News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTB Sig Magnum kit  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Jim Liddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
WTB Sig Magnum kit
« on: December 26, 2022, 12:19:40 AM »
I am looking for a Sig Magnum kit.
Thanks

Offline greg meyer

• Ensign
Re: WTB Sig Magnum kit
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
PM sent Greg

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »
I am looking for a Sig Magnum kit.
Thanks

I have a spare.  Where are you located?  What is your budget (with the demise of Greyhound parcel shipping “mailing” a big ‘ol Magnum box will be a pretty penny).

Paul W.

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 07:09:16 PM »
It sounds like there might be more than one available, if that is the case I might be interested as well.  In a rather dumb move on my part I gave away a kit 11 years ago not realizing that I would be flying C/L once again.  I have been looking from time to time but by the time I see one it is generally already sold.

Thanks,

Teo
Michigan

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 08:13:21 PM »
Jim Liddle - Your mailbox is full. You need to delete some of your messages in order to receive new messages.

Offline Jim Liddle

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 08:12:37 AM »
I deleted all the old ones thanks

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 12:56:25 PM »
It sounds like there might be more than one available, if that is the case I might be interested as well.  In a rather dumb move on my part I gave away a kit 11 years ago not realizing that I would be flying C/L once again.  I have been looking from time to time but by the time I see one it is generally already sold.

Thanks,

Teo
Michigan

Hi Guy’s,
I would have never thought there would be that much interest in the Magnum.  This design goes back to the late 70’s when I first designed it.  The Magnum has changed over the years with the first three being I Beam Models, then foam wing versions and built up versions.  I’ve built a total of 10 models of the Magnum and they were all successful flying models, like any model some were great and others not so great.  Learned a lot about changing parts of the model to improve the performance. 

At one point I thought it was too big so I clipped the wings 5” inches.  The problem was lack of power from the old ST 46 engine,  when you had a good fit on the ring, it didn’t have a problem hauling the 700 sq in, wing area around.  The Magnum was built as large as 750 sq, in, wing area powered with the ST 60, it was still all about the a good fit on the ring for max power and consistent running.  There are many great running engines now days to choose from (and now the electric power plant has come into its own) so choosing an engine is much easer to do.

Later,
Mikey Pratt

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 12:22:17 AM »
I have a spare.  Where are you located?  What is your budget (with the demise of Greyhound parcel shipping “mailing” a big ‘ol Magnum box will be a pretty penny).

Paul W.

Mr. Liddle - The prices below are shipping estimates from Long Beach Calif to Lebanon Tenn.  I cannot get a firm-fixed shipping quote until after I get the kit boxed or crated so that the actual dimensions and weight are known.  And obviously I can’t spend the energy or money to get the kit boxed or crated until money is in hand.

These prices do not include the cost of a cardboard box (or simple crate) to protect the Sig box.

These are the slowest (1-2 week transit time)

FedEx Ground - $93.14
UPS Ground - $105.56
USPS - $126.55

So if I estimate $40 for my local Pack-&-Ship outfit to box it up, and
Just for fun $150 for the kit itself…

The lowest total cost to acquire is approximately $93.14 + $40 + $150 = $283.14 (again this amount is an estimate until the kit is double-boxed and then measured and weighed by FedEx for an accurate shipping quote).

Unless you find one local to you (or you drive to Calif and back once in a while) I’m afraid this is the reality of modern-day pricing.

Are you still interested?

Paul W.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 12:37:21 AM »

FedEx Ground - $93.14

Just for fun here’s a picture of what FedEx did to a Strega (ARC) Kit that was shipped to me.  That’s a size 13 Shoeprint on the box!  The sole of said shoe pressed the fuselage down onto the wing halves inside the box, crushing all three portions of the model.  FedEx refunded the purchase price plus shipping, but the seller had to do all the legwork.  The good news was none of the hardware was damaged so if I ever decide to scratch-build a Strega…

I don’t believe shipping CL kits is the least bit viable any longer.  I don’t know how Brodak’s does it.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 01:27:55 AM »
Just for fun here’s a picture of what FedEx did to a Strega (ARC) Kit that was shipped to me.  That’s a size 13 Shoeprint on the box!  The sole of said shoe pressed the fuselage down onto the wing halves inside the box, crushing all three portions of the model. 

That is appalling!

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 09:44:05 AM »
There’s one currently up for auction with 3 days to go.
Shipping is only $70, or local pick up near Dallas TX.
Ends Tues Jan 17, 2023 at 9:22am (Texas Time I think).

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 05:03:42 AM »
theres one on Ebay for sale
AMA 21449

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 12:01:56 PM »
theres one on Ebay for sale

Look at Reply #10

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 04:56:07 PM »
Does anybody know who paid $270 ($199 + $70 shipping) for the Sig Magnum on FeeBay?

Did the original poster Mr. Liddle get it?

I’m guessing the high bidder’s bid was at least slightly higher than $199 and the “first loser” bid was somewhere around $198.  So there’s at least one person out there who wants a Sig Magnum kit and their budget is $268+/-.

I’m tempted to advertise mine for sale LOL.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here