News:

• May 10, 2024, 11:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the AVENGER ready for dope-- new pictures may 4  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
the AVENGER ready for dope-- new pictures may 4
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:37 PM »
Well, My thread for the Avenger I think was lost in the crash of 2008,, no not the stock market,
In any case,, this is the Don Shultz Avenger that I redrew the plans for. Had Pat Johnston laser cut the parts for me and finally after a long winter of kids sports, and a myriad of other interuptions, I finally have it ready to slather some dope upon its pretty bones. Just thought I would post some pictures of the bare bones since I know I like to look at naked plane pictures ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:45:23 PM by Mark Scarborough »
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
Re: the AVENGER ready for dope finally
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Very nice work Mark, I can't wait to see it when it's finished. I love to look at all those ribs uncovered!
Keith Bryant

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Looks good Mark.  I like the prop!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
BBBBBUUUUUTEEEFUL...MARK!!!
Looks awesome...I really like the engineered cowling  and wider fuselage sides to utilize those  BIGGINS POWERPLANT up front.
Hummm?
Why does "SHOW ME THE BEEF"slogan keeps comes to mind? n~)  that reminds me when I think back in those days and  how we used to try (often in vain) to squeeeeeeze every bit of power out of those old OS 35's and 40S's.
Most of the time in order to keep the weight down under 50 ounces and to keep ALIVE the look of  a sleek skinny format to the fuselage.....IT WAS VITAL AND IMPORTANT that we would STRIVE (often in vain) to meet the weight goal.... Many times all we had to do was simply boost up a little extra nitro)
The idea being that it would boost not only the power of those small engines, but equally important....that doing so...it would  keep us from increasing  the fuel volume weight of a 3.5 ounce tank to a BIG WHOPPIN 4ounce?  LL~
Last of all...keeping the smaller sized 35 & 40s would ALLOW ME TO USE LIGHTER WEIGHT .015 AND EQUALLY FAR AND AWAY MORE IMPORTANT...TO REDUCE THE OVER-ALL LINE DRAPE AND RESULTING AIR DRAG.

In the early 70's I took part on a 3 month study at the Wind Tunnel..with the avionics group who were conducting those loooooooooooooooooooooong thin wired communication and radio like antenna's that they would reel out for loooooooong distances behind those high flying "snoop-doggie" spy planes.

WHAT N' EYE BALL POPPIN AFFAIR THAT PROVED TO BE!!! :o
As model makers...
we were all blown away at just how much drag those thin wires...braces and struts actually EFFECTED  the aerodynamics of those light weight fiberglass covered foam antenna that contained all kinds of strange electronic goodies and guts...that were encased inside.

From that point forward, I became aware and always strived  to find as lightweight, thin, and small dia. wheels etc. that I could get away with....to avoid any kind of drag from wheels or wheel pants that HANG DOWN IN THE BREEZE ON THESE LIGHT WEIGH STUNT MODELS.
OK! NOW FOR THE K WORD...
After years of Kite flying competiton...you soon become FULLY AWARE just how important keeping line dia. and control line weight and dia. to A BARE MINIMUM...

ESPECIALLY on those 4 to 6 ounce light wind sportkites that are designed and built to fly in virtually 0 wind to a max of around 7 mph...on lighter weight 35 to 50 lb. spectra line and JUST HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS to use as short a set of lines as possible in these light no wind conditions.
For example....You can turn the finest most carefully designed trimed and tweaked light weight no wind kite into a WORTHLESS DOG!
Simply by using over-sized standard 90lb. 125 ft. spectra....instead of the lighter weight and shorter 85 foot 35 to 50lb. line. (Line stretch is not a factor what so ever....if the sport kite...(OR STUNT MODEL WEIGHT IS KEPT IN CHECK!)
Mark and gang!
This drivil...doesn't amount to a hill of beanie-weenies...since today our worlds best CLPA flyers are going for THOSE POWERFUL  LARGER SIZED ENGINES (with their large fuel loads and ELECTRIC MOTORS...with those lofty sized batteries) and if the CLPA planes are heavy enough....
Proof enough....that as long as we have enough sq. inches and enough power...SUCCESS IS NOT ONLY POSSIBLE...IT IS A NEW CLPA FACT OF LIFE!
It still boggles my mind and britches....when I see just how beautifully these new breed of CLPA models fly the pattern...
AS LONG AS YOUR ARMS AND BACK N' LEGS DON'T GIVE OUT! LL~ LL~
SUCCESS I NOT ONLY POSSIBLE...BUT ASSURED~ S?P :! LL~

Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:40 PM »
Can I bring Schultzie over and launch the first flights? At TRAC, maybe????? Seriously? June or July?  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »
Gents, thankks for the kind words, I weighed it and I have a 11 oounce finishing budget to make my target.. should know in a few weeks right?

Steve,
SHHHHH
Im trying for Eugene,,, in May,,,, Time will tell, momentum has been a hard thing to come by,,

Shultzie,,,
what can I say, thanks for the words,, I have kind of turned into a power addict. After my Oriental with the LA46, well, see what happens,, it corrupts you into doing something like this,,  #^

Crist,
wondered if you would catch the prop!  8)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:13:13 AM »
Looks great Mark.  Keep us posted!! H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »

Shultzie,,,
what can I say, thanks for the words,, I have kind of turned into a power addict. After my Oriental with the LA46, well, see what happens,, it corrupts you into doing something like this,,  #^

Mark..
Disregard all my rant about having too much power....history has proven that many great flying designs of the past, were truly in NEED OF MORE POWER.
Sounds like you are pretty RIGHT ON THE $$$ in keeping that beautiful model weight in check and is a tribute to your model building skills...and with your professionally honed paint and finishing knowledge and talent.
This NEW AGE AVENGER...truly is going to be a beautiful and successful example of what CLASSIC is all about.

Gads...that new Classical model of yours....Mark....brings back so many great memories of times, places and most importantly of all ...the FACES of so many modeling friends and peers.

Also a little sobering to see so many of these classical designs were designed by peers gone waaay too soon.
TBTG that  so many of us ol stunt-grunts..many of these FACES are still with us to see the *NEW DIRECTIONS* and pathways you new and younger gang of CLPA rrrrr's' are taking the sport.
Looking forward to seeing this Avenger in flight again and try to remember....as you know pertains to the paint and finishing stages of a stunt model....those lofty words,

"YA CAN'T RUSH CREATIVITY!" (or can you?) LL~ LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Now that the Donaldo the POOBA has checked in it is safe for us mere mortals. 

I beleive the operative word is out-freaking-standing!

I also like the prop, next time I hope you Xoar to a new powerplant too!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
Now that the Donaldo the POOBA has checked in it is safe for us mere mortals. 

I beleive the operative word is out-freaking-standing!

I also like the prop, next time I hope you Xoar to a new powerplant too!

WOW! DENNIS!!! LL~ LL~ H^^  "OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING!" Seems exactly the expression that I was seekin and freekin for...when I saw just how beautiful Mark's new re-creation is becoming.

I'm headed for Vegas...for my son's wedding tomorrow. (Dennis...he has gone strickly R/C and Electrics~  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
Last of all...keeping the smaller sized 35 & 40s would ALLOW ME TO USE LIGHTER WEIGHT .015 AND EQUALLY FAR AND AWAY MORE IMPORTANT...TO REDUCE THE OVER-ALL LINE DRAPE AND RESULTING AIR DRAG.

In the early 70's I took part on a 3 month study at the Wind Tunnel..with the avionics group who were conducting those loooooooooooooooooooooong thin wired communication and radio like antenna's that they would reel out for loooooooong distances behind those high flying "snoop-doggie" spy planes.

WHAT N' EYE BALL POPPIN AFFAIR THAT PROVED TO BE!!! :o

As model makers...
we were all blown away at just how much drag those thin wires...braces and struts actually EFFECTED  the aerodynamics of those light weight fiberglass covered foam antenna that contained all kinds of strange electronic goodies and guts...that were encased inside.

From that point forward, I became aware and always strived  to find as lightweight, thin, and small dia. wheels etc. that I could get away with....to avoid any kind of drag from wheels or wheel pants that HANG DOWN IN THE BREEZE ON THESE LIGHT WEIGH STUNT MODELS.
OK! NOW FOR THE K WORD...
After years of Kite flying competiton...you soon become FULLY AWARE just how important keeping line dia. and control line weight and dia. to A BARE MINIMUM...

ESPECIALLY on those 4 to 6 ounce light wind sportkites that are designed and built to fly in virtually 0 wind to a max of around 7 mph...on lighter weight 35 to 50 lb. spectra line and JUST HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS to use as short a set of lines as possible in these light no wind conditions.
For example....You can turn the finest most carefully designed trimmed and tweaked light weight no wind kite into a WORTHLESS DOG!
Simply by using over-sized standard 90lb. 125 ft. spectra....instead of the lighter weight and shorter 85 foot 35 to 50lb. line. (Line stretch is not a factor what so ever....if the sport kite...(OR STUNT MODEL WEIGHT IS KEPT IN CHECK!)

SUCCESS I NOT ONLY POSSIBLE...BUT ASSURED~ S?P :! LL~

Attached is one of my retirement drawings that illustrates what happened to one FAILED flight test in which one of our model shop produced foam probes lost a couple of fins.....and had to be ejected to save the vertical fin of the tow plane.
The mile long thin multi strand cable was retracted without harm....but the PROBE LANDED ONTO THE HOOD OF A CADDY sitting out in front of a home near LAKE WOOD!
The police were called...and from there THINGS ECALATED' INTO A UFO INVESTIGATION...until it was traced to our Boeing wind tunnel project!
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Don,
that extra power covers a lot of sins,, ( if they need covering) like missing the wind a little bit, or flying IN the wind, man that extra power just helps you blast through.
It is pretty comforting for pilots that have occasion to get a little excited and yank the corners tighter than needed! My Oriental saved my bacon a couple times by just blasting through. Have fun at  your wedding,, maybe if you tied some cables to the wing of one of them thar RC things your son would be corrupted enough to play control line?

Dennis,
I actually had contemplated going that route on this one,, especially since I could have kept the nose so svelte,,, but, well its a classic, and in these here parts some o' them judging dudes are pretty traditional,, well and its classic,, what can I say. BUT, I really dig the look and there may be something similar styled on the horizon designed for electric propulsion,,,only time will tell,,, Of course I also have the plans for the Avenger '76 and since its NOT classic,, its even a little meaner looking,, hmmm
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
Mark,

Seems you still need to finish the wheel skirts. The rest looks pretty good. Get on that dope brush!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
sheesh, Randy picky picky picky,, they are cut, I just have to solder the tabs on the struts, I am going simple, just a facia on the strut, not going to wrap around the whole wheel,,, wel thats what I am thinking now anyway. KISS KISL
Just put the first coat of dope on the airframe, now to make up fixtures to hold all the flaps, and hatch cover and stuff,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
So, you have it covered yet? The clock is ticking .....
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »
Don,
that extra power covers a lot of sins,, ( if they need covering) like missing the wind a little bit, or flying IN the wind, man that extra power just helps you blast through.
It is pretty comforting for pilots that have occasion to get a little excited and yank the corners tighter than needed! My Oriental saved my bacon a couple times by just blasting through. Have fun at  your wedding,, maybe if you tied some cables to the wing of one of them thar RC things your son would be corrupted enough to play control line?

Dennis,
I actually had contemplated going that route on this one,, especially since I could have kept the nose so svelte,,, but, well its a classic, and in these here parts some o' them judging dudes are pretty traditional,, well and its classic,, what can I say. BUT, I really dig the look and there may be something similar styled on the horizon designed for electric propulsion,,,only time will tell,,, Of course I also have the plans for the Avenger '76 and since its NOT classic,, its even a little meaner looking,, hmmm
Ya Shultzie, the LA 46 in the rebel was a real awakening. Got plans! HB~>

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
DUDE, give a guy a break,, there is a LOT of curves and corners and stuff. I finished getting silkspan on the fuse last night,, after a 450 mile roadtrip for work mind you! Its actually coming along nicely. Now to decide if I am going to use Polyspan, or silkspan before tonight. Its time to do the wings,, or I might stall and do the flaps, elevators and bits first,, yeah I am a chicken. Its a big step to try something new on this bird, I have so very much time invested, its scary to try a new thing,, but then you know about that dont you?

Then I may take it to bhe body shop this weekend if I get it all doped, and run it through a bake cycle in the booth,, ;) get some good dry time acceleration that way,, of course, to high of a temp could be a disaster too,, hmmmmm
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
Very NICE work  Mark!!   y1

Randy

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
THanks for the comments gentlemen,,
Well the weekend was productive, despite having to make a difficult decision about how to proceed. Thanks Randy for your input and giving me part of your sunday!
I got it all covered, the fuse is up to the point its ready for final sanding,, * I hope lol*
I covered the wings with Polyspan and got them doped up pretty well. It went very good considering this was my first attempt with Polyspan. Only a couple minor squabbles on the very end of the tips. The damning part was that after they were all doped up, I discovered to my horror that the polyspan does not add much in the way of rigidity to the wing! My wing is a pseudo I beam and it doesnt have much for tortional rigidity. After talking to randy, I decided to go for broke, I recovered the wings, over the polyspan, with silkspan and using a very thin mixture of mostly thinner and a drip of dope, I worked the dope up from the polyspan into the silkspan from underneath. It appears to have worked fairly well. The silkspan is at least partially filled ,, from underneath! and at this point I added 1.4 ounces as weighed this morning. The wings appear at least twice as rigid torsionally as they were before so that goal was acoomplished. I had room in my finishing budget to still be safe with a couple ounces extra. Now I have both benefits, the puncture resistance of the polyspan, and the rigidity of the silkspan.
I can see myself using the polyspan again, but only on a D tube wing.
Tonight , a light scuff and another coat of dope should see me pretty close on the wing, then it will dry while I finish up the flaps, and landing gear spats, hopefully to paint this weekend!
still have to decide exactly what I am doing paint wise,, I have a couple ideas,, hmm really need to spend a night getting my vinyl cutter up and running too,, guys, pray for rainouts  at the softball games for me ok?  VD~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
W-O-W!!

This plane is even P U R T Y E R than a MINADO and that's say'in a loooooot!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Oh, Exiled in Pullman, WA??  My sister is exiled somewhere in that area too?  I guess it is exile for a sun lover from Arizona!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
Thanks Jim
Pullman is in exile for anyone that flies control line,, my closest flying buddy is in Walla Walla that is about 120 miles away,, and he flies RC most of the time,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
What about us? We're your flying buddies.  :)

Glad it's working out.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Randy
well, that doesnt help, yeah your my flyin buddy, but your like what 350 miles away!
sheesh,,
I come over there all the time to fly,, whens the last time you came over HERE to fly,, yeah thats what I thought,, lol

mw~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Maybe I can find a horse event and then you can convince the wife to make the trip? Heck it may be closer from your house here than it is to Eugene ?

Regionals,, three weeks,, think I can get it done in time?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
Mark,

I'm not entirely sure I will make the Regionals. I hope to, but it may be just a day or something if I am able to come. But I'm going to try.

Hey, if you guys had a contest over there, I would think about coming.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: the AVENGER ready for dope finally new picts 4-4
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:06 PM »
seriously, I tried, I really tried,, aparantly my club isnt so interested in a contest after the last one we when we had such meager participation?
sorry to hear the regionals may be an out for you,, ,really a bummer dude,,,,guess Pat and I will have to hold up our contingent,,,

by the way, reweighed the bird tonight after gassing off all day, to this point, 1.4 oz for the additional layer, stillneed a coat of dope or so to finish filling, I am sanding now so I can recoat before bed,,,

Hey as an afterthought, using talc and dope for what little filler I needed on fuse,, do you use filler over the silkspan? or just clear dope?

a couple picts snapped while sanding is on a momentary hiatis,, ok so I went to have a smoke,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: the AVENGER ready for dope-- new pictures may 4
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
Mark,

Looks like you still have a couple of dry spots. I use talc (or whatever) and dope on open bays. Does take some sanding and you have to be careful not to cut through over the ribs and such, but with polyspan underneath, it may not be as much an issue.

Not sure about Eugene yet. We'll see.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
Mark, think Zinc.

The stuff is fabby.

Your plane looks great, keep after it, you can have it ready for the Regionals. #^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
Thanks Randy, John,,
I would like to try some Zinc Stearate, just dont have any, and time dictates the old standby talc,, this time.
I think I can make it for Regionals with her,, assuming only minor crisis arise between now and then!

John are you going to make it to Eugene?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Yep, me and the "Canvas Castle". Bring your air mattress, or folding cot, Mark.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »
 (PE**) CLP** HH%% BW@
Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeless...near Seattle!  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
Shultzie,,
its coming together bud,, if I make it by Eugene, you NEED to be there for its maiden competition flights!

;D
Randy,
those pictures were after I stuck the silkspan down, I have since added one more coat of dope and it looks pretty good, some sanding still, but I think the dry spots are all filled now. I guess tonight its time for fillets, then a coat of talk and dope. To this point the addition of the silkspan has added 1.45 ounces and the wing is as rigid as a D tube now. HUGE difference..... whew,, thanks again for your input

with any luck at all, I will be painting this weekend fingers crossed,, smile on me oh gods of all that is balsa and dope,,, n~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
>>...then a coat of talk and dope<<

Well, that explains a lot. How do you get it to stick?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
Its part of my gift of gab!
so then
Well first you have to ...........................
ok so fine smart alec,, sheesh,,,
got fillets on last night,, tonight is the fillet around the canopy, the air "scoop" and hopefully the tabs on the landing gear,,, man not sure I can make painting this weekend,, :(
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
Its part of my gift of gab!
so then
Well first you have to ...........................
ok so fine smart alec,, sheesh,,,
got fillets on last night,, tonight is the fillet around the canopy, the air "scoop" and hopefully the tabs on the landing gear,,, man not sure I can make painting this weekend,, :(
EZZZfor me to say...but!!!!

U CAN'T RUSH CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAATIVITY..OR CAN YOU?  LL~ H^^
(snapshot of last week's Wedding in Vegas...Limo compliments of my daughter and husband.
Picked us up at the airport...WOW!
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »
Yep,.,, agreed Shultzie,
Im not rushing at all,
I am working at a controlled frantic pace  %^@
actually, its really coming out nice, there are a couple things,, but all in all its the best effort to date,,,,,
of course paint and clear to follow may change that perspective ???

It will be tight, but I want to paint this weekend so I have more time to do piddly things like assemble the thing,, but, even if I dont make it this weekend, I should still be ok. I hope,, lol,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
Mark,

Just keep the paint scheme simple and you should make it fine ... for the Stunt-A-Thon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
Gee thanks Randy,, your SO very helpfull,
sheesh
with friends like you enemas,,
 HB~> LL~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
So Mark, are we there yet?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 12:40:33 PM »
WELLLL its like this,,
the first night I went to the shop to paint, I couldn't find where Kurt had hidden the sealer catalyst, or the mix ratio,, so that was a stalemate,, last night I got the sealer on it, tonight starts color coats after work. However, with the time line in mind,,,, the design has gotten simpler over the last couple days! I do have a couple things to nib down that showed up in the sealer, which is why I didnt start color last night, that and it being Jessicas 16 birthday,, so paint begins in earnest tonight. Oh and my new computer,, with wonderfull Vista,, which I actually like,, wont load the drivers for the vinyl cutter so I have to remount my old computer with XP and try to run it from there, sigh,, but I think it will make it still,,  ~^ after all sleep IS overrated,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 03:02:37 PM »
Vista? Whew, never tough the stuff. It's bad for your health.

I hope to see it at the Regionals. Or if not, the Stunt-A-Thon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »
Seeing Mark's post about the sealer reminded me of the problem I have now.  After about ten coats of dope and talc, sanding after every other coat, I put on a coat of clear dope and let the plane hang for a week.  I looked it all over to see if I missed anything.  Shot a coat of automotive seal coat grey on the plane.  Started sanding the next day.  I was disappointed in the outcome, so I shot a second coat.  Have sanded it down eye balling the stuff that is starting to show up.  Fixed a few more things and have put a coat of clear dope on top of it. 

I do not plan on shooting any more primer.  I am going with the white color coat and hope for the best.  Need someone to finish for me after I get the base coats on.  Will I still qualify for the 51% rule? LL~ LL~

Mark, hope to see your results soon.    DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »
Doc,
you say you were dissapointed, but you dont say what kind of problems you are having? maybe we can lend a virtual hand? some of the things I do make it much easier to remedy problems in process.

As for this plane ( sheesh I am going to sound like Randy here) It has some issues, but I am hoping that the really cool paint job will distract every one from the flaws.  :'(
but as Randy and I have said many times, a paint job is NEVER finished, its only abandoned. I had to make a choice, get it done for the regionals, or keep fiddling for another week and not have it ready. I would say its a 90% finish. it would take probably another week of messing around before I shot color to really make it right, and I just wasnt willing to miss the regionals. I shot color last night, and tonight I finish the color and clear. I will try to remember to take my camara and get some pictures on the paint stand for those interested. Then after it sits saturday to cure I will start the assembly on Sunday probably while I watch the All star race on the DVR.
so far the paint scheme has been a happy accident. I had an idea, and time cut me short so I went simpler. I actually like it better than I would have my original idea. Heck this plane I only changed my mind about the color scheme like 4 or 5 times,, thats not very many for me,,,,, HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
Mark,

That elliptical plane you have; I changed my mind four or five time while I was putting the trim on.

I hope you get it done. It's looking less and less like I will be there for it's maiden contest. Sigh...

Oh well, I'll be at the Stunt-a-Thon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 12:42:23 PM »
Sharp looking model, very nice :)
AMA 59633

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
So Mark, I know that life gets in the way, but any work at all on the Avenger?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
well,, Uh no actuallly,,but I want to get back on it . Hopefully this week I can get started. I have to get Jessica back on her build, so the bench will be tied up with that, and I can work on the Avenger on the paint stand.
and to think, I used to wonder why in the heck it took some people years to finish an airplane,, sigh,, so yeah ,now I know
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »
Hey, sometimes they goes fast and sometimes not.

Just like some days you're the bug and some days the windshield.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
Hey, sometimes they goes fast and sometimes not.

Just like some days you're the bug and some days the windshield.

Took me 6 months to finish my last moneycote job.  Take your time, get it right and that will make it go fast...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »
Took me 6 months to finish my last moneycote job.  Take your time, get it right and that will make it go fast...

Heck, it only took me around 5 years to finish my last paint job...........

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »
We wont even talk about my bf 109 stunt ship that is as I sit here, behind me on the wall in primer,, sigh,, Well worst case, this winter I have three new birds ready to paint and I will start the year next year with all new stunt weapons! lol,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
Hey Mark...FRET NOT...FART NOT!!!
Just YESTERDAY....I finally picked up my new canopy and cowling for my TRASHED SUPER CHIP that Ben Madsen ordered from Sig for me.

Ben RAZZED AND JAZZED ME...and then showed me the beautiful REWORK on his smashed  MAGNUM stunt model that BIT the tarmac in Puyallup a short time ago.
Gads..Ben does great work.
SHULTZIE just can't get started...I truly would rather build ANY NEW MODEL...THAN REPAIR THIS OLD PIECE OF 1976 CRAP that should have been retired years and years ago.
Bottom line!
WHATS THE HURRY AND REMEMBER....RUSHING CREATIVITY JUST SUCKS!!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »
Shultzie,

I like the paint scheme on the Chip.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
Shultzie,

I like the paint scheme on the Chip.
Thanks Tom.....amazing how the STUNT GODS keep so many of us DOWN TO EARTH just to prove that we are all mere mortals, PROOF POSITIVE...That most of us TRULY ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS OUR LAST GIG! (that includes our last CLPA paint job?) SH^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »
Shultzie,

You should have been out at the Narrows last weekend. Bob Emmett showed up and flew his new original Thunderbird. Man, that guy and still build and fly. Very cool.

And I loved the Chip. You need to rebuild it. And put on decent wheels this time.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
Shultzie,

You should have been out at the Narrows last weekend. Bob Emmett showed up and flew his new original Thunderbird. Man, that guy and still build and fly. Very cool.

And I loved the Chip. You need to rebuild it. And put on decent wheels this time.   ;D
Carol and I just got back yesterday...from our trip to Cannon Beach for our annual family beach get together.
Great sunny daze for Sat-Sun-Mon-part of Tues..THEN THE FOG & DRIZZLE ROLLED IN
Sorry I missed seein' Bob and the rest of you grunts. y1
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here