News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:58:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a HP combat  (Read 844 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
1/2a HP combat
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
I would like to put together some foamies for 1/2a general screwing around.  I don't want a $200 0.49.  I would like to use a few Norvel big mig .061  The needle looks like it would not work with a bladder, even on suction it is coarse.  I have heard that some guys allow plane bearing 061's in 1/2 a high performance combat.  I was wondering what needle valve you would use to fit a Norvel or VA? 

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
Re: 1/2a HP combat
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
I tried a Norvel on a Yvenko, it was nuts tail heavy!! n~

I can agree with what you are describing.
AMA 77370

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
Dave, if you are just "screwing around" with the Norvel big mig you should be able to get a decent run with the needle provided on bladder pressure. "Even on suction it is coarse"? I fly them all the time with suction , no problem with the coarse needle. On a flying platter with a Big Mig and a balloon tank set fairly rich for launch i can get a pretty good 2 4 break and do some taildraggin.  I have two ame's and two big migs on combat planes with bladder pressure, they can be a litttle touchy, but quite useable! I find that if from time to time i blow out the spraybar with compressed air they will work fine. Might try different types of bladder material to get the right setup, some can create more pressure than others.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
       Dave, I have used with good success the needle spraybar assembly from the Cox production backplates. I've pressed the spraybar out of the plastic and soldered a piece of 3/32 tubing over the hole in the spraybar. Some of the older ones and a lot of the cars used these backplates. They had what I believe was the 125 thread per inch needles. I found a lot of these to be the red style backplates. Those needles are similar to the Kustom Kraftmanship needles used on the Tee Dee engines. I just file a little fish mouth on the tubing prior to soldering and be careful not to get solder in the hole. A little creativity is needed to attach to the plane but its effective and cheap. Dale Kirn used something like this on his 1/2 A speed planes that were running on bladder. I saw this idea used in 1980's Model Builder mag. I have even made a nylon insert that fits into the bathtub venturi hole of the Norvel case. Its drilled and tapped for a Tee Dee venturi which uses a fine threaded needle. The engine runs very well and starts with ease. Ken
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:05:05 PM by kenneth cook »

Advertise Here

Advertise Here