News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Spit  (Read 18640 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Sterling Spit
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »
Dave I was fortunate enough to meet Ed and his lovely wife at VSC.   He had his planes with him..  Ed was not much bigger than you and him holding those planes made them look even larger.  Yes the Skylark he flew was bigger than the Sterling kit.   His lark looked even huge.  And he did a beautiful job flying them.   It was really sad to here of them getting killed in a car wreck.  Let me look and see if I have either of the kits that Ken Smith made at the time.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Hello Bill.  Thanks for the back story and filling in for my failed memory.  Your big Skylark was impressive to me and sure a beautiful thing.  Skylarks have a special classy look about them somehow,  the distinct rudder shape and unusual cowling to me stand out.  One of the earliest stunters I saw as a youngster was a pretty metallic blue one here in KC built and flown by local legend Ray Reinschmitt.  A thing awesome to me.  Now I'm curious; the original 56" span airplane.  Was the span just longer (higher aspect ratio) or was it larger by scale overall?  In other words what would it take to your memory to get a kit Skylark up to the 56" version?  I bought an after market set of plans off the bay a while back. I should dig those up and see what it is.  Another question is what larger version is classic legal.  Is that the one you had in Washington?  I have a new PA .51 looking for a job.

It's very nice to hear from you and I hope you get out to Muncie one of these times.  I know it's a haul for you.  And thank you for your kind words about the Impact kit.  Wish I could today get the kind of wood I did in those days.  Riley was sure I got good stuff.

I checked the plans I bought-straight kit version.  They do have a full size fuselage drawing that the Sterling kit doesn't.  That seems to be a common thing for Sterling.

Hi Dave,

The Lark (semi-elliptical trailing edge wing & full elliptical horizontal tail) that I flew to 5th place in Classic at the 1995 Nats was Ed's design just prior to the Skylark.  The Lark has a 58" span with the same root chord as the original (56" span) Skylark.  The Sterling kit skylark had a 52" span with the same root chord and airfoil as Ed's original 56" span Skylark. 

Again, the piped Skylark that I flew at the 1995 Nats was not classic legal as it was a one-off modification of Ed's Skylark.  I just extended the span to 60" & used larger flaps, and powered it with an OS .46VF on a tuned pipe.  Even as porky as that Skylark was the OS .46VF did a good job of hauling it around.

Two Skylarks are classic legal: Ed's original 56" span airplane and the Sterling kit size airplane with a 52" span.  I think that the 56" span airplane with your either a Super Tigre .46 or your Super Tigre .51 would be a good combination.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
FWIW: The RSM kit of the Skylark can be built as any of the versions that have been mentioned in this post. The plans show all three and note that only the 52" and 56" are classic legal. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »
Coming along slowly....I'm enjoying this build!  Might get it done and fly in the fall classic contest in Topeka.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Yes Charles,  exactly per plan.  I did replace the wood here with something not quite so hard and heavy but traced right off the kit parts.  Thought to not cut out the holes but decided to keep it true to original.
AMA 20934

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
Coming along slowly....I'm enjoying this build!  Might get it done and fly in the fall classic contest in Topeka.

Looks great Dave! y1

Must be a real late version, with a 14 cylinder Merlin? S?P :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:41 AM »
Looks great Dave! y1

Must be a real late version, with a 14 cylinder Merlin? S?P :##
Why do I feel like I'm going to lose this discussion?  Just because you mention it I think the ship was modeled after one of the latest Griffon engined Marks.  In my opinion they give up a little of that classic Spitfire look but still pretty sharp anyway.  Also the ones the US used and left all aluminum look a bit strange to me.  Camo-Spit, Spit-Camo.  Spit-Blank?  Kind of like a P 40 less a sharks mouth.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Hoping you'll show up John!  Worked late most all week so I've been able to fly a few flights each morning this week.  Weather has been great- if not too still at times.  See ya soon!
AMA 20934

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
To still ?     That is a problem I would like to have.  It is winter again in NY.
Joe Daly

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
Sorry Joe!  We just started getting flying weather here in the last couple weeks.  Waiting now for the spring monsoon.  I'll push some of this east- be there soon!
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Yesterday I got a lot done.  I put in 13-14 flights in the morning,  then covered the Spitfire and Firecat in the new Thai silk.  Here they have a wet coat of dope on.  Looks like it's going to take about four coats of Certified tautening to get the silk snugged up.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
Hi Dave,

The Spit is really sharp!  On the Firecat, where did the red silk come from?  ;D  Looks super sharp!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Bill that's from Thai Silk in California.  It's very nice and very cheap for silk.  There is a thread here on it or just Google it.
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
Bill that's from Thai Silk in California.  It's very nice and very cheap for silk.  There is a thread here on it or just Google it.

Hi Dave,

I use Thai silk, I just didn't know I could get it in colors!  I will check the site since I just might be willing to use some colored silk before long.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
Planes still great even with all the wrinkles.   Should have seen the Thirteen before that last coat of butyrate dope.   I am trying to decide what color to use on the SR for the wings and tail.  Guess I will go to fabric store and see what they have.

*SR=Super Ringmaster.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »
Doc I didn't know you could still buy good covering silk at a fabric store....but this Thai silk is good.  For some reason the silver used on the Spit shrinks a little better than the red on the Firecat.  I'll be tempted to carry the planes in the car a day or two and let the heat help shrink the stuff.  What heat?  Watching it rain on my day off!  Rather be flying.  I'm trying to sort through and re-pitch about eight props for Duke.  I keep ending up from 5.5 to 5.8 on laps.  Twisting more and more pitch.  Still Duke will stay out and do a pretty fair pattern that slow but looking to go faster in the four cycle....... X$&XX rain!!!
AMA 20934

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »
Send that rain over here to California. We're having a drought. #^

Jerry

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Send that rain over here to California. We're having a drought. #^

Jerry
And a few quakes I hear Jerry!  I know its bone dry there.  My sis lives in La Quinta and I'm always worried about wildfires around her.  You guys need to freshen some of that ocean water up!  Drying up next to the biggest water mass on the planet.....and we think we're smart?
AMA 20934

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »
Why do I feel like I'm going to lose this discussion?  Just because you mention it I think the ship was modeled after one of the latest Griffon engined Marks.  In my opinion they give up a little of that classic Spitfire look but still pretty sharp anyway.  Also the ones the US used and left all aluminum look a bit strange to me.  Camo-Spit, Spit-Camo.  Spit-Blank?  Kind of like a P 40 less a sharks mouth.

You missed my fun-intended poke Dave, I was only razzing you because at a glance it looks like you have seven exhaust stacks per side on the model. I'm sure the most forward one on each side is representing a heat shield or something. Having the bubble canopy the Sterling model is loosely designed around a later model Spit, but there never were any 14 cylinder Merlins or Griffons like I tossed you the jab about.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »
Yes I got it Wayne.  I didn't even think about it when I sanded the segments into the wood strip.  I was more concerned about getting them pretty even.  Still have to build the radiators and glue them to the silk on the bottom.
I got to the drawing board a little last night and started drawing up my next full stunt ship.  I'm putting my Merlin .75 into a semi scale Wedell Williams racer.  Not going to build it soon but it will have some moulded parts and be take- apart so wanted to start thinking about all that.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
Hey Dave they do have a heavier weight of silk than we normally use.  I go to the poly-ester fabric section.  Have to sort through to find the light weight stuff.   Originally called jacket lining material.  It can be shrunk with an iron.  Evan after a coat or two of dope I still hit it with an iron.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
I couldn't find a Spit plan the right size, so I started with a Profile Pub 3-view and drew my own.  This one started with a RO-JETT 74 with electric retracts.  My miscalculations resulted in about 4 oz. lead in the tail!
After a couple flights, something had to go!  I replaced the engine with the lighter RO-JETT 61 and took out the retracts and all the tail lead.  Now I have a truly decent stunter at 65 oz.

I see many Spit stunters, but why would anyone build one without dihedral?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
Luv your Spit Floyd, I will be building the Brodak version soon, modifying it to a bubble top-plans of which Pat has drawn and can be purchased thru Aero Products. Engine...too early to tell. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »
That's really nice Floyd! 
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2014, 06:02:33 PM »
With the Spit getting close I've been eyeing the next project.  I ordered wood from Sig for the Space Hound.  The build is complex in areas- not sure why but......Putting in a Tono 5.6.  I have two now.  I get nervous about building an airplane around an obscure engine but with two....also thrilled to find the McCoy Series 21 engines are an exact drop in fit for the Tono.  I have a good supply of new ones.
AMA 20934

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »

A Spacehound stunter?

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
Hi Wayne.  Yes the Space Hound was a Soviet era design by Yuri Sirotkin from the USSR in the early sixties and was flown at the World Champs I believe in 1964.  It used the MVVS 5.6 rear intake engine.  I'm going to use the Tono 5.6 from the same era and country, also rear intake.  It's a neat looking airplane that completely embodies the eastern block stunt ships of the time.  I never forgot a photo I saw of it as a kid in the American Modeller Annual of it flying in the European Criterium of Champions.  The picture didn't explain the airplane and it wasn't until recently I was able to I.D. the thing and find plans.
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Hi Wayne.  Yes the Space Hound was a Soviet era design by Yuri Sirotkin from the USSR in the early sixties and was flown at the World Champs I believe in 1964.  It used the MVVS 5.6 rear intake engine.  I'm going to use the Tono 5.6 from the same era and country, also rear intake.  It's a neat looking airplane that completely embodies the eastern block stunt ships of the time.  I never forgot a photo I saw of it as a kid in the American Modeller Annual of it flying in the European Criterium of Champions.  The picture didn't explain the airplane and it wasn't until recently I was able to I.D. the thing and find plans.

Hi Dave and Wayne!  Just message Steve Fitton about my Spacehound!  Mind you, I used a ST .46 in mine for purposes you will see as you are building yours.  Super thin wing, itty bitty tail feathers and a fuselage that looks like a majorly pregnant guppy.  But, mine flies really nice, especially the round maneuvers!  Something else to remember: Sirotkin ran the MVVS .35 on a 10-4 prop............ ever heard of high rpm, low pitch??  BTW:  I have been searching to buy one of the 21 (!!) MVVS that were made for the team.  Figure I can knock off a couple liquor stores up North to pay for it.  I-95 makes for a good get away............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
I noticed the 10-4 prop on the drawings.  Obviously two strokin'.  I'm going to try the Tono but I can drop in the Mac .40 without touching anything.  Beyond that there are options with a little modifying.   I might chicken out and just put an Enya .45 in.  Then again I have a pair of Raduga 7s..  Was going in the Super Master with those but the Enyas could go there..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:42:45 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Hi Wayne.  Yes the Space Hound was a Soviet era design by Yuri Sirotkin from the USSR in the early sixties and was flown at the World Champs I believe in 1964.

Doh! That was a brain fart on my part Dave, for some reason I had visualized the Sig "Spacewalker". n~

Wayne Willey

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
AMA 11416

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 08:08:28 PM »
John thanks for posting the drawing.  I couldn't make it happen.  Wayne not too many would know the airplane.  To be honest,  the name doesn't seem to fit the vision of a Soviet champion stunt ship.  Think I'd have re-named it!
AMA 20934

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »

I do recognize that one now, quite a funky looking bird it is.

Any color on that Spit yet?

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
Wayne the Spit has me frustrated.  I finally got the silk pulled up fairly well. I then mixed some baby powder in NON TAUTENING clear and applied it.  The silk all bagged out again and now will not pull tight again.  Today since it's too windy to fly on my day off I'm going to strip it all off and recover with Plyspan if the hobby shop has enough.  If not I might try the 60 year old silkspan in the kit.  I think in the future with the silk I'll have to stay with tautening dope and no fillers all the way. 
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
Did you forget the days when silk was always put on wet and pulled tight also while doping the edges.   Also Butyrate Testors was my choice as Charley's Hobbby Shop had it in pints, quarts and gallons as well as the thinner.  He also carried Aerogloss, but not in big quenities.   For me it usually took about 5 coats of butyrate to get the silk sealed and it was always drum tight.   I used a lot of colored silk during that time also.  Trim colors were put on after the silk was sealed.  Then one final coat of clear.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »
John I wet then doped the silk down.  When covered and dry it was really nice with no wrinkles.  Went to haties when doping.  Perhaps the Certified doesn't shrink that much.  Next silk job I'll try Sig Supercoat.  It'll make a flap into a prop pretty quick.  Just can't go back over with non-taut or your done.  The Spit was getting weighty with all the clear I put on so it's better to peel the banana and start over.  The Plyspan is the devil I know.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
Back to bones and much lighter.
AMA 20934

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Silkspan
Joe Daly

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
Silkspan
Joe if there was enough good stuff.  Actually I like the Plyspan pretty well.  WOW!  My 4-6# just got here from Sig.  Ordered on the website Sunday when they were closed,  it arrived here Tuesday.  Looks nice too!
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »
Silkspan

I am too accident prone around the shop and car to use silkspan on a "good" model!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Must we keep sharp things away from you Bill?  Lol!  Well the Plyspan is on.
AMA 20934

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »

It looks great Dave, I have been following this thread since I have the Sterling and Umland Spitfires in my stash of kits. You are doing a fine job. If you guys want there is a movie about RJ Mitchell the designer of the Spit called the First of the few that you can watch at this link:  https://archive.org/details/TheFirstOfTheFew

Juan

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
Thank you Juan!
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Must we keep sharp things away from you Bill?  Lol!  Well the Plyspan is on.

Hi Dave,

It's not just sharp objects! LOL!!  Things just reach out and grab my "good" models.  If it's a profile or something, I don't have a problem...........  But, I try to use Polyspan on the good ones now.  It is much harder to put a hole in! ;D

The Spit looks great!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »

Save the silk for panties, polyspan is the only way to go. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:23 AM »
Closing in now.
AMA 20934

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
AWESOME build Dave! y1
Many thanks for sharing!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »
Thank you Wes.  I'll probably fly it right after the Nats.  It's feeling pretty light- not much finish.  Think I'll keep it that way.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
Well the Spit is complete other than mounting the engine and tank.  She's a little plain-Jane but I like it well enough.  We should test fly it when I get back from the Nats.
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here