News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wanted: KB Infant 02  (Read 576 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Wanted: KB Infant 02
« on: April 22, 2022, 07:11:04 PM »
I'm interested in building up a quite small, all-balsa sport free flight model called the Tic Tac.  The designer, Bob Stalick, used a K&B Infant .020 on the original.  While I may have parts to cobble up for a Cox Pee Wee .020, if I can find a running KB Infant that someone would be willing to part with, I would like to replicate Bob's earlier design.

TIA,
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Wanted: KB Infant 02
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 10:22:10 AM »
Be aware that glow plugs are special to that engine and you might have a hard time finding them.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 11:10:32 AM »
  Hi Jim;
    I need to do some real digging to see if I have an extra one of those engines but will look. The one I have is in a complete box with paper work and the metal prop that came with them, I think, haven't had it out in a while. I will risk life and limb by getting down on the floor and risk not being able to get back up again to get to where those engines are and go through them. In the mean time, where did you source the plan  for the Tic Tac? I just did a quick outerzone search and there are some Stalick designs there but not that one.
   Stay tuned for further developments,
  Dan McEntee

PS Edit to add: OK, I did a quick google search and found it was in Model Aviation, so I can check it out there. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:28:31 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »
I recently gave away a K&B Infant engine.  After running it, my suspicions were confirmed.  This is a gutless wonder.  Other than being "cute", it is suitable only for some sort of sport free flight model.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »
Thanks, Dan, Floyd, Steve,

Yes, I ended up getting a copy of the plan from the AMA.  And, I suspected that it was probably classed as a gutless wonder.  60+ years ago when I moved from rubber powered and gliders to the wonderful world of engines, the only thing I ever saw or used were Cox and Wen-Mac engines that I scavenged from plastic ARF control-line models that didn't survive their figure 9's or across the top wingovers.  IIRC, the only Infant I ever saw referenced was in model mags once I started cutting grass and had a dollar or two.  Another clue here is that the Tic Tak is quite small, ~24" span.  Quite likely I'll not be able to find an Infant that would actually run, even if a suitable glow plug could be located.  But I thought I'd at least give it a shot.

Thanks,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 11:39:30 AM »
For those of you under 70 (or 80) this is what the K&B "infant" 020 engine looks like.  All we can say about it is that this engine might have been the inspiration for the future Cox engines.  These engines came with a metal prop, which smart modelers should have discarded immediately!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here