News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:30:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WANTED: ST.46 W/Muffler Ears Engine Core  (Read 984 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WANTED: ST.46 W/Muffler Ears Engine Core
« on: June 07, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
  What are the chances that some one has a ST.46 with a worn out piston and ring out there? I am looking for a good engine core to install a Brian Gardner ABC piston and liner set in. I have a few, but they all are in pretty good condition with very good compression and hate to take out a good fitting piston and liner. I just want to try this out and see how they run. I just need a good, solid core with muffler ears, complete crankshaft with prop drive washer, back plate and head. In other words, a complete engine that just has a worn out ring or bad piston and rod. An R/C version would work also as I think I have or can get venturi parts and NV assemblies.
   Thanks a lot in advance,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WANTED: ST.46 W/Muffler Ears Engine Core
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
Dan,

I think I just saw one on Da Bay. Don't know how much you want to pay. but its there.

Good luck, Jerry

Just checked it and it is up to $80 with four bidders and about a day & a half to go. You probably don't want to pay that much and I don't blame you!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WANTED: ST.46 W/Muffler Ears Engine Core
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
Hi Dan. I have a few like that, plus six Brian ABC conversions. They take a LONG time to break in. y1 Send me your mailing address and I'll get one off to you ASAP. Ty M>

Good Morning Ty!
   Thanks for the response. I'll get you a PM off and follow up with an email with my address. I have done several LA.46 conversions with the BG parts, and while I found that the instructed break in procedure worked well enough to be able to fly the engine, it did take much more running before I could use the bigger props i am used to running on the LA.46. I have a foam wing version of the Legacy 40 that weighs in the 60 ounce range but flies well with the LA.46 and the APC 12.25-3.75 prop. After installing the BG equipped engine, it would not pull that prop like a stock engine could. I flew the model with a variety of other 12 inch props for the rest of the year and never had a bad run with it. Even when trying to use the bigger APC prop, I wasn't getting a bad run, you just could tell the engine wasn't happy. The following spring I decided to start over with the experiments and flew a few flights with the s 12 inch props, then switched to the 12.25-3.75 for one more try, and it sang a different tune! That particular airplane needs and is much happier with that prop, so will watch for similar results with the others I have lined up. I've communicated with Brian about it and he confirmed that from engine to engine, break in or running in time may vary due to tolerances in the original engine.
  Thanks a lot and type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here