News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Box-O-Foxes ! Seven 36X Engines (MAKE THAT EIGHT!) (SALE PENDING)  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  I've been going through stuff here in retirement and sorting through stuff I really want and need to keep, and selling off stuff I probably won't use at this stage in life. Part of that is this little collection of seven ( 7) Fox .36X engines I have collected these Fox .36X over the years to maybe just play with some classic vintage combat airplanes with period correct engines. I can still do that with some other engines I have, and have decided to let these go to raise some fun money. I am selling these (all seven of them) as a package only. I don not know how to post pictures here but can send pics to interested parties by text or email. I will describe them here as best I can;

1) Five of these have "FOX 36X " cast into the left side of the case. Two of these just have "FOX" and a small circle machined just below it, but looks just like the others, so I'm assuming it is at least a .36??? All are in nice, cosmetic condition with good mounting holes.

2) One of the .36X engines is pretty much a parts engine. The plug hole is stripped, and the rod has some slop in it. I haven't opened it up to check it out.

3) The other engines have been warmed up to loosen them up, oiled up, and flip over nicely with pretty good compression. All the mounting holes are nice and original. Four of them have inserts in the venturis, two are missing. I think they all have some sort of needle valve in them.

4) I have not run these at all, and they have been sitting in a cardboard box in my basement or attic for who knows how long, but 6 of these should be viable engines with just a bit of service. I have never had one apart, so don't know if they are ball bearing engines, but the front ends look like plain bearings.

5) The seventh engine, as I mentioned, is a parts engines with a stripped plug hole and over size mounting screws. I have not taken it apart to inspect further but it does turn over and has some slop in the rod/piston

6) I can send photos to interested parties and try to answer any questions.  PM me with a cell phone number or an email address to send pictures to.

I'm asking $250 plus actual shipping costs to the continental US only.  PayPal, Money Order or check from some one I know. Shipping stuff off shore has gotten ridiculous but if anyone off shore can make arrangements with some one here in the states to deliver I can work with you on that and ship to them. I am in the St. Louis MO area.

Thanks for looking!

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee

PS: To Update: Make that EIGHT (8) engines!! Just found another. This one is marked .36X. I can put a plug in it and it tightens down, but th threads don't look too wholesome. Flips over with some compression, holes enlarged. Just going  to add this to the pile.

I also just noticed that the two that just say "FOX" have the plugs in the center of the, straight out. I guess that makes these .35 Combat Specials?? I can send specific pics if needed.

UPDATE!! !/17/2022 : I got some information from another member on how to identify these. In checking them out, two are ball bearing engines. The rest are either needle bearing or bushing I guess. One of the bearing engines is the 8th engine I added to this ad late yesterday. Still a good little collection of engines if you want something hotter than a Fox.35 stunt for your vintage combat airplanes!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:02:28 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Box-O-Foxes ! Seven 36X Engines (MAKE THAT EIGHT!)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
  I got more info on how to ID the engines and updated the ad.
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 05:42:00 AM »
Possible that the two unmarked are .29's.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 07:25:23 AM »
Possible that the two unmarked are .29's.

I don't think so, but can't tell without measuring I guess. The plug hole is in center, and the intake is the square one, and I don't know if they used that on any .29? I think they are .35s  but I'll probably pull the heads today and measure the bore to be sure. Thanks for the input.
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
The very first batch of 36X engines had just a spot on the bypass and a straight center glow plug. This was after they discontinued the 35X with the addition of the new crank to increase the stroke.  That was my very first engine!  The 29 engines are usually identifiable by the thin head fins. 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »
The very first batch of 36X engines had just a spot on the bypass and a straight center glow plug. This was after they discontinued the 35X with the addition of the new crank to increase the stroke.  That was my very first engine!  The 29 engines are usually identifiable by the thin head fins.

Thanks for the information Mike. When I first decided to sell these, they all looked alike to me!! If nothing else, this has been an education in identifying Fox .36 engines!!

After checking both engines with the straight centered plug, and the machined spot under 'FOX" on the bypass,  one is a .29X as dictated by the bore. the head does have real narrow spaces between the fins. The other is a .36, for as close as I can measure it has a .714" stroke.

So the straight plug engines are 1) a .29X and 2) and early .36X.

So to review class! There are 8 engines. One is a .29X, one is an early .36X, two are ball bearing version .36Xs, and the rest are .36Xs.  WHEW!!

Thanks again Mike!

Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:27:31 PM »
sent a pm
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 09:03:28 PM »
sent a pm

I replied Richard. I have a sale pending. Thanks for the interest.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here