News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Banshee CG  (Read 2118 times)

Offline TroyMartin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sig Banshee CG
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
Help !!  Can someone tell me what the distance is from the leading edge to the CG location per the plans.. Thanks !

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Banshee CG
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:24 PM »
Not per the plans, but if you start about 3/4" ahead of the spar you should be able to avoid crashing long enough to figure out which direction you want to go.

Edit:
Given that you now know the plans position I'm halfway-deleting my comment.  It still stands in that a way-forward CG is a good place to start (because a forward CG is bad, but a backward one can be disastrous), but assuming a halfway competent and diligent designer, the plans CG is much better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:45:09 AM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
Per the plans, the CG is at the forward edge of the wing spar, or 2-7/8" aft of the L.E.
AMA 10663

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
I built a Sig Banshee when they first came out.  The nose was much too long for anything but level flight.  All Banshees needed to have the nose shortened or a ton of tail weight to stunt at all.  Based on the nose length, I wouldn't give much credibility to the designer's intent.
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
I built a Sig Banshee when they first came out.  The nose was much too long for anything but level flight.  All Banshees needed to have the nose shortened or a ton of tail weight to stunt at all.  Based on the nose length, I wouldn't give much credibility to the designer's intent.

AFAIK, the designer's intent was to use an unmuffled Fox 35.  That, plus the finish you might expect on a stunt TRAINER, would lead to a long nose to achieve balance.

Anything with a muffler needs a shorter nose (and, we know more about aerodynamics now -- so shorten the nose and lengthen the tail at the same time, by moving the wing forward a couple of inches, unless you want it dead stock original).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here