News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
Hi y'all,

The Trophy Trainer is a double duty possibility.  Classic and Profile legal.

Anyone have any comments on this bird??  I have never seen one in person, so I would welcome comments on how it flies, engine recommendations, etc., and just general comments! ;D

Thanks!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Tom Warden's Trophy Trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Hi Bill. Go to Walter Umlands site. He has photos of his proof model and some of mine under construction.  I am going "heavy" on the carbon fiber to keep things stiff. More than one porfile could use this stuff.

Hi Ty,

Seen the pictures, have the plans, need to know if anyone has FLOWN one?????
Sounds like an OS 35S size plane from your other comments........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
 I've been told that Tom used a ST.46, on his original.

Walter ???
walter menges

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:25:53 PM »
I've been told that Tom used a ST.46, on his original.

Walter ???

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I better look at my plans, again! **) **) **)

I do have some G 21-46s around here, so........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »
I have a new ENYA 40 plain bearing in mine and it is having no problems with the model so far.
When I compare it to the Nobler I'm building now it looks like a lot of airplane for a 35 of any ilk.

I'm trimming it at the moment, and as well as being a beginner I guess I'm not really qualified to discuss it's flying characteristics, but for what it's worth my one flies like it's on rails - as a beginner I'm happy flying inverted at shoulder height with it, it's that steady. I've been flying 25/29 sized models up to now, so that's all I've got to compare it with.

It's balanced right on the CG shown in the plan and with minimum movment (top flap horn) and 1:1 flap elevator the turn has been responsive enough to get me out of trouble a few times already. I've got about 6 flights on it so far, the first three or 4 were sorting out the engine settings - So far a Zinger 11 x 5 looks like the best match to my engine in this model.

BC is a SIG 4 inch, with the outer pushrod hole being used.

Off the board the only adjustment I've made is to the leadout position and the handle spacing. My flying buddy is amazed at how well it flies, he's also quite impressed with the plain bearing ENYA, I've got about 60 mins running time on it so far and it's starting well in the cold and damp we've had here lately.

He ordered the plans on a whim - to see what the model looked like really, and showed them to me. I built it because I thought it'd be an easy build (it was) to move up to 40 sized ships.

The only gripe I've got is that the undercarriage is a bit far back for my really rough flying surface and nose overs have accompanied every landing so far - but believe me, my flying site is ROUGH - long grass, with only a short strip of short grass - for takeoff.

I can't tell you the weight, because I haven't weighed it.

Last Sunday wasn't a great day for trimming - see the "Really Frigid Digit" thread in the general discussion area and you'll see a few photos of my Trophy.

It was bit blustery the previous Sunday, and it handled the wind quite well.

I'm well pleased with my Trophy, what more can I say?

IRL-1638

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
I've flown one, but it's been a very long time ago. Built from the original kit with foam wings, it used a K&B Greenhead Torp screaming it guts out on a Top Flight 10x5 prop
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:05 AM »
I put 5 or six more flights on mine today and it's coming together nicely. I'd guess I have the leadouts to within 1/8 of their final position as I now have almost enough overhead line tension for my skill level.

As it stands this model is making my dodgy hourglass look good and it inspiring the confidence I need to make it to my first competition.

The last of the trim changes today were to change the prop from Zinger 11 x 5 to Master 10 x 6 - I didn't have a Zinger 10 x 6 in my flight kit, but that's what it'll fly next with.

Off the board the only trimming I've done has been to change props and move the leadouts, so I'm happy with both the build (must be getting better at it - mostly from practice and advice from this forum) and the design - the constant chord wing does make construction easier.

My motor is new and I've been having some inconsistent runs, which have always disappeared by blowing out the needle. It seems to me that the problem here was that I was running the new motor on pressure and some of the crud from the break in was finding it's way back into the tank. Last few flights were on atmospheric pressure and were spot on.

I've stalled it a few times when I overcook my outside square corners (I don't seem to overcook the inside squares) and it has recovered well - regained enough airspeed to stall it again on the next corner.

I'm tempted to build another, but I'm running out of storage space, so my next models will all have to be 2+ piece models.
IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:23:36 AM »
Final update.

I re-engined with a Enya 45 plain bearing, and with an 11 x 6 it is the airplane for me.

I found that the 40 I had in it was just working too hard and that on take off it took a few yards in the air to get comfortable airspeed, also the 40 would sag a little after hard corners.

Both of these problems disappeared once I put the 45 in. After starting the motor it's like a thoroughbred waiting for the take off, and no motor sag no matter how hard I corner. No tweaks ot the tank or anything like that, just dropped the motor in.

I've also put quite a bit of tip weight in since my early flights. This is one nice airplane.javascript:void(0);
Cool
IRL-1638

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:36:30 AM »
Hi Cool, (E11638) - Interested to know which Enya 45 you are using. 6001/lapped, 6001ringed, or 6002?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 06:21:54 AM »
Hi Rustler,

I can't give you the model number, because it's borrowed from my flying buddy.

It is ringed and is fairly new, as in less than 2 years old. Our Enya supplier (www.clubtamaran.com) lists it as ENYA SS45 Ring S-PL PRO. It's on it's second ring, the original ring died in an unexpected landing some months back....

It'll be another week or so before my postman brings me my very own ENYA SS45 Ring S-PL PRO, so I won't be able to check the numbers until then (can't see the backplate in the plane)
IRL-1638

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:21:46 AM »
Well, as soon as the modeling budget climbs back into the black ink section of the ledger, I will be getting a "short kit", of sorts, from a very nice board member!

Too many planes, not enough time! LOL!!  (or storage space!!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 01:53:24 AM »
Hi Rustler,
It is ringed and is fairly new, as in less than 2 years old.

G'day 11538. Thank you. 'Nuff said, it's a late model schneurle, one I hadn't considered. I know some folks do use them with success.

Reason for asking was I am going to put one of the ones I mentioned in a model and was interested to know someone else's experience.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 07:56:30 AM »
Enya 45 is case number 6301. It's been doing a very nice job hauling my Trophy around. Now if only the pilot ran as well as the motor......
IRL-1638

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here