News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:29:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Midwest Magician plans  (Read 979 times)

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Midwest Magician plans
« on: July 06, 2022, 07:35:21 PM »
I am looking for a set of Midwest Magician plans 48" wingspan .35 size. I used to have a set that I bought from Barry Baxter the last I was working on a Magician but they are history. Any help is much appreciated. Richard
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Midwest Magician plans
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 08:29:51 PM »
These plans are free on the Outerzone web site.   https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4660    You may need to check the as-printed dimensions.

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 05:45:36 PM »
Thank you Steve. I do have a copy of the Technical Model Products plan shown there which are very nice plans. I was looking for the original Midwest plans that show equal panels, flaps, and different landing gear.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 07:28:01 PM »
Thank you Steve. I do have a copy of the Technical Model Products plan shown there which are very nice plans. I was looking for the original Midwest plans that show equal panels, flaps, and different landing gear.

The Magician was kitted by Technical Model Products first, which was Jim Silhavy's company. Then the design was sold to Midwest and as far as memory serves me, there were no changes in the design. I have copies of both plans and will try to find time to pull them and measure. The Brodak offering is much smaller but still considered "authentic" by Jim Silhavy. I don't think Jim is still with us to ask. Walt Umland kitted the airplane and communicated with Jim on it pretty thoroughly and he may see this and jump in. Meanwhile if I can lay my hands on the plans easily I will try to do so ASAP. I have all four kitted versions in my collection.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:52 PM »
AMA has them  from the John Pond plan service catalog. The cross ref. plan No. is; 54A1

Good luck, Jerry

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:39:24 PM »
  Just checked out both the Midwest kit plan and the Technical Model Products kit plan ands both show about 2" of offset on the inboard wing. They are drawn up differently, and I didn't have a large flat surface to do any kind of an over lay comparison, but got a good enough measurement with a tape measure to come up with the 2" offset approximate dimension. When I was breaking into C/L stint back in the mid to late 80's, the guys flying Magicians were building them up with equal panels wings and moving the stab/elevator back to the back of the fuselage. I can't say if that helped anything or not. If you wish to fly the model in any kind of Classic competition, the modifications won't be allowed, but for fun flying or PAMPA beginner/intermediate competition, or profile classes, anything goes.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

It would be worth the time to do a search on the forums for other posts on the Magician, as over the years it has been discussed many time. Be advised there is another model called the SNAFU Magician I believe, that may come up in a search, and it is a completely different airplane. Jim Kraft is a big fan of the Magician and including his name in the search may help a lot.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:44:52 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:19 AM »
I have both kits..no difference,  both have the longer inboard wing.   These fly quite well this way and yes, we always used working flaps except on the last one built.  It flys well too but gives up a measure in square corners.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 04:05:18 PM »
Interesting history on the Magician. Dan thank you for taking the time to check both plans. I did not know that Jim owned TMP, pretty neat stuff. Jerry thank you for info on the plans too. Ty, I think I have a picture of your Magician, red and white trim on it? Very nice .
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 04:57:39 PM »
Alright we have winner! I will be ordering a set of plans from AMA. Guess I am getting old about the plan specs but Dan is right, inboard wing panel is longer on both plans, Shazaam!
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here