News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:33:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Spit  (Read 18626 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Sterling Spit
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
 Looks great Dave, and "plain Jane" is fine, but don't you at least need to add the red circle in the center of the insignias and the red to the flag on the fin?

That little bit would wake it up quite a bit. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
Hi Wayne.  The photos of the Aussie (or New Zealand ) Spit I saw on that book cover were just as I put them on here.  I didn't do any research on it.  Maybe I should buy the book!  

I sort of think I remember reading something years ago about some ID confusion when the roundels came to the pacific and were confused with the Japanese meatballs.  Maybe that's where this came from.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:44:27 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »
   ...Hey Dave, When the Royal Australian Air Force was formed on 31 March 1921, it adopted the existing red, white and blue Roundel of the Royal Air Force to identify the aircraft. However the red inner circle was removed during WW II, when an 11 Squadron Catalina was mistaken for a Japanese aircraft by a United States Navy Wildcat. Correct Roundel on your cool bird.
AMA 11416

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
   ...Hey Dave, When the Royal Australian Air Force was formed on 31 March 1921, it adopted the existing red, white and blue Roundel of the Royal Air Force to identify the aircraft. However the red inner circle was removed during WW II, when an 11 Squadron Catalina was mistaken for a Japanese aircraft by a United States Navy Wildcat. Correct Roundel on your cool bird.
Bingo!
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »

Hmm, I guess I didn't realize that you were doing an Aussie version Dave. I wonder era the simple blue and white insignia was used, I assume the red kangaroo was added to it later...which might still be a nice addition. ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
   ...Hey wwwarbird, After the war the red inner circle was re-introduced, but on 2 July 1956 the Red Kangaroo "in motion" was chosen as the most popular center piece from a range of other options including the Southern Cross, a boomerang and a sprig of wattle. It has been displayed with pride, not only on aircraft, but on various promotional material since 1982.
AMA 11416

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
I'd bet there were still a few Spits in service there in 1956.  Could be some go the Kangaroo...that would be cool!  I know some Spitfires were in service in third world countries into the 60s.  I think Spain was using Spanish built ME 109s into the late 50s.  I have a couple Veco Hurricane kits to build.  Might look for interesting alternative paint schemes there.  I did a Hurricane of my own design a few years ago as a sea hurricane.  It looks pretty good in aqua camouflage.  Pretty airplane but got too heavy to fly verticals very well.
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »
 Thanks for the info John, interesting stuff there.

Here's my two cents Dave, get some masks and add the kangaroos, it'll add a nice finishing touch. y1

Wayne Willey

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
I did a Google search and found one photo with the'roo' markings on a row of Spitfires.  Most were like mine.  Interesting how many were 'tropical' versions and how many had P40 style sharks mouth paint.  Also found one in Japanese markings and one in Russian.  I weighed the bird ready to go.  48 ounces.  Better at a little less but we works with it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:47:49 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »
A little trouble in paradise.  When I went to mounting the spinner and prop on the Spit I found the shaft on the Stallion to be a little shorter than other engines.  The backplate on my 2 1/2" Chinese spinner and standard Top Flight wood prop don't leave enough shaft for a washer or nut.  Either I reset another engine or get an extension nut machined....hello?   Mr. Lee?
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
Well I gave up on the Stallions.  Three different engines couldn't get job done.  When they did run they had no power.  All would get hot and quit about half way into a flight.  Converting the Spit to Red Head McCoy .35s.  I have five of the 'good' ones from the first production run.  I KNOW these will perform.  What little I could tell the machine felt pretty good in the air.  Didn't find any alignment or control issues.  Did have about 1/4 ounce too much tip weight.  I didn't make it adjustable so had to cut a hole and pluck it out.  Should be ready to try again by the weekend.
Also found I created a problem with a 1/16" plywood spacer with sandpaper glued on used to space the spinner backplate away from the nose ring since it seemed to rub a little.  It didn't compress perfectly and caused that big 2 1/2" aluminum spinner to run a little off-true which would foam the fuel when the tank got down below half full.  I replaced that with a stainless washer which solved that.  I had to chop the nose back about 1/4" to retrofit the McCoy so fixing that problem by giving myself a little more spinner clearance.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »
Always problems isn't it.   When you see my new planes don't look too close.   All the fits I had did not fit once I started to assemble the engines to the planes.   Even had the bags marked that the engines and parts were in.  But, these were built for fun and the Super Ringmaster was for reliving my first plane.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
Hi Dave,

I like the looks of it and I'm glad there are no flying issues!  IIRC, the original Sterling plans called for a Veco .35.  That's what I put in mine, and when the rebuild gets done, it will still be in it. ;D  I love both the Red Head McCoys and the Vecos.  IMHO, the Veco is a touch stronger and I believe they will interchange.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »
Thanks Bill.  I have a real strong Veco .35.  Was thinking to save it for my Veco Hurricane but never thought about it for the Spit.  If it does fit up I might check the engine out in the Spit before I build the Hurricane around it.
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have been saving my #1 Veco .35 for a replica of the model Bob took to the World Championships which is hanging in the AMA Museum.  It is a T-Bird II but slightly different from the Veco kit.  You should like that Veco. y1

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
Bill I've run mine just once on the stand but man it's got compression like a G21 Tigre.  Would be nice to see if it holds up in the air before I commit an airframe.  Have lots of other choices.  I really like that Tbird in the museum.  I admired again this last trip.  It sure doesn't look it's age.  Thought I had a pic of it but can't find it.
AMA 20934

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
Plane looks great Dave. Like everyone else on this forum, I've always admired Spitfires. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »
Bill I've run mine just once on the stand but man it's got compression like a G21 Tigre.  Would be nice to see if it holds up in the air before I commit an airframe.  Have lots of other choices.  I really like that Tbird in the museum.  I admired again this last trip.  It sure doesn't look it's age.  Thought I had a pic of it but can't find it.

Hi Dave,

Swap it for the McCoy that is on the Firecat.  That's what I do on my Giant Stunt Master.  They bolt right in on a profile.  And, that's why I think the Veco is a touch stronger, having flown the model with both engines quite a bit.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here