News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WC Stilleto  (Read 2103 times)

Offline dirkvz

• U-control in the Netherlands
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
WC Stilleto
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:31:21 AM »
Hi guys,

anybody out there know where I could find some plans for Les McDonald's WC Stilleto ?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: WC Stilleto
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:17:42 AM »
Hi guys,

anybody out there know where I could find some plans for Les McDonald's WC Stilleto ?

IIRC, those are available from the AMA plans service along with the article.  I have the lpans and I *think* that is where they came from. 

BTW:  It is not Classic Legal.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dirkvz

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »
Thanks Bill,

I'm just getting back into c/l stunt after a pause of 30 years. Been flying r/c but needed to get back to my "roots".
I saw Les win the WC in Utrecht, the Netherlands during the 70's and after meeting him in a hobby shop in Miami where he used to work and where he also had the Stiletto on display, I always had a soft spot for this model.

Hope I can get the plans and built it in the near future.
If there are any pictures of the Stiletto please post some.

Dirk

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:07:21 PM »
>>BTW:  It is not Classic Legal.<<

Yea, but it's cool, though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
Hi Randy,

Itr is going to be legal for Nostalgia '79 at Hunterville next year!  And it's been legal in Nostalgia n Marietta for several years now.

I also remember Danny Banjock flying one (excellently, BTW) in PAMPA years ago.

Anyone verify Model Aviation as the source of the article/plans??  I just cannot remember where mine came from. (they are at home, I am not! LL~ )
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »

Anyone verify Model Aviation as the source of the article/plans??  I just cannot remember where mine came from. (they are at home, I am not!

Yes. The article and plans are from Model Aviation, July 1977.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
Is the Stiletto 660 pre 1979?
Steve

Offline dirkvz

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for the responses.

What modern day engine would suit the Stiletto best ?

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have a few questions on the Stiletto's. The Model Aviation article was for the D-tube wing airplane that won the World Championships in 1976. I have included pictures of this 660 version from the 1977 FAI team trials.

Les later built an I-beam wing in an attempt to reduce weight. The photo's above are of this airplane.

Questions for everybody (and especially Randy Smith):

1. Are there differences in demension specifications between the D-tube 660 and the I-beam wing Stiletto?

2. What year was the I-Beam Stiletto built?

3. Is there a source of plans for the I-beam Stiletto?
 I figured I would ask this one for everyones benefit.

Look forward to hearing Y'all's input.

Pat Robinson

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: WC Stiletto
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »
Pat He had a lot of versions of this thing. If you look close on the black and white one you can see the added clear tabs on the elevator. If you call him he will tell you all about it. I think that is the one I flew north of Orlando when he came to judge one of the central Florida meets around 1989. He flew my Juno and liked it better than the I beam Stiletto he had. I made a Bo-BO part way through the pattern and he really got on me because I didn't finish the flight but flew it out level. In the next round I did better and won advanced. Bill Rich won Expert and asked asked me when we were driving home "how come he flew your plane but wouldn't fly mine" I think Gene Martine told him to fly it. Pat I have the plans and you can have them if you want them. Is not Dixon's "Crystal "a Stiletto 660
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
Hi Ed,
It is interesting how many versions of Stiletto Les built. The pre-Tropicaire version that Randy Smith posted , the 35 version published in MAN, The Stiletto 700 in 1975. Then the Stiletto 660, I am not sure how many 660's he built, and then came the I-beam Stiletto, and again, I don't know how many of that type he built. I don't know about anything after the I-beams.
Stan Powell was doing engines for Les, and at flying sessions, he would sometimes mention Les and his planes to me, but time has faded those memories. 
I seem to vaguely remember Stan using clear tabs on the flaps or somwhere. Bill Little has posted about Les recommending that stab area should increased for anyone building a Stiletto. My kit Stiletto and the Stiletto 35 have fairly narrow high aspect tail shape. I wonder if a tail change is a part of Tom Dixon's plan version of the 660.

I have added pictures for the Stiletto 700 because it is rarely mentioned or seen in photos and it would be unfair to bring up a little shown design and not provide pictures.
Ed,I could be wrong, but I remember the "700" having a deeper fuselage than the 660, so, it might be a good canidate to retrofit a pipe setup. Ed, do you remember seeing this plane? What do you think? Again, I'm not sure about finding plans for the 700. The ST 46 was not enough engine for this airplane but I bet a PA 51 on pipe would make this airplane come alive.
Just a thought.  ;D

Ed I would be most happy to get any Stiletto plans you may offer, as I love all the versions of this airplane.  ;D #^ ;D

Ed, thanks for your interesting first hand story. Les and I judged Bob Hunt at the King Orange the year before Bob won the World Championships and Les did have a good critical judges eye, but Bob was truly "in the zone" that day and scored quite well.

Ed, you are a fount of information, I did not know that Bob Dixon's great flying Crystal may be based on 660 specs. Ya learn something everyday.

Ed thanks for your interesting input  - "AS USUAL" - Thanks.

Pat Robinson

Offline dirkvz

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 02:35:19 AM »

Thanks again Ed & pat for the great info. there is so much history in all these great designs, it's unbelievable !

Ed could I also get a plan for this version from you. If so, please let me know cost & postage to the Netherlands.

Keep the info and stories coming guy's it's great fun to read, and I'm sure it brings back a lot of great memories to all who have been in this sport so long.

Dirk

Offline dirkvz

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 02:38:54 AM »
By the way, does anybody know where or how Les can be reached ?
Last time I saw him was in the mid-90's at Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami where he was working, but that shop has been closed for a while now.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »
Hi Ed,
It is interesting how many versions of Stiletto Les built. The pre-Tropicaire version that Randy Smith posted , the 35 version published in MAN, The Stiletto 700 in 1975. Then the Stiletto 660, I am not sure how many 660's he built, and then came the I-beam Stiletto, and again, I don't know how many of that type he built. I don't know about anything after the I-beams.
Stan Powell was doing engines for Les, and at flying sessions, he would sometimes mention Les and his planes to me, but time has faded those memories. 
I seem to vaguely remember Stan using clear tabs on the flaps or somwhere. Bill Little has posted about Les recommending that stab area should increased for anyone building a Stiletto. My kit Stiletto and the Stiletto 35 have fairly narrow high aspect tail shape. I wonder if a tail change is a part of Tom Dixon's plan version of the 660.

I have added pictures for the Stiletto 700 because it is rarely mentioned or seen in photos and it would be unfair to bring up a little shown design and not provide pictures.
Ed,I could be wrong, but I remember the "700" having a deeper fuselage than the 660, so, it might be a good canidate to retrofit a pipe setup. Ed, do you remember seeing this plane? What do you think? Again, I'm not sure about finding plans for the 700. The ST 46 was not enough engine for this airplane but I bet a PA 51 on pipe would make this airplane come alive.
Just a thought.  ;D

Ed I would be most happy to get any Stiletto plans you may offer, as I love all the versions of this airplane.  ;D #^ ;D

Ed, thanks for your interesting first hand story. Les and I judged Bob Hunt at the King Orange the year before Bob won the World Championships and Les did have a good critical judges eye, but Bob was truly "in the zone" that day and scored quite well.

Ed, you are a fount of information, I did not know that Bob Dixon's great flying Crystal may be based on 660 specs. Ya learn something everyday.

Ed thanks for your interesting input  - "AS USUAL" - Thanks.

Pat Robinson

Hi Pat , All

The later I beam versions were smaller than the 660. I would need to check with Les but I think they were about  625 sq in
The 700  Stilleto  was maybe the most impressive looking plane les built in flight, It indeed was much larger in the fuse than the 660,
And was very impressive going thru the manouvers.
Les's  planes were way cool and the  finish was alway spectacular, his planes were alway glass like in the apperrance  of the  finish, nobody rubbed out and made "shine" any better than Les.
There are no plans for the 700 Stilleto, maybe later there will be. Les used a ST 46 in the 1975 Version he flew to 2nd place at the  75 NATs. It was unfortunate but a leadout broke in practice  and did a lot of damage.

Regards
Randy

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:21:50 AM »
Thanks Randy,

I vaguely remember Stan Powell telling me that the I-beam plane had a little higher aspect ratio wing than the others which would help account for the smaller wing area. ( I could be wrong about that memory, after all these years) I also think that the smaller plane might have been a better match to the K&B 40 power, that Les was using.

Randy, could you imagine a Stiletto 700 retro-fitted with a PA 51-61 with your pipe setup in that deeper fuselage. Man, that should be some sweet ride for guys who love the Stiletto!!  ;D y1 #^ ;D y1 #^
Power appeared to be an issue with the ST 46, that prompted a move to the 660 size plane, but your setup should make the "700" really come alive, by giving it the power it really needs. What do you think?

I agree, that Les's Stiletto's were always Cool ,eye-catching, drop-dead beautiful airplanes, with a great finish.

Randy, You are one of the "go-to guys" for Stiletto information and I thought you might have some information about these different airplane's specifications.  This is interesting.

Maybe I need to call Les and consider writing up a "Stiletto History" as "verified' by Les. There still seems to be a lot of interest in the subject here on the forum , but there also seems to be some gaps of information, out there in general knowledge of modelers today, like the rarely mentioned "700" version, that I posted pictures on.

Randy, The Stiletto XL plans, that you and Tom Dixon sell, do they include the larger tail That Bill Little said that Les recommends for the 660?

If the "Nostalgia 79" event catches on, at more southeast contests ,then there may be a resurgence of Stiletto's showing up at flying fields here in the southeastern US.

Randy,  I appreciate your usual insightful input , thank you so much!

Pat Robinson

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »
Guys  My Juno that I was flying in the late 80's was almost the same size as the smaller I beam Stiletto. My Juno was a long way from stock.I never built one totally stock. I bought a used I/beam 35 Stiletto at Jacksonville around 1980. I believe I gave it to Bill Whitson who sadly is no longer with us. Since we are talking about old models. Who and what is this I/beam? I think it is a variant of the Stiletto. I took this picture at a contest I put on in Dunedin Fl in the early 70's notice the low AMA number.
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here