News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 0Vintage combat models  (Read 4547 times)

Offline dennis lipsett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
0Vintage combat models
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
I was talking to Walt Umland about some of the old combat models and in the course of events we got to the Top Flite Combat Kats. I had had a few of them in the 60's and I had modified them to have the engine on centerline and eliminate the weak l/E that they had. So the question came upabout the legality of this mod since one of the vintage combat models that he wants to kit is the CK. So would this modification if offered void the model for any vintage combat event. I replied that I certainly didn't invent that mod and I'm sure that it was done by others.
So I thought that I'd ask here and see if it would be allowed or banned if this event ever took off.
As Walt mentioned in another thread he is going to be doing the Misourian and a few other designs from the past simply in the hopes that it will not become simply a Voo Doo event. If that happened it would be a disaster the same as old time stunt and the jamison special. The older designs are really a blast to fly today and i'd really hate to see a one model event  evolve.

Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 0Vintage combat models
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
What are the years of vintage comba planes.   I had my Combat Cats in 61 and both were built box stock.   Flew great with the K&B .35 Series engines until the crankshafts would go their own direction.   That is when I got my first Fox Combat Special. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
I also lowered the MM in subsequent Combat Kats, after the first one cracked in the first flight.  Not sure what they were thinking by cutting 1/2way thru the LE to clear the bottom MM beam.  It became sort of a standard mod in my neck of the woods. It'd be a shame not to allow it. Really nice flying plane when it held together.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Vintage combat models
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »
I don't know who's making the rules or when the cutoff is.

As I recall, the Voodoo kit hit the market (at $2.95) in early 1962, having been flown by Riley Wooten a few years prior.
Top Flite shot back with the double Combat Cat at $4.95, which was matched by Goldberg very soon.
I went through a dozen Voodoos, then a dozen Combat Cats (all with the engine centered).  I hardly ever saw one with he stock elevated engine.

A double CC kit came to me in a sellout in the early 80's and I still had one in contests as late as 1986.  It was a good design.  Bigger & better than the Voodoo. 

Paul Smith

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
here is my clean decal

Tom

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
My brother built a pair of stock Cats, then built a half dozen or so modified with engine on center, bladders instead of tanks, and he clipped one rib bay off each wing.  He did not fly combat for very long, and I think the only airplane that survived was one of the originals - because he scarcely flew it!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

larry borden

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
I flew Voodoos, Demons and Sneekers. Sneekers were 2.95 and easy to build. Got a Walt Umland kit to build with G21/35 and pacifier.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
Larry, extend wing to full 36"  tip rib to tip rib like my original prototype.  Makes it even better!  30" used to help
meet a price for kit.  If you use plastic film double number of false ribs.....
rw

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
Larry, extend wing to full 36"  tip rib to tip rib like my original prototype.  Makes it even better!  30" used to help
meet a price for kit.  If you use plastic film double number of false ribs.....
rw
This is good to know as I have the Sig shaped L/E. This would increase wing area. I will use 3/32 " wing rigs as 1/16 are to brittle. Still have three Johnson C/S and oine J/BB. Cheers,Dan

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
Guys,
  I went back a bit further with this one.  This is a 1958 designed Killer by Larry Scarinzi. This plane was actually framed around 1978 by my father. Swapped out the Bellcrank, checked the tank and did some sanding. I tried something new and applied SLC before putting silk on the wing. I will start a thread in the finishing section as I feel obligated to tell everyone of my experience. Nothing negative, just a learning curve. Still Needs a couple more coats of clear yet. Fox 36xbb on crankcase pressure.
AMA 13001

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
That Combat Streak in the background looks familiar... am I right?

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
Walter,
  Yes, that is a beautifully crafted kit of the Super Combat Streak by no one, other then, well.........um.... you!  :)
 Guys, its a great kit! Walter has some great build pictures on his website and I'll post some pics when I get a bit further on mine.
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
Well here is my latest antique combat plane, designed by one of my Heroes who is now gone.   Power is a OS .35 that was just laying around.   It has not been flown yet.   Messed up by not reading the listing on Ebay.   All I got the article and a note to take plan to printing place to have them enlarged.   That is where Barry came in handy as he had the full size plans.   Predesessor to the Equalizer and a few of his other designs.   

If you guessed Jerk Line Special, you got it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »
Walter,
  Yes, that is a beautifully crafted kit of the Super Combat Streak by no one, other then, well.........um.... you!  :)
 Guys, its a great kit! Walter has some great build pictures on his website and I'll post some pics when I get a bit further on mine.

HI Tom,

I hope to get started on my Super Combat Streak from Walter before long.  I had one back 40 years ago, and really liked it.  I didn't fly combat competitively, but really liked the model.  It ad a Fox .35 Stunt in it.  No problem doing the pattern!

Make sure and post some pictures of yours!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »
Doc,
  Looks great! I have to put that on my list. Very unique looking plane.

Bill,
  I had one as a kid. McCoy .29 lightning bolt! Flew the crap out of that thing. It had wing mounted gear, which I'm planning on doing as well. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
Doc,
  Looks great! I have to put that on my list. Very unique looking plane.

Bill,
  I had one as a kid. McCoy .29 lightning bolt! Flew the crap out of that thing. It had wing mounted gear, which I'm planning on doing as well. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I look forward to seeing yours finished!  I think mine flew better than a normal Flite Streak.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
Hi Tom,

I look forward to seeing yours finished!  I think mine flew better than a normal Flite Streak.

Thanks!
Bill
think mine flew better than a normal Flite Streak  ??

Bill, Not with a Fox 35 it didn't. Time really is making that old oaken bucket look better then it ever was.
we had 2 of them out today with a newer Enya 30 and an Enya 35/4  . Both of them would have made mincemeat out a Fox powered Streak. But I really do love flying that old pile of memories and thanks to Walt it has never been easier. Hope you can get yours together when your back in fighting form.
Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I wasn't flying that one fast at all.  And it would fly just a tad bit slower than the regular Streak. I found that the Streaks and other profiles that size liked to fly around 4.8-5.0 on 60' lines while the Combat Streak would fly at up to about 5.3.  I was using it for stunt, not combat.
Purely personal preference.

Now, I had a plans built Zero from Flying Models.  40" WS, short fuselage, .36X, 9-8 Power Prop
and Missle Mist.  Launched usually from a speed dolly.  It was pretty quick!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
HI Tom,

I hope to get started on my Super Combat Streak from Walter before long.  I had one back 40 years ago, and really liked it.  I didn't fly combat competitively, but really liked the model.  It ad a Fox .35 Stunt in it.  No problem doing the pattern!

Make sure and post some pictures of yours!

Bill

Finally got back on the super combat streak. Can't say enough about the quality of Walter's kit. By far the best I've ever had the pleasure of building. It's the reason I got a bit carried away!
   Another endorsement for the edge block 2080 tape. I had painted the trim back in June, got busy with life and it sat with the trim still masked off until Christmas. The tape pulled off like it was placed the day before. Anyway, here she is, it still needs clear! Colors are old Aero-gloss, brushed and color sanded. The plan was, to use it as my beginner stunt ship. I was going for a real classic look and think I captured it with the cowling and fillets. It needs a little more  trim on the wing, AMA number and logo and the clear goes on. Debating on what to do with the skirts, Silk, paint,etc.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:34:38 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Couple more
AMA 13001

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
Tom,
Beautiful job !
Frank

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
Thanks, Frank!
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
Makes me want to build one of my Combat Streaks.   Looks great like we used to do it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
It looks really sharp, Tom!  Too pretty to fly combat! ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
Thanks guys! It was a really enjoyable build!
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Over the last few winters I got the bug to build some old combat ships so I could use my old motors again. 1. Original Flite Streak with 36X. 100mph on pressure. Refitted with my first Fox. A 1962 Rocket. Speed and power just right now. 2. Umland Half Fast, 1958 Blackhead. Lots of fun. Nice kit. 3. Umland Sneeker Fox LS BB. enjoyable to fly. Runs about 115. Voodoo, Mk4 with Mk6 p/l. 120. Combat Kat. G-21 115. Blue Sky WOW K&B greenhead. Another nice kit and fun to fly. The problem is, they all seem to fly LOTS faster than 40 years ago!! Could it be the pilot is slower??  Knock on wood I haven't stuffed one yet. Its quite a thrill to grab ahold of one of these things again! Even if we're not using Blast. Tom, should we get an old combat ship fun fly together?  T.S.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
Haven't the Canadians already done that for vintage combat?   Seems I seen an article to that effect some time ago.   They were built and flown with the period engines.   Also the rules were such as there was no carnage of beautiful models.   Of couse the British are doing that now with one design events.  I am working on a Dominator for the Tigre 2.5 Diesel I have.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »
Doc...Yes...and No....read the details.  http://flyinglines.org/graffiti.12.html

I haven't figured out what the eligible designs are for Graffiti Combat, but I haven't exactly been researching it, either.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
I made the cut off 1963 so that and anything previous is legal.

http://flyinglines.org/graffiti.rules.pdf

http://flyinglines.org/kb.graffiti.html

Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Thanks Steve, I knew I had seen it somewhere.  But how many guys would paint their planes up like we used to back then?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »
Tom,
  To answer your question regarding a fun fly. I am all for a fun fly! I too have been building a surplus of old designs. I have in my arsenal a Super Satan, Killer, and a Voodoo. I'm in the process of restoring a Greased Lightning that my father built in the early sixties as well, all powered by 36x's. Actually, I would like to finish out the fleet with a nemesis and scrambler too!

Tom
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:55:15 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Yeah, I'll talk to the boys this winter to see if we can get something together. We are having some sound sensitivity issues at our field so will have to work something out, eh?   TS

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
Hey, I am running a muffler on an OS .35 that poers my Jerkline Special.   I have a blast with it and the make shift landing gear.   Will try for some pictures.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here