News:
2018----><---- T Shirt

• February 19, 2019, 02:48:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTB--Old style spinner hardware  (Read 333 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
WTB--Old style spinner hardware
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »
Guys,

I'm working on two separate projects that need 1-1/2" spinners. The plans called out 1-3/4", but they look huge when mocked up.

I have three 1-1/2" cones and backplates, but only one set of hardware. I believe these were originally used for quarter midget pylon racing. All aluminum, flush backplate, and an oddball countersunk+oval head with slotted driver kind of screw. The screw needs to be at least 3/4" long and is 10-32UNF. I also need the adapter nut (1/4-28UNF prop shaft) and recessed washer.

I sure could use two sets, but even one will get me going!

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: WTB--Old style spinner hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:15 PM »
send me a picture of what u have
rad racer

Offline Mike Hazel

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:43 PM »
Dave,  I have dozens of spinners and bits of hardware up for sale right now.  To view the list go to:  flyinglines.org and click on the "flying flea market" section.  There you will find a link for current inventory. 

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »
That type of nose screw sounds like a Fox spinner. I haven't got any parts to contribute to your search, but the adapter nut shouldn't be difficult to find. Perhaps McMaster-Carr could sell you an oval head screw (with 99 spares, of course!)

BB

Offline Paul W.

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
Guys,

I'm working on two separate projects that need 1-1/2" spinners. The plans called out 1-3/4", but they look huge when mocked up.

I have three 1-1/2" cones and backplates, but only one set of hardware. I believe these were originally used for quarter midget pylon racing. All aluminum, flush backplate, and an oddball countersunk+oval head with slotted driver kind of screw. The screw needs to be at least 3/4" long and is 10-32UNF. I also need the adapter nut (1/4-28UNF prop shaft) and recessed washer.

I sure could use two sets, but even one will get me going!

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Dave - Do your spinners look like any of these three?

Paul W.

Offline Dave Hull

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:06 PM »
Guys,

Been away from the computer helping someone fix a leaky roof. (Gonna rain some more here....)

These spinners look a lot like the bottom one in Paul's second photo. That one has a countersink in it where the screw seats. (Not a counterbore, which is how the current TruTurn and Dave Brown Vortex spinners are configured to handle a regular socket head cap screw.)

Yes, I can probably buy the adapter kit from either TruTurn or Dave Brown, but the screw will have to be special. It is an 82 deg countersink, which is standard, but a standard flathead is only .125 head height, so I wouldn't end up with the domed tip as the original. Which is not a deal-breaker, but....

I could do a bit of turning on a standard 1/4-28 Allen head cap screw and get close. Probably the easiest way.

The DB 1/4-28 short adapter would probably fit inside, but it is still bigger than what I think the original had. Again, if there are sufficient threads, it's no big deal to grind off a bit in length from the front. Same with the TruTurn adapter.

Need a few days to decide. No rush, since I have so many unfinished projects all demanding something to finish or to repair.

Divot McSlow

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:38:09 PM »
As previously mentioned, you can get an 82 degree countersunk oval head screw from McMaster-Carr. Although you'll have to buy many more than anyone will ever need, the price may be palatable when compared to the fiddling around you may otherwise have to do.

BB

Offline Dave Hull

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
Bill,

When I first looked in McMC, I didn't see anything. Your comment made me look again--and sure enough, oval heads. (The key was to search on "oval," not to look thru the pics of the screw types....)  The price isn't bad, and needed at least 3 plus some spares. So I'll just order some.

Maybe I can make a Steampunk chest with the other 95 oval head screws...?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Paul W.

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:46:25 PM »
Dave - Quite often there are sellers on eBay who buy the bag of 100 whatevers, split it into ten bags of ten and resell them.  That way you wouldn’t have this continuing cycle of too many spinners not enough screws, then too many screws not enough spinners.  Is it just me or do you seem to be constantly plagued by problems with “nutski’s & boltski’s”, LOL.

Here’s another solution: buy two brand new spinners, probably Tru-Turn, maybe Great Planes, of whatever size and shape you desire, and BUY THE CORRECT ADAPTER & HARDWARE at the same time.  Problem solved.

So what are these projects you are working on?

Paul W.

Offline Dave Hull

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:02:01 AM »
Paulo,

Whaddyamean I got's nutski/boltski issues? A guy ort to be usen the parts whut's needed. But I don't remember other nuts and bolts treasure hunts. Except maybe the time I wuz lookin' fer two pieces of 0-80 all-thread 60 feet long. I figured, that way you don't need a fancy adjustable handle, right? Don't know what other example you might be thinkin' of? Perhaps you could share a couple?

I have both TruTurn and Dave Brown 1-3/4" spinners, complete with attach hardware. NIPed. When I installed them on the projects (no longer NIPed), they are way too large. Dave Brown even offered the 1-3/4" in a needlenose variety (Vortech) which is the size/shape the plans called for. Too big. Needs not met by either of these two companies.

Great Pains offers plastic spinners down to 1-3/4" diameter in a standard contour. Held on with two smaller screws. No joy there at all.

TruTurn and Dave Brown use socket head cap screws, not oval/countersunk heads, so they are not compatible. The ones from McMaster Carr are compatible, so I'll just get a package. I may check at the local nuts and bolts store near me first. That part solved. Gotsa boltski, no nutski.

For the adapters, I'm still looking at my choices. Trust me, it'll all work out in the end.

Divot McSlow

These two particular projects are nostalgia airplanes. With wings and such-like. Just for fun. May even fly 'em. Depends on if the glue becomes antique before they get finished. Well down the path to biodegraded status now....

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
  • Millville NJ PDQ Flying Clown Country
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »
You probably all ready know this but, you'll need extra screws anyway, the way that goes together, if you change to a prop with a different thickness hub you need a different length screw. You have to make sure the screw doesn't bottom out in the prop nut or be too short and not catch enough threads.

Those prop nuts might have to be custom made. 1/4-28 on one end and 10-32 on the other right? but what's the length?

Motorman 8)
There will be a sunny day and we will fly our airplanes.

Offline Dave Hull

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:58 PM »
Motors,

You're on the money. The likely prop(s) will have a 3/8" hub thickness. After all the parts are stacked up, the nut will need to be about 7/8" long. That leaves a little either way for variations. Since no one has any of these laying around, not being used, I will just buy a footlong section of 7/16" free-machining steel hex stock from McMaster. That's only five bucks, and I'll order it alongside the oval head screws and a few other items. There should be a 1/4-28UNF bottoming tap in the drawer with the standards....

One of the spinners was used, and the nut for that one was butchered by someone trying to shorten it. There are only 1-1/2 to 2 threads left on the 10-32UNF and that ain't gonna cut it. The others were apparently never used, but the hardware was long gone when I bought them.

Divot McSlow

Quality begins when the first tool is picked up:

Hack to length,
Chop for clearance,
File to fit,
Hammer to finish,
Pry to assemble,
Paint to match, and
Drop before shipping.
Done.

Tags: