News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wtb. ST .46 con rod  (Read 1029 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wtb. ST .46 con rod
« on: December 18, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »
I’m trying to rebuild a .46 but can’t get the wrist pin out despite my best effort.  If I can find a con rod I’ll just cut the one in the engine.  Thanks.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Wtb. ST .46 con rod
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 08:50:53 AM »
Hi.
In extreme cases it is possible to avoid cutting the connecting rod by making a small hole in the front of the cylinder.  This allows you to "push" the pin to pull it out.

Massimo

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
I’m trying to rebuild a .46 but can’t get the wrist pin out despite my best effort.  If I can find a con rod I’ll just cut the one in the engine.  Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave;
    Have you tried using a sheet metal screw, wood screw or dry wall run into the pin to pull with? Take that puppy right out of the path of a heat gun, run the best fitting screw into the pin until it grabs really good, and keep twisting until it breaks loose. I let them soak in some heat and penetrating oil and sometimes it6 takes heat and cool cycles to get them unstuck. Tom Lay coached me to make a small hook out of music wire to reach through the pin to pull it with also. the trick with the screw seems to be the best at breaking them loose.
    Type at you later and
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 12:52:05 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions.  I sure rather not bore holes in the engine case.  Also location would need to be very precisely located.  I have tried jostling it loose with a piece of wire down through the hole.  The hole is less than 1/16” so can’t get much of a hook in.  I applied heat with a heat gun,  soaked it two days each in alcohol and lacquer thinner.  I may try putting it in the oven for a cycle or two and maybe jamming a screw in.  The engine was RC and has some but not a lot of time on it.  It HAS been sitting for an unknown number of years.  The bearings are sort of grinding so it has to come apart to replace those at least.  I’ll keep working at it but if there is even a used part out there I may consider just grinding .....

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »
   As you heat it, give it a touch of PB Blaster along the way. As parts expand, the oil can seep in. PB Blaster seems to cut the old castor as it softens in the heat. ATF will do the same thing and it has some detergent qualities to it. It will come loose.  I use the term "hook" kind of loosely. Tom told me to cut the wire ( .030" or the next size up) with a pair of side cutters at an angle so it left a sharp point. You kind of wrinkle the wire so you can get that point to grab on the inside of the pin. Pretty easy to make but hard to describe! The heat and oil will get the jo done. Wish I was closer and I would just tear it down for you. Heating in the over needs to be done to get the liner loose anyway, so when you get it that hot, the oil will be more effective.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
Yea , its usually dried castor between piston & rod , ON the PIN .

Really you leave the LINER in , just lifted enough to access the pin . i.e. lower edge level with the top of the fredded ole . so the PISTON is LOCATED .

However , icicle sticks ea side of pin & push the pin Fwd . then stick fwd of pin , ease piston fwd . WITH HEAT . thisisto start to get it moveing .
A easyout or pointy blade in the pin pad to ROTATE the pin helps. untill you snap it .

a dress makers pin with the very end ( 0.5 mm ? ) bent 0 degrees will thread into the pin pad , then you can pull it out . Then use easyout on wrist pin .  :(

HHeat & CRC / WD 40 . cycles . UNSTICKING it is Step One , if castor glued . As is disolving & freeing the castor .And a ' ositive Mental attitude ' . not to mention a steady hand .

a 21/40 con rod'd do . i cutting , pilot drill say 2 mm , then 1/8 , then 5 mm . in bench vice , then snap . Heard of RPM rods . ? used to be trick bushed U.S. made fit .

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »
I have the sleeve out already.  That wasn’t too bad.  I couldn’t get to the pin with the sleeve still in.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 06:48:15 PM »
I have the sleeve out already.  That wasn’t too bad.  I couldn’t get to the pin with the sleeve still in.

Dave

Well, if you got the sleeve out, you can heat the piston more directly. You have been around the block a time or two to know how far you can push things. If you have small propane torch, you can heat the piston directly, but carefully, and heat cycle it quicker than the whole engine that way. The biggest pain is the smoke and smell from the oil from doing this if you can't do it outside or in a garage or something. It does get the job done. And if you have the liner out, you have some room to push the pin in to break it loose. Most of the ST.46s have aluminum pads on the pin I think so not too much worry there. Perseverance and patience is the key!!  You will get it loose!!
   Type at you later,
  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Gerry Glier

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
 Hi Dave !
I may have one for you. NOS part number 02030109 on back of package if you want to check. Looks like it…..
Also pin NOS part number 2270365. Email me and I can send a pic. Or if you decide it would be a better parts motor I have a NOS rc 46. We could also work out that price at the Roadhouse in Muncie.
Gerry

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Hi Dave !
I may have one for you. NOS part number 02030109 on back of package if you want to check. Looks like it…..
Also pin NOS part number 2270365. Email me and I can send a pic. Or if you decide it would be a better parts motor I have a NOS rc 46. We could also work out that price at the Roadhouse in Muncie.
Gerry

02030109 is the correct number

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
Hi Dave !
Gerry
Gerry you are forever bailing me out!  Pack it all up and send it.  Din-Din at the Roadhouse will be on me.  Thanks ! Dave.  I will still try once again to get the pin out....
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 04:55:08 PM »
After you heat the piston you should put the sleeve back in so the skirt of the sleeve sits just above the wrist pin hole. The top of the piston will be in the sleeve for support as you use a 1/8" drift punch to move the pin and break loose from the goop. I use a piece of .025" music wire with a hard 180 degree bend on the end to go into the hole and hook the end cap. If you don't have the sleeve in place you might bend the rod or hurt the lower bushing.

Castrol Super Clean or any strong alkaline will melt dried castor but it doesn't really penetrate into the close tolerance areas.

Motorman 8)
Thanks for the tip about putting the sleeve back in....Will do.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »
02030109 is the correct number
Thanks for verifying.....
AMA 20934

Offline Dick Myers

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »
Use a 2-56 tap and thread the wrist pin cap. Screw in a 2-56 bolt and it will come out with heat!
AMA 5653

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here