News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: looking to buy  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Jim z

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
looking to buy
« on: June 15, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »
 Looking to buy a sig akrobat kit.....

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: looking to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 06:25:06 PM »
  If you can't find a kit, and plans will do, here is the site that a guy put together with the history of all SIG kits and the plans are there for download.

https://wanderings-ds.jimdofree.com/sig-c-l-kits/

I think It's basically based on the original Chipmunk wing and a Super Chipmunk rib kit will get you that far. Don't know about canopies.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:16:57 AM »
I have one I can part with , This weekend I will pull the box down and make sure it is complete . Not sure what to price it at .
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »
Dan,  Pretty cool look at the Sig collection especially the old Berkley kits. My P-40 is still flying today after being restored by the new owner I gifted it to.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »
Dan,  Pretty cool look at the Sig collection especially the old Berkley kits. My P-40 is still flying today after being restored by the new owner I gifted it to.

Steve

As I understand it, this site owner is independent of the SIG company and doing it largely as a labor of love. I stumbled across it looking for the pages that Mike Gretz had established regarding the history of the SIG control line kits and exchanged emails with him. He didn't have the Akrobat plans, so I scanned mine and sent those to him as a small contribution to his efforts. His site answers one question, and that is the origin dates of a lot of kits. He shows the Banshee as being released in 1971 and I think that is technically correct, although a lot of people want it to be Classic legal, but there just isn't the hard proof that it was designed in the correct time line, only foggy memories. And he has lots of other plans available for free download also, along with instruction booklets also.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim z

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 02:33:10 PM »
I have one I can part with , This weekend I will pull the box down and make sure it is complete . Not sure what to price it at .

Thank you Gordon,  let me know....

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »
           Jim, sorry for trampling your post, I just thought this site Dan sent is really cool. I'm going through the control line kits and the Sig Kricket in red is my plane. I built the plane many years ago. It looked good, flew terrible. I haven't really seen another one. I believe the wing was responsible for the poor flying. Too narrow and undercambered.  I also know the owner of the black Lancer. That plane makes a regular appearance at New Jersey Vintage Combat.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 11:54:52 AM »
Jim  I sent you a PM .
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »
  If you can't find a kit, and plans will do, here is the site that a guy put together with the history of all SIG kits and the plans are there for download.

https://wanderings-ds.jimdofree.com/sig-c-l-kits/

I think It's basically based on the original Chipmunk wing and a Super Chipmunk rib kit will get you that far. Don't know about canopies.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Thanks Dan,
I did didn’t know this site existed.  I’ve built almost every models show on this site some of them many times lol.  Just for fun the Snipper we would build them in lots of 10 and fly combat out the back door of the warehouse, we had a blast doing this.  In the 20 some years of working at Sig I’ve had the pleasure of building and flying and designing many of these models (along with the FF and RC models).  (In case you interested Dan and I met a long time ago flying RC sailplanes).  Dan and his young son showed up at our first C/L contest at Sig. I was so impressed with Shawn I gave him an Acromaster just for being there, it was a hoot!

I did noticed that nothing was said about who designed the P/F, I gifted that to Sig but told them to copy my plan as close as possible, they did pretty well on that but there were some changes to the parts for production.  As it turned out it flew pretty darn good even though it was heavier than the kit version.

Over the years I’ve had the great honor to meet many people that have become life long friends, some are gone now and will be missed, but many others are still kicking, thank God for that.

Later,
Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here