News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: starting a Al Rabe Bearcat  (Read 13832 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
starting a Al Rabe Bearcat
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
Robert made comments to me that I found very offensive on another topic so I have taken all my comments and pictures down on this build. j1
Ed
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:21:50 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: starting a Al Rabe Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
Actually, the 68 Rabe Bearcat has a slightly swept forward wing TE.  That is why Al shows the split horns.  I would recommend using a single horn.  It will work given the relatively slight dihedral and flap hinge line sweep.  If you built the Juno with a single horn, you should have experience that it works.  I have seen some of the Rabe Bearcats fly very well, some not so well.  The not so good flying ones normally have had weight and control issues.

Mine is over 13 years old and has had some success including a first in the recent Nats Classic event and has placed well in Classic and Expert events over the years.

Mine incorporates a variation of the Rabe rudder, the fuselage was constructed from 3/32 sheet and 3/32 strip planking, and the wing used Bob Hunt's lost foam process.  Tail pieces were built as shown on the plans.  Very light and adequately strong.  When new is was 60 oz, now slightly over 63.  Wore out an Aldrich Jett 50 after about 1,200 flights.  Put a  new Aldrich Jett 50 in last spring and the airplane is still doing well other than looking a bit used.

I would suggest trying to get a canopy from Brodak.  It should be about the right size and shape.

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
Hi Keith

(Clip

I have  built swept wing stunt planes that flew well with duel flap horns but that is another place for failure so it will be a single horn as you have used.
 Did you use one to one on the controles? You may remember I suggested driving the flap horns from the back if two horns are used. That method gets rid of the differential effect of driving them from the front. Most of the I/beam planes I have built I drive the flap horn from midway on the elevator pushrod. It makes the whole control system very smooth and alignment is much easier and it takes some of the load off the flap horn.
 I have seen many pictures of your plane and it has always make me want to build this model.
Ed

Split horns will result in more flex than you ever want between one flap to the other.  I have tried several methods to eliminate or reduce that flex.  With flexing flaps, there will be trim problems that cannot be eliminated. The best thing is to use a single horn, then if there is a lot of sweep/dihedral, use lucky boxes on that single horn.  (The Rabe methood of using a single flap horn works with its wire acting as a torsion rod curving around the wing TE, but you really need to know what you are doing to do this and pull it off correctly.)  But a lucky box is not needed unless there is really a LOT of angular difference in the flap hinge lines (sweep and/or dihedral).

I use a slider on all of my elevator horns.  I have found that there is an optimum flap/elevator ratio for every model, even and it can be different even with the same design/power train.  I would have to check the rear end of my Bearcat, but I am sure the flap/elevator ratio is somewhere between 0.7 to 1.0 and 0.8 to 1.0.  This is based on the distance from the pushrod on the flap horn from the flap hinge line (I normally set this at 1 inch to the pushrod location on the slotted elevator horn, now somewhere between 0.7 and 0.8 inch.  I think the pushrod on the elevator horn is closer to 0.7 inch.  I will check and let you know for sure.

Al's Bearcat has fairly large flaps, like approaching 20% of the wing area so not as much flap travel has been needed on my model, even with the weight it is carrying.  It is not a question of the airplane needing more power with flaps controls deflected (my bearcat just does not stall or mush), it is just a matter of finding the best corner and coming out of the corners flying straight.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »
Mine incorporates a variation of the Rabe rudder...

One of the more ingenious devices I've seen.  You gotta get Keith to show it to you. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:39 PM »
Hi Ed,

Aaron has his wing built, the basic fuselage box built, and we have made bucks for the upper and lower fuselage.  His is also going to be powered by a ST G.51.  I spoke with Al last week about all of this and he felt the model would come out fine.  I also spoke with Keith a week or so ago and will follow his advice.  I am getting ready to start a Mustang III which was "pre" molded Mustangs.

There IS a source for Al's own canopies and also the shock absorbing gear mechanism.  I will include that on my Mustang III.  I just have to get EVERYTHING else off the table.  I got laser cut ribs from Kyle Tankersley at Tank's Hanger (with the jig holes cut for the proper dihedral.

I have found Al to be great to converse with, both in person an over the phone.

Bill

P.S. I have waited at least 40 years to build a Rabe Mustang.......... 'bout time I did it! LL~ LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
Bill
  It is pretty light the way it is,about four ounces but there is no piston & sleeve, backplate nor head. I can get rid of one ounce on the motor and the muffler can make a big difference. I have a header that bends around and goes under and on center but it may hit the wing. I have been keeping it for years for something like this. Also I am going to use the Bearcat exhaust openings on the body sides to move air through the body from the motor compartment. Also no Juno's in my future. A LA 46 or ST/40-46 is plenty strong for the Juno.

Hi Ed,

The lightened ST .51 would be for "my" Juno. ;D  I found the ST G.51 from Tom to have an order of magnitude greater power than any of my ST .46.  Probably due to the higher rpm run still with a break.

On the Rabe Mustang I am going to probably use a PA .51 with the header and a can muffler.

Don't know what kind of muffler we will use on Aaron's Bearcat.

Bill

P.S. Take care of those cuts!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
I am starting on a Rabe Bearcat. I have plans for the 1968 and the 1970 models but I am building the first one with the straight trailing edge. It does have dihedral but not the swept forward trailing edge. I have dealt with swept forward trailing edges in the Juno's that I have built
and I don't want to go there.  Has anyone built one of these?  I want a Classic plane. I don't fly in many contests any more so I guess it is just a fun project.
 Does any one know where to get a canopy?
 I will post pictures as I go but this one will take a few months.
May have some surgery coming up so this will give me something to do as I recoup.
Ed

Some of the very best and most successful classical CLPA models, including that beautiful Al Rabe mustang that I had the chance to test fly...shown here with Al holding.
 YES.... I AM SHOUTING AND YES, I HAD A CHANCE TO TEST FLY THIS AWESOME SWEPT FORWARD TRAILING EDGE WINGED 67-68 BEARCAT!

Both Al and I had been flying swept forward trailing edges (and double forkin'flap horns) for many years without problems that seem to have given many(*edited due to brain glitch) builders the soft "flappity-n'-flexity' flap issues with forward or swept back wing trailing edges.
"THE ANSWER COULD BE BLOWIN' IN THE WIND N WING OR REALLY QUITE EZEEEE TO UNDERSTAND!!"

CAREFUL AND EXACT  ALIGNMENT IS PRIORITY ONE WITH ANY SWEPT FORWARD TRAILING EDGE WINGS.

EVEN AFTER ALL THESE YEARS...I  CAN STILL HEAR BOB GIALDINI'S CONVERSATION WE HAD ABOUT TAKING EXTRA CARE IN MAINTAINING CAREFUL & EXTREME ATTENTION THAT BOTH INSIDE AND OUTSIDE FLAP HORNS & THE DOUBLE FORK MUSIC WIRE FLAP PUSH RODS  HAVE THE SAME AND PRECISE  FLEXING BENDING CHARACTERISTICS AND EQUALLY MATCHED ALIGNMENT TO THE WING TRAILING EDGE.[/b No matter how much attention is paid in precise bending etc...IF THE SWEPT FORWARD WING IS NOT INSTALL IN PERFECT ALIGNMENT to the double fork  or the fuselage is not installed and aligned precisely....

THEN I CAN ASSURE YOU OR ANY BUILDER THE DOUBLE FORK WILL CERTAINLY "F**K UNTO YOU" when it comes to the final flight trimming stages on a swept wing format CLPA model.

Last photo...is Al's BEAUTIFUL Sea Fury which it would appear that he has at least gone for a single flap horn at the center line of that beautiful and complicated Sea Fury wing assembly. However I would also bet that both outboard flap horns were carefully aligned to the hinge line.
Amazing to me just how successful Al has been with these beautiful and complicated wing designs and how he has always managed to CREATE SUCH BEAUTIFUL FLYING WORKS OF CLPA ART for so many years.

When building any classic....it seems only right to try and re-create the same exact model at least as close as possible to the original design.
What an experience flying that Bear Cat of Al's....I will never forget  how awesome to see that  Big Fat Cat raise that tail up off the tarmac... thne to experience and enjoy that strange feeling of those shock absorbing spring loaded landing gears as it smooooooooooooothly sucked up the uneven tarmac...then the experience of the comforting line pull with that "innovative "Wiggleee Tail" and THEN THE BEST FOR LAST, THAT AMAZING  LANDING....with the  smooooooooth long quiet touchdown on the main gears...and finally watch that aft section settle down to a stop onto the tail wheel.

WOW! IT DOESN' PURTEEEERRRRRRRRRRR" than to watch one of Al's beautiful scale CLPA models in flight with CAPTAIN AL RABE at the controls.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:12:18 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »

(Clip)

Both Al and I had been flying swept forward trailing edges (and double forkin'flap horns) for many years without problems that seem to have given Keith and other builders the soft "flappity-n'-flexity' flap issues.

(Clip)

Hi Don,

I am not sure if you are referring to me in the above.  However, I do not have nor do I believe I have ever said that I have "flapity-n'-flexity flap issues" with my Bearcat.  I have often explained that flaps that flex excessively are to be avoided like the plague.  This results from a flexing flap horn (because of too small wire or too soft wire for the horn) or what can result if there are two horns.

Al abandoned the split horn approach some time ago.  Yes, his published Bearcat plans show two horns but he does not do that anymore.  Even with his later Mustangs that have more dihedral and hinge line sweep than the Bearcat, he uses a single horn with the hinges lashed to the trailing edge of the separate TE's, using the flex in the wire to act almost like a universal.  The horn busings are not on the same center line.  The horn wire is not bent, but flexes between the bushings.  You would think that this would cause excessive drag on the controls.  Yes, they are not completely "loose" but the controls are free.  It is surprising and you have to see it to understand how well it works.

On my Bearcat, as any of my semi scale models with dihedral/flap hinge line sweep,  I now use a single horn with the horn bushings on the same centerline.  (In other words, the horn wire is straight.)  With minimal dihedral/hinge line sweep, this works.  This has also been used by Bill Werwage on several of his designs with swept forward flaps.  One would think that there would be a bind in the control system as soon as the flaps deflect up or down.  zi think this works because there is enough flex in the flap hinges and in the horn bushings and in the wood holding the horn and in the horn itself to allow complete freedom of flap movement.  In this system, the horn wire hinge line needs to be carefully located such that it aligns with the flap hinge lines where the flap horn elbows go into the flaps.  The horn hinge line must accommodate for the dihedral and/or flap hinge line sweep in this manner.

Split horns, no matter how complex the system is to interconnect the two will result in more flex between the two flaps than is necessary.  Any flex is undesirable.  More flex than necessary is to be avoided.  In cases with extreme dihedral and/or hinge line sweep, use lucky boxes.

Hope this makes sense.  If what I tried to explain above does not come across clearly, let me know and I will try again.

Keith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
Hi Don,

I am not sure if you are referring to me in the above.  Hope this makes sense.  If what I tried to explain above does not come across clearly, let me know and I will try again.

Keith

OPPS KEITH! BRAIN FART OL SHULTZIE! n~
Guess I was just REFERRING to just about ANYONE  who has built CLPA models and labored with the complexities of double forked control horns on  swept forward trailing edges and Flex or UNEVEN SIDE TO SIDE FLEX of any flap or elevator SHOULD DEFINATELY BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE ~^ ~^ :X

That being SAID SAD N' DUNG' DONE...after my first 1967 Sting Ray, from that point forward I switched to Ball bearing inserts in both my swept forwad trailing edged wing flaps and elevator control systems----- as I had mentioned waaaay back in my old  AAM mag. Avenger 35 article.

Unfortunately I didn't stress enough about being extremely careful...to make both pushrod forks on each sides of the main bellcrank, to the double fork horns IDENTICAL...in both  flex and alignment. Both bending and soldering nightmares were always hiding in the wings. Certainly a challenge and not an EZ task for any  newbee's with a solder gun or torch. ~^ %^
 %^
And I can surely see that you have pretty much solved most of the issues...by utilizing ONE SINGLE FLAP HORN ASSEMBLY...with that clever flexing  (ala almost like a universal joint) between the bushings concept that both you and Al are now using?
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »
Bill   
  4" bellcrank and I think the flap arm is 1.25" at the top hole. The elevator is adjustable. Most of the time I start with less than One to One
If I need to I will build some horns. I have a box full of them but sometimes I build them to fit the model. I may drive the flap horn from the back. I need to check the angles of the pushrod as it leaves the bellcrank. If i drive the elevator pushrod from the flap horn I come off the same top hole that the pushrod goes into. I use two Ball-links on the same bolt. It is very easy to do and it is very smooth.
Ed

Thanks, Ed.  Talking with Al he told me to make sure and have the output hole on the elevator at the right distance from the bellcrank pivot.  His Millennium Mustang had the hole too close to the pivot, and he could not get enough flap deflection.  Of course I am building a Mustang III (still Classic Legal, but since Nos. 30 is flown around here it really doesn't matter!) and I am looking forward to flying it.  I will use a PA .51 w/Header and can muffler.

I need to find out more about those mufflers for the ST .G.51 for Aaron' Bearcat.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
Don
  I talked to Keith several years ago about the Bearcat controles and I new all that he had said. I have built five stock Juno's that   Don you know how much I like color and I have added my touches of red to the inside of the plane. Thanks for the pictures
Ed
YES! I WILL NEVER FORGET JUST WHAT A AWESOME RED THIS BEAUTIFUL MODEL OF YOURS APPEARED IN THIS PHOTO!I can just imagine how that color would stand out against both a bright blue or even a dull grey overcast day!
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
Hi Doc,

Looks like several of the jig pieces are still in place.  You can see the jig on the ply nose ring....

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
" Mine is over 13 years old and has had some success including a first in the recent Nats Classic event and has placed well in Classic and Expert events over the years. "

I can attest to the performance of Keiths Bearcat - I was on the receiving end of that most recent First in classic at the Nationals. Keith put in a flight that was pretty difficult to beat - Served up a 552. I couldnt do any better than 548 for 2nd.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
Hi Don,

I am not sure if you are referring to me in the above.  However, I do not have nor do I believe I have ever said that I have "flapity-n'-flexity flap issues" with my Bearcat. 
Hope this makes sense. 

If what I tried to explain above does not come across clearly, let me know and I will try again.

Keith

Your in big trouble now Shultzie!! Keith just shut down Bob Whitely at the Southwest Regionals so you'd better recognize. LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Eric Viglione

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
Eddy has a great shop heater and tune's galore! Bet the Carver is cranking while he's working  y1

Looks like the wing will be installed soon! That's one of my favorite points, when it starts to look like an airplane.

EricV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
Hi Ed,

We fully sheeted the wings like Al does.  It should look a lot like yours when done. LL~ LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
Yes the Carver's are still running every time I am in the shop.

You build stunt planes listening to equipment made by a combat flier?
The Jive Combat Team

Eric Viglione

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
Ed, the plane looks great, but more importantly, how much do you want so I can send you my Maggies to re-string? I've even got factory boxes, LOL!   LL~
EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
Ed, I don't think it will be ready for VSC.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Looking good, Eddy.  Are you going to go with Al's new and improved shock gear, or the ones shown on the plans?  Al's canopy is also available.

Keep it up!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »
"Does you RCA player work OK?"

You bet! #^
It was a Christmas gift from my Loving Wife!
I have a pic or two of me when I was a toddler playing one.
Had the records stacked so high, it would only play have way through the last record as the tone arm rubbed the edge of the record! LL~ LL~ LL~
Fondly remembering "Hernando's Hideaway", "Cool Water", "Tumbling Tumbleweed", and 3, 45's to be played in a series to hear "The Nutcracker Suite".
Memories.......
So I dug out the original recordings of "I Saw Mommie Kissing Santa Claus" and "I Ain't Get'n Nothing for Christmas" among many others to play upon opening it this Christmas. All, with the Family, my AF train running around the tree, and 45's playing, made it truly a "vintage" Christmas! #^

Talk about a thread drift! %^@
SORRY!......

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes

P.S.: If your repair friend needs some parts, I gotta a few left over.
Wes Eakin

Eric Viglione

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
Getting close! You're going to have to settle on a paint scheme soon... if you don't go with that BA scheme, there's always a Reno scheme or two to choose from. The simplest has to be the white & gold Rare Bear? They all look good to me!   #^

Eric Viglione

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Yup, that's an airplane allright! I just hope you don't get too sidetracked reading the dead sea scrolls to finish your plane, LOL! (inside joke, for now, sorry y'all)
EricV

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
Somebody mentioned the bronze colored Bearcat.  There were two owned by Corkey Fornof.  They were bronze with metallic maroon and white trim.  I got to see one of these in the 60's at an airshow in Tampa.  The high speed pass down the run way with the prop just a few feet from the runway is something to remember.  Big prop.  Had to land and takeoff from the 3-point attitude.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:53:14 PM by Trostle »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
Here is another picture of that airplane.  There are several B&W pictures in the same article these were copied from.  I can post them if anyone is interested.

Keith

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Right up the road from me, in Ventura Country,CA was an airport,(Camarillo Airport) with a number of warbirds hangered there. They had a Bearcat also, that I saw fly. Had a really big prop. The interesting thing about it was that, while it was idiling up close, the prop made a "whup whup" sound like a helicopter. The pilot told me it is "because it's geared". He said, "the engine turns faster than the prop". He also stated that, "it doesn't get it speed from high RPM, it gets it from diameter".

Up close, the plane is actually quite small. The Japanese would have had virtually no chance against it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:50:30 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Eric Viglione

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
I've always thought this one would work well for stunt and be at least reasonable to mask...
EricV

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 03:51:26 PM »
I've always thought this one would work well for stunt and be at least reasonable to mask...
EricV

I like this one. y1
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:00:21 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »
The blue may show defects , but you wont see them with it airborne . S?P

A fitting scheme for a aerobatic Bearcat . The Gulf ones already been done .

Just eliminate the defects and youll be right . :!

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
Here is another picture of that airplane.  There are several B&W pictures in the same article these were copied from.  I can post them if anyone is interested.

Keith

Keith

I'd be interested in those black & whites.  I knew Bill & Corky back in the late sixties.  They had 4 airplanes all in the same color scheme.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
The guy who flew the Rare Bear also flies some CL stunt.  He stopped by our circle in Arlington a couple of times.

Don't use the bronze.  Too Hunty, if you know what I mean.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
 Properly done the scheme on the bottom left here could present very well on a model...

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/f8fdecalreviewbg_1.htm

It would give much more visual impact than the solid blue versions.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »
The guy who flew the Rare Bear also flies some CL stunt.  He stopped by our circle in Arlington a couple of times.

That would be John Penney. I noticed his name in the PAMPA list a few years ago and tried to contact him to see whether or not he was in fact the "Rare Bear" guy. I received no response.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:14:20 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
I can imagine he didn't repond to REAR Bear vs Rare Bear
Norm

OOPS! My fingers must have suffered a dyslexic moment.

Fixed now. :)

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
Well, I watched when Lyle Shelton flew the thing.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
Well, I watched when Lyle Shelton flew the thing.

Same here: 1976 Mojave Air Races.  On Lyle's final lap at 429 mph the 'Bear' blew an oil line.  Climbed straight up to around 10K or so before circling back down to land on the main runway.  Problem was, he forgot to lower the LG until the last moment.  Gear came out too late and the Rare Bear pancaked, trailing a sheet of flame until Lyle got 'er stopped far down the strip.  No one hurt; no major damage....but for a few anxious moments.

Were you there, Randy?  Anyone else?

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
I also got to see Lyle fly it in '91, and it made the coolest sounds, way different from the Mustangs. what really impressed me was the size of the prop, a wide 3-blade unit that was smaller in diameter than the 4-blade props we're used to seeing. 

I also have footage from '93? where a camera was mounted in the top of the tail, and witnessed an engine failure and a dead stick landing that ended in a ground loop.  Very cool!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
Mike,

I've been to Reno a couple of times. I was there a couple of years after the famous landing gear incident and again in the late 80s. More recently I went about 6 years ago (I was a contributor on their "throw in with the people" funding plan and got a pit pass. Very cool.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »
When I was there, I got pit passes for all four days, and got to stroll around and under all the planes, very cool!  Don't tell anyone, but I actually touched the wing of Ol' Yeller! 8)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
Yea, but my pit pass was free.

I like it Ed. Pat did a Blue Angels version. Him and Jim Welch (the Idaho one) built two of them together. Pat's was the blue version and Jim's was the Bumblebee version.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
Derek here is  the side view
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
I finished it y1

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
Fantastic!  Can't wait until I get to see it.

(don't think Aaron's will look that nice!)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Hi Ed,

It's been over a month now and I am wondering if you have flown it yet?  I haven't found a flight report. ???

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
Billl I sent email y1 Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 05:25:01 AM »
Bill ,John
    The Bearcat flies much better than I expected. I have not had to adjust anything yet. I use 1/8 "rudder offset at max elevator. For a heavy small plane it flies very good
Turns are sharp and clean. This plane should not be flying this good. y1
Ed

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
Glad to hear it Eddy!  I guess old Al did know a thing or two about what he was doing. ;D

A question:  who's B-25 is that?  Is it scale or a stunter?  It looks great, too!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
Bill   That is a all foam electric RC model that a guy was flying at the RC part of the field. It was very light and flew very well. I carired it over to my plane for the photo. Did you notice the stooge line on my plane. I need someone like you to watch the plane for me. I need to know what it is doing in the corners. The dihedral makes it difficult to tell if it has roll or other problems. ~^
Ed

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »
Bill   That is a all foam electric RC model that a guy was flying at the RC part of the field. It was very light and flew very well. I carired it over to my plane for the photo. Did you notice the stooge line on my plane. I need someone like you to watch the plane for me. I need to know what it is doing in the corners. The dihedral makes it difficult to tell if it has roll or other problems. ~^
Ed

Hi Ed,

You're making me blush......... I would, however, love to be able to get up with you and do some flying!  Hopefully it will be soon (and a bit cooler! LOL!!)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2022, 10:24:12 AM »
 I started this thread over 12 years ago. That Bearcat was hand painted. Blue was sprayed and it was dull. Clearcoat was brushed. It was to heavy and needed a ST/60 to fly it.  Sold it to Dave in My club. The second Bearcat was very light and flew as good as any plane I had. Sold it as I was moving and no longer had room for it.
Eddyr

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here