News:

• May 12, 2024, 01:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Avenger is in color , again, NOW WITH TEST FLIGHT INFORMATION  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: The Avenger is in color , again,
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »
Leo,
aint it past your bed time? sheesh
how are you havent heard from your neck of the woods for ages!!
thanks for the comments,, will you be coming to see it in Portland?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »
We been trying, trust me,, I think I even gave him a new set of plans if I recall correctly>? if not, I have a set for him,,
we need to outlaw kites, then maybe he might,,

Hummmm? I have seen your plans that you posted on this website but I can't recall ever recieving them through the mail? I have alway been curious and would love to see a copy to see how you managed to stuff a larger engine up front as well as the new improved cowling hatch...and beefed up fuselage and aft section details.
Here is another shot of the original plans again....for comparison?
AGAIN..MARK!!! YA DUN'DOODME SOOOOOO PROUD!
THIS NEW AVENGER OF YOUR'S IS TRULY UP AND ONTO A COMPLETELY NEW LEVEL OF PERFECTION IN CLPA ART!
CONGRATULATIONS AND ALL THE BEST WISHES IN THE UP COMING FLYING SEASON.
Don Shultz

Offline leoflyboy

• New Pilot
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »
Stunning,just stunning, whats the finish? Where can I get a set of your plans? Id even swing for a set of Lazer parts, possible??Those guys at VSC next year have a heavy burden to tote if they think they can top your planes fit and finish.!! What a beauty,top ten Ive ever seen!Thanks for sharing, now I gotta go refinish my Playboy and Ares ,Argus too!! Look like cheap Imitation compared with your fit and finish.. All the best! Rob F

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »
Shultzie,
hveing dabbled a bit in some RC,, ( shhh dont tell ok) It is pretty amazing what has become of the hobby development wise, I am however appaled that in that picture with the newest member of your clan, there is an RC MODEL, and no indication that you are fighting that corruption with something control line, I mean come on man,, lets get with it.

as for the Avenger,, again, top secret, I have been looking at this model thinking how slick it could be with an electric drivetrain,,, hmmmmmm

I have a set of plans for you seriously,, if your coming to watch in Portland, I will bring them otherwise email me your address and I will mail them out to you,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »
While I was re-attaching a photo....of a possible half A model of that old Seahawker....I just read your last post.
Yes!
I would love to be on hand to bear wittness to your first Portland test flights on that beautiful and creative CLPA work of art.

Just one question?
Why Portland...when we have one amazingly gifted WORLD CHAMPION CLPA flyer who has been documented to be the best CLPA TEST PILOT JOCKEY'S TO EVER GRACE THIS PLANET EARTH ? H^^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
Well, given my current employment status, I probably wont be able to make two trips over to the west side before the portland contest. So what I am thinking is that perhaps I will come over a few days early on the week of the contest and work on trim Thursday and Friday. It remains to be seen for sure yet, still planning.
I would LOVE to have Pauls help trimming ,, we will just have to see how it plays out. I will let you know for sure what the plan is as soon as I can. It would make me happy to have you see the beast before I commit it to the stunt gods for its first flight, after all, you NEVER KNOW<,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
Well, given my current employment status, I probably wont be able to make two trips over to the west side before the portland contest. So what I am thinking is that perhaps I will come over a few days early on the week of the contest and work on trim Thursday and Friday. It remains to be seen for sure yet, still planning.

Yes...PORTLAND....That makes sense.... "KILLING TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE!" ~^ OPPPS! ~^ n1 SO TO SPEAKUTH TRASH TALK!!!!THAT WAS SUCH AN UNCALLED FOR BAD BAD BAD BAD ATTEMPT AT SIC' HUMOR!!!!
Be it our beloved gifted Paul Walker or the unworthiest' of the worst of da' worstest ol' toot Shultz'n' hi murrrr'...TRULY ONE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR LAST GIG OR FRIGHT FLIGHT~ ~^ H^^ n~
"MAY THE LORDS OF STUNTDOME...SHINE UPON YOU DURING THOSE FIRST TEST RIDES!"
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
OUCH,,
yeah lets hope I wont be killing any birds Shultzie,, sheesh,, especially to ME the king of crash lol,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
OUCH,,
yeah lets hope I wont be killing any birds Shultzie,, sheesh,, especially to ME the king of crash lol,,
LL~ n~

HEY!  "The king of crash???? I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK...MARK! I THOUGHT THAT WAS MY NAME?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Mark's managed some rather creative ways to put a plane in. But I'm still the king of crash after the USA-1 went in at Vancouver BC. That was the most spectacular crash I've ever seen.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
Mark's managed some rather creative ways to put a plane in. But I'm still the king of crash after the USA-1 went in at Vancouver BC. That was the most spectacular crash I've ever seen.
Wow! Any photos of that USA of yours to post for us... CLP**????

Randy...Have you returned from the Sunny lands....because of this great weather today...you must have packaged it up down there  and brought it back home with you!!! LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
Shultzie,

Yea, got back on Sunday. Still recovering.

I have some pictures of the USA-1 at home somewhere.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
Shulzie    Here is another I beam called Avenger. Does any one know who the the well known builder is? I will give you a clue, his wife is Paula. How about that famous piece of runway,where is that?
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
Shulzie    Here is another I beam called Avenger. Does any one know who the the well known builder is? I will give you a clue, his wife is Paula. How about that famous piece of runway,where is that?
Ed

Ed,
Builder was Larry Barickman.
I "think" the "famous piece of runway" is Whitehouse.
How many did I get correct?
Roger Vizioli
Merritt Island,FL
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
Roger that was to easy for a Florida guy. Yes you are correct on both. I only saw this model twice.I think Larry had problems with it and set it aside.I believe he had a Aldrich reworked 40 in it and it was underpowered. It he didn't crash it Paula must still have it.
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
Shulzie   
   It sure looks a lot like the Gladiator. I have never seen a Gladiator so I looked in theClassic Era book by Tom Morris and also on the CD with the classic and old time models and articles in it. I said it was a I beam but maybe I was wrong. Here is another view of the plane. Larry was a very talented builder. I came across the picture as I was getting a group of Larry's pictures of him and his planes to post in the AS Time goes By section. Larry and Paula were good friends and Paula helped my wife Rebecca do flight totals and all the paper work at the Tampa Bay line Flyers Contests many years ago. Here is another view of the plane. I think the tail moment is longer on Larry's version. I remember it seemed long when I took the picture.
EddyR

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Congratulations...on your CLPA win in Portland and showing me those great first flight trim flights on this NEW AGE AVENGER of yours.

Here is just one shot from last weekend's Portland Spring tune up fest and a couple from Flying lines. PAAAASOOOOLUTELEEE'ABSOTIVEEELEEEE' BEEEEEUUUUTTEEEEFUL WORK OF CLPA-ART!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:15:26 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
Yea, Mark handed me his camera with minimal instruction and said, here, take some pictures for Shultzie, then went flying.

Glad I got the plane in the frame at at least once. The plane looks wicked in the air.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 03:29:22 PM »
Randy, you actually got the plane in about half the pictures ;)
just a brief update on the trimming process, I am kinda lazy today,, got back from portland about one this morning,, only about 7 hours drive,, not as long as Pats,, so instead of rewriting the whole thing, I am just pasting the report I made to Shultzie via email..

Trimming is progressing nicely, Scott and I bench trimmed it to the expected specs, then added a 1/4 ounce tip weight, a half ounce nose weight, and moved the leadouts back an 1/8 for insurance.
After about a dozen flights, I have removed the tip weight, moved the lead-outs forward, moved the landing gear forward,  and narrowed my handle spacing a fair amount. as well as shortening the down line at the handle, now she flies pretty honest. I found that trying to do the top of the squares, it was wanting to drift towards the canopy, and level flight wanted to be at 7 or 8 feet. After conferring with Pat and Randy, I decided the trick was to shorten the down line, which then would let the plane fly level across the top of the squares when I hold my hand in its muscle memory position, same with level flight. It made a HUGE difference. Then moved the lead-outs forward a bit to eliminate some yaw. Its flying pretty well now. I decided that I would not fly it in the contest, just not enough handle time for me yet. I started out with a Thunder tiger 12.5 x 5.5 prop, Randy's recommendation, I set the needle for 8800 rpm, and had 5.0 to 5.1 second lap times right off the bat. after several flights, Pat suggested I try the paddle prop he had on his shark some years ago, its smaller diameter, but wider blades. The first flight on it I was doing 5.4 second laps, with BETTER line tension even flying slower,, very interesting in deed. got the lap times back to the 5.1 range and its pretty happy now. the Squares have settled down, after I narrowed the handle spacing. Two sad notes, the first flight, as I landed, I moved my hand to neutral position as I do with all my other planes. I had the gear to far back apparently, and it tipped up onto its nose scraping the bottom of the cowl badly. I can repair it, and fix it with a dark trim colored scallop most likely. I was really hoping it got the spinner, much easier to fix,, sigh, oh well. The second thing, about flight 6 after landing, Randy says, hey your pilot committed suicide,, nice, the pilots head broke off at the neck. Now THAT pissed me off, but what can you do. I have a game plan for fixing it, just going to take some time. Short story, she flies wonderful so far, no major vices, and rock solid at level flight. PLENTY of corner,, and nice smooth rounds. I hope I can get more time on her before regional s, I think she will serve me well.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: The Avenger is in color , again, NOW WITH TEST FLIGHT INFORMATION
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
Sounds like great first flight reports, Mark!  When the airplane gives you confidence through it's looks and manners, you automatically fly better.   y1

Keep on working with it, it should really do the job for you!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here