News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trident  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Brad Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Trident
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
Anyone here built or flown a Trident ?
Brad smith AMA780054

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trident
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »
Anyone here built or flown a Trident ?
If that was the "Name that Plane" thing that Larry Scarenzi designed in the early 60's then I built one somewhere around 1962-3.  What I remember about it was that it didn't turn rotate around the tail like my Noblers did.  No idea what happened to it.  Still love the design.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:21:07 AM »
A few years ago we got Larry to bring the Trident to a club meeting.  The finish is very well preserved and the plane feels very light compared to what we call normal.  Not too shabby for a guy with a paintbrush!!  TS

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
Wasn't initially called "U-Name-It"?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
I think Big Art Adimisin had one at VSC years ago. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
LS  with the Trident!!

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
One more

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
Wasn't initially called "U-Name-It"?

Yeah, I believe it was originally the "U-Name-It," and didn't Betty Adamisin win the contest that the kit maker had for naming it with the "Trident" name. There have been a few at VSC over the years, and it was discussed at the banquet at one of them. I love the design, just don't know how long all those sharp points would last around my house! Kind of like the Belfry Bound design with the wicked wing tips!  Neat seeing Larry's original. When I grow up I wanna be just like Larry!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »
   When I grow up I wanna be just like Larry!

Grow up ...why?
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 06:28:32 AM »
     Yeah, I believe it was originally the "U-Name-It," and didn't Betty Adamisin win the contest that the kit maker had for naming it with the "Trident" name. There have been a few at VSC over the years, and it was discussed at the banquet at one of them. I love the design, just don't know how long all those sharp points would last around my house! Kind of like the Belfry Bound design with the wicked wing tips!  Neat seeing Larry's original. When I grow up I wanna be just like Larry!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Big Art did build one back then and entered the contest with the name Cygnus (pretty sure that's the correct spelling). Perhaps it was Betty who came up with the Cygnus name, but they were not the ones who came up with the name Trident. Don't recall who actually won the "Name the Plane" contest, but it was certainly a fitting name, "Trident!"

I interviewed Larry on video at his home back around 1995, and we went over his entire history, including all his published planes. We spent quite a bit of time on both the Trident and the Blue Angel. That interview was on one of my Stunt Flyer Video Magazine issues, and it is still available on DVD. See the Robin's View Production site in Vendors Corner for more info on that DVD.

I can tell you this: All of Larry's stunt models still to this day look virtually brand new. They are all beautiful!

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 09:02:13 AM »
OK, Here's a little more. Just spoke to LS and remembered to ask about the contest.  His memory is that a customer at John Miske's (Father of OTS) hobby shop won the prize. Larry got to meet him at the shop where he received the prize which he remembered as a Trident kit and a Fox .35. Could not remember the name. Fair enough!   TS

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »
the first plane I scratch built as a JR was Larry's Greased Lightning from the mag plans with a K&B 35 .man did it go.

the plane we used to win the Brodak junk yard wars last year was as G/L made out of plasti board. didn't quite fly like the original  LL~
rad racer

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »
I never saw the plane in person but at almost 60 years old it still looks like a first row airplane. I would also bet it's feather light. Larry was a remarkable craftsman.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
Mom entered the "U-Name-It" contest, her entry was Cygnus.  Got 2nd place and a kit.  Of course dad got it assembled quickly and of course named it Cygnus.  Many moons later (as Bob H mentioned) dad built a second one, this time for VSC.  He later sold it and after unknown stops in between it has ended up in John Brodak's collection.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 06:17:58 AM »
Mom entered the "U-Name-It" contest, her entry was Cygnus.  Got 2nd place and a kit.  Of course dad got it assembled quickly and of course named it Cygnus.  Many moons later (as Bob H mentioned) dad built a second one, this time for VSC.  He later sold it and after unknown stops in between it has ended up in John Brodak's collection.

Hi Dennis;
   Thanks for filling in the blanks! I was pretty sure your Mom was involved in some way. I was thinking this was discussed at one of the last VSC banquets that was held in the small room at the Roadway Inn, and possibly the one where Bob Palmer gave a talk on his career working at Lockheed. I miss those banquets the most! There were video cameras there set up and running, so maybe some one has it. Chris McMillin talked me into going to VSC in the early 90's and I'm so glad he did, as that is when I started to get to meet some of the great legends like your Mom and Dad, Bob Gialdini, Bob Palmer, Ed Southwick, George Aldrich and the list goes on from there.  I would love to build a Trident or "Cygnus" but as I mentioned I couldn't take care of those sharp points on the tail of the airplane.  Can you tell us what the significance of the name "Cygnus " is?

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »
Hi Dan
Dad had a telescope back then and was learning all the constellations - which included Cygnus the swan (greek).  As part of the contest entry they painted the stylized letters on a card stock sheet - dark blue on medium blue.

Those points on the back or the rudders always got in the way when putting the bird in the car!  In flight those points really look good when you do a good maneuver - but not so good  if you make some mistakes.  Still I would like to build one someday too.  I am amazed at how good Larry's original still looks.

THANKS also for sharing your story of VSC.  I still have not made that trip...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 11:35:25 AM »
Dennis you need to make that a priority to get to VSC.  Great people and great area.  I hope to get back there again, if only to visit. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Just to add a little history to this discussion I have a Trident kit picked it up at a major auction house auction last year. This must have been the first run of kits because it really had no name. What Consolidated called it was SUPER STUNT SHIP built and flown by Larry Scarinzi. The box is ripped and water stained the plans are brown and ripped at the seams.I went over the contents and all the parts are there even the hardware, a plus is the canopy is still clear. Some of the balsa is heavy wood and there is a lot of blocks and carving to be done on this ship but all the parts are there. I tried to post pictures from my phone but it didn't work for me if I can get help from my neighbor I will post them later.
Dennis Warchol

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
A little more "Trident trivia".
When Larry contracted with Consolidated to do the kit, they asked for a picture of the model for the magazine announcement of the "U-Name -It" contest.
 The late Bud Weider got a call from Larry and a photo of the aircraft was shot- held by a lovely young lady who just happened to be Bud's high school prom date !

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here