News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM Grey Ghost  (Read 5027 times)

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
RSM Grey Ghost
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:40:37 AM »
Recommend a good engine for the Scarinzi Grey Ghost built from the RSM kit.

Retired Army

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: RSM Grey Ghost
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »
Boring but valid answer--  LA46.
AMA 34849

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »
Boring but valid answer--  LA46.

I have the plans for this plane. If I remember correctly the nose is short. I considered this one myself, so my answer is based on whether getting a commercially available hard tank to fit will work easily. A clunker will fit and yes the LA will do the job nicely IMO.

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:35 AM »
LA46 sounds good.  I have one.  Thanks
Retired Army

Offline steve bittner

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
Recommend a good engine for the Scarinzi Grey Ghost built from the RSM kit.

Larry used a hot Johnson 35 and had to back it down as it was to fast. Unless you build it heavy which would be hard to do with the way the plane is constructed, a 46 is way over kill along with the extra weight will kill the performance. The plane has to be light to fly well without flaps. The plane was designed if I remember correctly with a 3.5 oz tank back before they added the extra laps in the pattern, so 4 oz can go in and have enough fuel. You could always give Larry Scarinzi a call, he is in NJ.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »
A friend of mine built one and did it as a I beam. It looked just like the original from the outside but was much easier to build. He used a Fox 35 and it was plenty of power. I flew it and it was easy to fly on 60ft lines. He also built Larrys Sky Devil as a Ibeam. The Grey Ghost and the Sky Devil are very similar with the GG being larger of the two.
 Dave was a master at clear silk and his Sky Devil is on the left in the picture.
Ed ;D
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
Fox 35?  Hey, I only have about 10 of them.  I would be glad to try that engine on this plane.  I do build light.
Retired Army

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
Was just reading the article by Larry Scarinzi about his Grey Ghost.  His power solution was a Johnson 35 Stunt.  So there is the answer on power.  His ship came in at 34 ounces all up.  So my challenge is to match his build weight.  I can do it.
Retired Army

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
Since I posted the picture of the Sky Devil above and someone wanted plans I will show you one I built a long time ago. Rebecca holding Sky Devil from 1956 FM. It is a little smaller than the Grey Ghost
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
I saw Larry fly the Grey Ghost at the last Perth Amboy, NJ contest at Seagull field in around 1958. This was the first contest I attended and I was mesmerized by this ship. Larry flew pretty fast and very hard corners, it was blazing, mind blowing. I think the Fox will be a little light on power for what this ship needs (although it would work great for the Sky Devil). An AeroTiger 36 would do the trick with a 10x4 would do it.  One trick they used back in the day was slightly longer lines (like 65') and let the ship fly at the speed it likes but it give you some time to keep up with it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here