News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTB OS FPS 40 NVA  (Read 1007 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WTB OS FPS 40 NVA
« on: December 30, 2022, 03:29:22 AM »
Does anyone have an FP 40 needle valve assembly? It doesn't have to have the needle part, just the valve, nut, and flange for keeping the needle from moving.

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
Re: WTB OS FPS 40 NVA
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
If you do business on eBay, there is a couple sellers that have a variety of NVA assemblies. Do a search there and they should pop right up. Sometimes it's better to go with brand new than trying to match up older used stuff. I have several engines (Fox .35's!) With Super Tigre type NVA's missing the needles and ordered a grip of them only to discover they were all different threads.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 06:29:05 PM »
Actually Phil, ive seen the ebay nva's and that's the reason im posting here. 71 dollars is a little pricey for a needle valve.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:58:17 PM »
There is a Bob Brooks on ebay.  On Ebay his dealer name is shtterman.  He talked Enya into making Needle valve assemblies and needle valves that are direct replacement for OS FPs and OS LAs.   

I've dealt with him many times.  He is reliable and the Enya direct replacement Needle valve assemblies fit perfectly and work well.

Check out his ebay store at https://www.ebay.com/str/The-control-line-store?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 07:17:18 PM »
Actually Phil, ive seen the ebay nva's and that's the reason im posting here. 71 dollars is a little pricey for a needle valve.

There is something wrong there. I think his price for a complete NVA is like 17 or 18 bucks. He has a combo deal that includes a venturi but even that isn't that expensive. Something doesn't sound right.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 02:16:19 AM »
My bad Dan, The price is in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate of the usd dollar to canadian is ridiculous.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 07:12:05 AM »
  Here is what I see from this side of the border;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293139719059

Gotta be some way to get around this!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »
A few years ago I ordered a nva for a engine. When I received it the threads were chewed up like they didn't use any oil when cutting them and would not shut the fuel flow down to a stop. Told him about it he sent me another great. But second one was the same way. When I contacted him about it he was furious like I didn't know a good nva from a bad one. refunded my money and blocked me from buying anything else. I sent it back as well. It was probably just a bad batch but for me it was not a good experience. And it is unfortunate because he does have a lot of nice stuff and decent prices.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 03:39:53 PM »
A few years ago I ordered a nva for a engine. When I received it the threads were chewed up like they didn't use any oil when cutting them and would not shut the fuel flow down to a stop. Told him about it he sent me another great. But second one was the same way. When I contacted him about it he was furious like I didn't know a good nva from a bad one. refunded my money and blocked me from buying anything else. I sent it back as well. It was probably just a bad batch but for me it was not a good experience. And it is unfortunate because he does have a lot of nice stuff and decent prices.

When it comes to SO needle valve assemblies, it can get confusing!! First off, they are NOT the same as Enya, although they look the same. Enya spray bar threads are just a fuzz smaller. The original FP NVA units for the early engines are a certain size, just can't remember what it measured out to be. these were the NVAs that were in the bags with the black header cards. The needles for those NVAs were very nice with a long taper and a sharp point. Fast forward to the later generation FPS and then the LA series came out. The parts for the LA series engines are now packaged in a bag with a white and blue blue header card. These are different than the original units and measure just a bit smaller. It's been a year or two but I had good examples of each and measured them and tried them for cross over use and such. The newer NVAs have needles that are not as nicely tapered, and some times cause problems getting and holding a needle. I have successfully tapered them more finely by chucking them up in a drill and working them slowly with a fine file. I compared these spray bars to the OS .15 spray bar ( I think that is what it was,) and I think that once the existing stock of original FP style NVAs was exhausted, they went to a different spray bar to use up stock. I don't think there has been any new NVAs from OS for quite a while, several years at least. That is the reason shtterman went to Enya and had them make a run of needles to the specs of the last .20/.25/40/46 NVAs. I got a few from him, and there was some issue with the threads, and I think it was on the retaining nuts. They were a little loose, and my concern was tightening them down and stripping. I brought the subject up with Bob and he said he had some complaints about just that. Nuts from OS units seemed to fit correctly. This all transpired maybe 2 years ago, and it may have been resolved. I went through my entire collection of needle valves, new and used and tried to separate and segregate them for my own benefit. So, the main thing is to check your stuff!! If some one says that they have "OS" needle valve assemblies, they should be examined and measure to be sure of what they have.
  Type at you later  and
  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 02:13:34 PM »
Since It was an Rc FP 40, and didnt cost me anything, I'm thinking to just bite the bullet and order the ST  need valve assembly from him, or maybe i will ask Tom Dixon or Randy Smith since they reworked alot of these FP engines. Then there is the issue of drilling the case or not, which would also probably require a larger venturi to make up for any power loss if the NVA is larger, I am assuming.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 04:32:20 PM »
I order the 6mm venturi and the smaller NV from Bob Brooks - the Control Line Store on Ebay. He talked about going off of EBAY in the New Year.  I'm not sure he did.  If you want to talk to him I have his phone number.  Just PM me.

He has the the whole NVA with the ST size needle complete with a 7mm venturi and "yes" you have to drill.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here