News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who's going to be the first??  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Who's going to be the first??
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:39:59 PM »
Breaking off from another thread......

My "Challenge":

I want to see a Club/CD put on a contest next year with one extra class added.   It will only cost one more set of awards.

Run, concurrently with Classic, a new event.  (Choose 1 of the 2 listed below) 
1.  All pilots will fly at the same time. 

2.  Each pilot must only fly one event or the other.

Separate Score Board for each Class.

Choices:

1. "Super '70s"-  Planes from Jan.1, 1970 to Dec. 31, 1979 (same eligibility rules as PAMPA Classic)

2. "Nostalgia"- The original rules for what we now call Classic, i.e.;  a 25 year cutoff date.

No time is added to the overall meet time to run this event, no more judges are necessary.  All pilots in both classes fly in front of the same judges, at the same time, in random order.  No one can fly in both.  Score will just be separated at the Score Boards.

Now, what's so hard about that??  Everyone gets what they want!

I'm serious!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Who's going to be the first??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
Bill...there's gonna be a helluva line tangle, with everybody flying at the same time. The Judges will be really busy, too.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Frank's alter made me do it!  VD~ But I kinda like the concept. I'll bring it up at the Board Meeting.... H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
Bill...there's gonna be a helluva line tangle, with everybody flying at the same time. The Judges will be really busy, too.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Frank's alter made me do it!  VD~ But I kinda like the concept. I'll bring it up at the Board Meeting.... H^^ Steve

LL~ LL~ LL~ **) **) **)

Yeah, I guess my sentence structure wasn't very good there! **)

Hmmmmmm............ maybe- "All will fly in a *combined* class"... ??

This *could* (IMHO) get some more people flying in a class other than PAMPA, especially Intermediate and Advanced.  Those flyers could use a '70s plane (example: Stiletto??) for both PAMPA and "Super '70s" and it would be "Nostalgic" for many of them since they were maybe not around in the '60s.  And the more flights you can get in (in front of judges) the quicker you move up, usually!  Having one plane for both is a definite added advantage.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
Bill, I'm glad to see you make this challenge. We've talked about this for years now, even had several make the same, or very similar proposal, but no one acted on it. It's such a simple and elegant solution, I really hope some one, some club or group, will take it on. I believe in a few years it would be very well established.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:17:40 PM »
HI Bill

Yes I have heard that idea before Bob Hunt came up with that quite a while back , and
NOPE  they don't get what they want, I have spoke with right at a hundred people about this and the VAST majority really like it when NEW planes come into CLASSIC.  I think I would have a very hard time telling Les McDonald  that his  37 year old Stiletto and  Tropicair is  not a  classic  airplane.
I would say the same  about Lew McFarlands 35 year old AkroMasters, and  many others out there.
Just because someone wasn't born earlier or got into the hobby sooner that does not change what Classic is.
We are talking about soon to be  39 year old airplanes that some do not want to say are Classic ships.
If A 38 year old design is not Classic  I don't know what is. Many many things such as guitars ,Cars, real airplanes are Classics at 25 to 30 years old.

I have also spoke with many that run contest and  they  DO NOT want to buy another set of trophies, make other score sheets and keep up with whatever else is required to run another event, even if it is ran with another.

What is wrong with letting the members\ flyers decide what they would prefer to have as Classic ships and hear everyones thoughts?
If some people had their way no one would have any say in this.
The beauty of the Classic event as It was written and ran was that new planes come into being able to be built every year. That was one of the  biggest appeals to many flyers. 

I say have a reasoned calm discussion about it and decide just what the majority of people want.

Randy

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »
Hi Randy,

Yes, you're right. It would be nice to go back to the original concept, but it isn't going to happen with out something else, like this challenge occurring first.

We all hashed this out several years ago, and more than once, but the last opinions expressed on the idea were, to paraphrase a little. "Well, try it out, and if it works, or is accepted, we'll consider the idea."

No one has picked up on the idea yet.

There's no reason why a group cannot have Classic at their contest with a rolling cut off date. All they have to do is spell it out in the contest notice. No one yet....

So at least Bills challenge might make someone try something to get the ball moving.

I agree with you that the fears about cookie cutter designs, or more modern designs pushing out the older classics is not really an issue. I also agree that a lot of good classic designs are out there, later designs as you've mentioned, but since there's no special venue for them to compete in, they're not being built and flown.

Having new ships show up at a classic contest is, and I hope, always should be, something to look forward to each year.

Last year, Gordy and I built a pair of All American Eagles for VSC. I have no qualms about flying mine in PAMPA classes. With a good, modern, power plant, it'll fly well enough for me to look respectable in my class, flying against modern designs. I would expect that it would do just as well against any other designs that might show up at an expanded Classic venue. I believe that many, if not most, other good currently, Classic designs will do about as well, so fear of the older designs being displaced is whooey, IMNSHO.

The challenge, is to get someone to start the ball rolling. If it works, perhaps then, we can have the vote you, and others, including myself, would like to see.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »
It's just a bit late to have this added to our Sept. contest, but maybe we could get it approved for the Stunt-a-thon, next June. It would probably require getting Paul Walker, Howard Rush, John Leidle, Mike Haverly, Jimmy Johnson, and Randy Powell to show up at a club meeting, to vote for it.  y1  S?P  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
It's just a bit late to have this added to our Sept. contest, but maybe we could get it approved for the Stunt-a-thon, next June. It would probably require getting Paul Walker, Howard Rush, John Leidle, Mike Haverly, Jimmy Johnson, and Randy Powell to show up at a club meeting, to vote for it.  y1  S?P  LL~ Steve

Hi Steve,

It would be a good thing if you could get them all together. I suggest "Super, or Golden Classic for an event name.

Now, if the fellows running the NW Regionals would come on board,,,,, Sweeet.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
Locally, if the Northwest Regionals organizers said: Next year we will be changing the design cutoff date in Classic to say, what, 1974 or 72 or whatever for the Regionals, I'd certainly have a few planes I'd look at building. But I doubt that will happen and so, I'll probably look at fixing and refinishing my Novi.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:07:53 AM »
Hi All,

My "Challenge" is simply (like John said!) to spur some action in this area.  Waiting on a PAMPA authorized change might take some time, maybe even a LONG time (like never??).  So running the event AS PART OF the Classic event is a "no-brainer" to me, as far as seeing how people REALLY respond.  Tom Dixon has done this for a few years now, but the last time I coud attend a contest down in Marietta, there wasn't a plane from the era enterred that I remember.  They were all still "Classic" rules planes.

And from my pointof view, it is a way to get (especially) more entrants flying inthe "Classic" (present event name) event.  They can build a plane to use in Classic AND PAMPA that is fairly modern, yet with int he proposed event.  Less time to adjust to different planes and more time in front of judges.

A "Tropicaire" would fit right in!  AS well as a Genesis MKIII (46), A Stunt Machine, and on and on...........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here