News:

• November 17, 2017, 05:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back issue of Stunt News  (Read 630 times)

Offline Steve Lotz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Back issue of Stunt News
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:33:38 AM »
Does anyone have the Nov-Dec 1998 issue of Stunt News they would part with? Thanks.

Steve

Offline Steve Lotz

• Ensign
Re: Back issue of Stunt News
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
Bump

Offline Bob Matiska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
I believe I have it somewhere, but do you need the entire issue, or just a particular article? I have an excellent Epson scanner that I can use to scan a few pages for you. Or copy them on my 4-in-1 HP and mail them...

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Steve Lotz

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

I really appreciate this. I'd like to have everything on the "Hi-Fi" stunter that was in that issue.

Steve

Online Dan McEntee

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »
Hi Bob,

I really appreciate this. I'd like to have everything on the "Hi-Fi" stunter that was in that issue.

Steve

Hi Steve;
     I just checked my magazine collection and flipped through the Nov/Dec 1998 Stunt News and did not see anything on a model by that name. Is it supposed to be a construction article, or photos or what? I tried to check out each photo and may have missed it, but did not see even a photo of anything called  "Hi-Fi."  If the date of the issue is incorrect, update it and I'll check again. If I don't have an extra copy, I can also scan and email content. Is the issue in question on fike at the PAMPA website in digital format?
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
It may only be a picture of it. EddyR said it was in the Nov-Dec 1998 issue of Stunt News. I sent an email to Pampa to see if they had back issues but never got a response.

By the way, Dan, I can look for the Cosmic Wind now. I have all the time in the world.

Steve

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
   I think the only known picture of that I/Beamer is in that issue. I will look and post it here.
 Give a couple of days
Ed
South of Cocord NC -25 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bob Matiska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
Here it is, on page 67, Photo A is Larry Phillips's Hi-Fi, 1958. That's all I see so far, just a pic.

Aha! The plane is referred to in an article on page 100, "Pedigree of the Early I-Beam Stunters"  Now to skim the article and see what it says about the plane.

First significant statement on page 102: the Hi-Fi had a span of 50 inches. The second one: The Jupiter, Lunar and Hi-Fi are actually modified Neptunes.

From page 103: "Larry Phillips's Hi-Fi was a delightful, sway-back-looking model that won Senior Stunt at the 1955 Nats. The original vertical fin had a unique forward hooked shape. Larry flew fast, swooping maneuvers with low pullouts that really drew oohs and aahs from spectators. One inverted pullout was so low the vertical tail was knocked off. A more rounded fin and rudder went on, and Hi-Fi was refinished in a simple, yet attractive design. Larry is in the process of drawing up the Hi-Fi plans and has promised to show both versions of the vertical tail."

That's all, folks. The article is from 19 years ago and I don't know if any plans were ever finished. God willing, Larry is probably still with us, but where? The PAMPA website is under reconstruction, so where else might we find him?

Bob in NEPA
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:16:59 PM by Bob Matiska »
AMA 56267

Offline Steve Lotz

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
From what little I know, he passed away in 2005.

Online Dan McEntee

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »
  Hi Steve;
   I have an extra copy of that issue with a torn rear cover. PM your address to me and I'll get it in the mail ASAP. I flipped through the mag quickly the other night before bed and completely missed this! Glad it got figured out.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:25:37 AM »
Thanks Bob and Dan. Bob, I really appreciate your detective work in finding it. Dan is going to send me the entire issue so I don't need you to copy any of it. If there is anything I can do for both of you let me know.

Steve

Tags: