News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "Small" Mystere  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
The "Small" Mystere
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »
OK, guys,  The question was not answered on the other thread, so here goes....

Is there plans available for the 52" Mystere anywhere?  I know of only the 55" plans being available.

TIA
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: The "Small" Mystere
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
Bill,
I know of only 2 Mystere models because I have both magazines.
First, was the large 45-46 size model published in Model Airplane News some time in the 60's and the second was the smaller model published in Oct. 1970 of Flying Models and plans are still listed for sale as CF213.

Hope this helps,
                                                                Pat Robinson 

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Hey Bill, I did some research in th Oct. 1970 Flying Models article on the Mystere II.  Fact 1. It has a 55" Wingspan / Fact 2. It is intended for 35-40
size engines / Fact 3.  It referenced that Mike Thompson flew this design to 2nd place in junior stunt in 1969 which would make it classic legal.
If you will remember I think the original Chipmunk design had a 54" wingspan if I am not mistaken so to have Jim create a 55" Mystere intended for 35-40 engines would make sense. I hope this clears up your questions.
                                                         Hope it helps, again
                                                                  Pat

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
Okay Bill, I decided to complete the picture by saying that the original Mystere was published in 1959 in Model Airplane News and it had a 60" wingspan. By the way, Stuka Stunt Works has plans for the original "Big"
version and they are listed as plans 63A. I am going to to go away now!
                                                           I hope this helps ( 3rd version)
                                                               Pat

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
Hey Bill, I did some research in th Oct. 1970 Flying Models article on the Mystere II.  Fact 1. It has a 55" Wingspan / Fact 2. It is intended for 35-40
size engines / Fact 3.  It referenced that Mike Thompson flew this design to 2nd place in junior stunt in 1969 which would make it classic legal.
If you will remember I think the original Chipmunk design had a 54" wingspan if I am not mistaken so to have Jim create a 55" Mystere intended for 35-40 engines would make sense. I hope this clears up your questions.
                                                         Hope it helps, again
                                                                  Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info!  I am going on the 52" WS quoted by Jim Pollock in the other thread about the Mystere.  55" WS would not be the one he is talking about, so i don't know if it was ever published or not, hence my question about plans..........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »
Hey Bill, I am confused too because Jim van Loo clearly states that the 55"
Mystere II was the plane that Mike Thompson flew at the 69 Nats in the Flying Models article.  The earlier post said that the 1970 plane was probably
the 1969 plane refinished so I'm not sure where a 52" wing comes in. I'm not doubting anyones elses memory given what time has done to mine but it is confusing. I guess the bigger question did Jim Van Loo ever draw up a 52" span Mystere airplane for which you would pursue a search for plans or did someone decide to leave off some ribs from the 55" plans to modify the wing to 52" or less likely did Jim Pollock measure the 55" wing without the tips
which equaled 52" and that number stuck in his memory. If it was me the 2nd explanation might be likely but I won't speak to anyone else's memory.
                                                              Confused too,
                                                                     Pat

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
Bill,

I have  plans to the smaller version, which according to the article was designed and built before 1970, therefore Classic legal.

Allen

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
Somehow, I think Mike may have re-engineered his Mystere for a shorter span than the 55 inches in the article.
It could have had something to do with carrying it in the car they had before they got that awful green
Chevy Suburban.

Jim Pollock   %^@

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here