had a 1960's fast combat flyer with me. He thought all the matches we saw were very well flown. Only negative is the hot restarts, awfully hard to get one  back in the air. Too bad you can't use starters, especially with a small turnout. You can't win on airtime only.
That being said , I'm looking at it from a spectators view, not as a competitor. Kudos to the pilots who do their homework on hot restarts.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
If you were there on Wednesday, you saw 1/2A.  They DO allow starters in that event now, and most flyers use them.  If guys had a hard time getting back up, they had a problem that a starter won't solve.

I don't really agree with the rationalle of legalizing the starter in the case.  It seems that an extremely high performance Russian engine came on the market. It can blow away everything else, thereby making all others obsolete.  Only downside" very hard to hand-start.  I say "tough luck, it's just not a Combat engine" .  But the rules gods bent over and ammended the rules to fit ONE ENGINE. 

If you had attended on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday you would have seen a lot more HIGH-powered serious action.

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:34:09 AM »
 I don't post here but a correction is called for, Senior Award Winner, Pat Gibson is from Texas, not Tennessee.

"Billy G"   H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »
And by the way, in addition to flying combat, he also won stunt.

We had a few other stunt winners in the combat area, but to avoid conflict with their SIG, I won't name names.
Paul Smith

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
If you were there on Wednesday, you saw 1/2A.  They DO allow starters in that event now, and most flyers use them.  If guys had a hard time getting back up, they had a problem that a starter won't solve.

I don't really agree with the rationalle of legalizing the starter in the case.  It seems that an extremely high performance Russian engine came on the market. It can blow away everything else, thereby making all others obsolete.  Only downside" very hard to hand-start.  I say "tough luck, it's just not a Combat engine" .  But the rules gods bent over and ammended the rules to fit ONE ENGINE. 

If you had attended on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday you would have seen a lot more HIGH-powered serious action.

Are you certain about that story?  Wasn't the engine actually the Shuriken?  If so, that was quite a few years ago, the engine was made in the USA, and is no longer available. 

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:50 AM »
If you were there on Wednesday, you saw 1/2A.  They DO allow starters in that event now, and most flyer's use them.  If guys had a hard time getting back up, they had a problem that a starter won't solve.

Which "one Engine?" is it the Profi?  Or the Fora? Or the former VA? or the AME or the ??? I could go on.  Any engine with a 4" prop is hard to hand start.  If you want to keep running TD's and 35 foot lines, fine, but most combat flier have gone to higher performance engines, bigger airplanes and 42 foot lines.  (and starters)  Oh yes, Cox isn't making engines anymore.  1/2a combat will die soon due to lack of engines and people willing to fiddle with them.  Not because they allow starters.  I think 1/2 a will die before Fast does.

How can you say that with 7 or 8 constestans there is a lot of high performance action?  More like a few very good matches.  The nationals has a problem getting contestants.  The pre worlds world cup F2d contest drew 91 pilots......  So many that they could not complete the contest.  Many US combat pilots take a pass on the nationals and go to the F2d in Tx, Az and Fla, or the grabber, where there are 20+ pilots.  The last time I Flew at Sig there were more pilots than at the nationals.  If combat were on the weekend, I think the turnout would be better.  Mid week and 8 contestants, many take a pass.  Still I would like to go some year.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:41:44 AM by dave siegler »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
How many possible combat pilots were over at the L pad flying stunt? I know of two for sure.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
The very nice combat circles were open for bidness all day from Tuesday through Friday.  Once your basic (rather high) entry fee is paid, it only costs $10 to take a poke at combat (and speed, racing, and carrier for that matter).  We need the business and are will to bend fit your combat matches into the hectic (one flight a day) stunt schedule. 

In addition to the two noted combat flyers who retired to stunt, the combat results include some stunt flyers who were rehabilitated to combat.

Paul Smith

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »

How can you say that with 7 or 8 constestans there is a lot of high performance action?  More like a few very good matches.  The nationals has a problem getting contestants.  The pre worlds world cup F2d contest drew 91 pilots......  So many that they could not complete the contest.  Many US combat pilots take a pass on the nationals and go to the F2d in Tx, Az and Fla, or the grabber, where there are 20+ pilots.  The last time I Flew at Sig there were more pilots than at the nationals.  If combat were on the weekend, I think the turnout would be better.  Mid week and 8 contestants, many take a pass.  Still I would like to go some year.

Lets see how F2d does next year with a shutoff rule.  Lets be honest with ourselves, interest in the AMA Fast and Slow Combat Events has been all but destroyed by shutoff rules.  Where I once could compete in 12 contests a year flying fast and slow combat within hours of my home in Chicago now you won't find 12 Contests in the entire country.  Yes, I have used shutoffs and,  while it may sound like bragging, I made them work.  (Note that making them work is defined as not interfering with the successful completion of a match. Yes they were functional.)  They are a maintenance headache and most former competitors just don't need the hassle so they quit the event.  Now the event is gone. While it may be a stretch to say so, I now fly stunt.

I've been hoping that with F2d requiring shutoffs next year someone in Europe or Asia would come up with a clever economical shutoff that we could use in AMA.  So far nothing.

Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC   
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
I don't mean to take a poke at the nationals, but man, why so few entries?  And yes I would like to fly in muncie.  A tues, wed, thurs schedule is hard to take, I would end up blowing a whole week of vacation even though I am less than 6hr away.

F2d is still very popular, it may be even growing a little world wide.  I hope a good solution to shutoff's is found, some smart people are working on it, and they are talking and sharing.   
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 08:20:24 AM »
I don't mean to take a poke at the nationals, but man, why so few entries?  And yes I would like to fly in muncie.  A tues, wed, thurs schedule is hard to take, I would end up blowing a whole week of vacation even though I am less than 6hr away.

F2d is still very popular, it may be even growing a little world wide.  I hope a good solution to shutoff's is found, some smart people are working on it, and they are talking and sharing.   

The AMA Nats schedule:

You say COMBAT is too time-consuming with 4 days to fly 4 events?

Where does that leave STUNT, with 6 days to fly only 1 event?  But they still get the entries.

A National Championship is just that!  In Combat it takes a heap of equipment to make a serious effort at winning.  In STUNT you just fly your same one model with no more risk than a routine fun fly.  All that's lost is 6 days and a hefty entry fee.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 06:57:49 PM »
Hey Dave,  I've blown that week of vacation almost every year since about 1978.  I went to the NATS more than I missed.  It was always a lot of fun.  Took the family along most times so they got to see quite a bit of the country.  The kids still talk about it. This year was especially fun.  I hadn't flown a fast match in a couple of years.  After the first match I got my reflexes up to speed and it was a blast.  A bigger adrenaline rush by far than F2D.  Something about flying over the edge.

You can't fly if you don't show up.
phil Cartier

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
I am going to make a point of going next year.  I don't have any fast stuff, and won't buy a Neslon for one contest. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »
I am going to make a point of going next year.  I don't have any fast stuff, and won't buy a Neslon for one contest. 

A Fox Mark III, IV, VI, would be perfectly adequate.

Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
A Fox Mark III, IV, VI, would be perfectly adequate.

Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

I "got a shutoff to work" on a very healthy Fox Mark VI.  But it didn't prove to be "good enough" against modern Nelson planes.

However, my old TeeDee .049's were GOOD ENOUGH to git 'er done vs modern, expensive 1/2A's.
Paul Smith

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
I "got a shutoff to work" on a very healthy Fox Mark VI.  But it didn't prove to be "good enough" against modern Nelson planes.

However, my old TeeDee .049's were GOOD ENOUGH to git 'er done vs modern, expensive 1/2A's.

Who was flying those expensive 1/2A's?
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 05:09:08 PM »
Paul literally fell into first place in Half A.  Dan Reedy was all over him until Paul's plane fell out of the sky, tangling the lines.  A well-placed tug dumped Dan into the ground. breaking his plane.  Hardly an overpowering win.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here