News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Banshee  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Sig Banshee
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
Is it classic legal ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Banshee
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:06:15 AM »
It was a new product in 1973.  N-30 for sure. 
Classic would be a stretch.  But then a lot of OTS models are stretched pretty thin.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
Can anyone get in touch with Mike Stott - he designed it and find out when he started the first ship. I looked in the member list and he isn't listed (at least not as Mike Stott). Maybe Sig can point us to him.

Best,        DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
Contact Mike Gretz, if he is not at the NATS.   He should know all about the SIG CL kits.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »
The short answer is YES the SIG Banshee is classic legal ... IMO.

The in depth answer is that the SIG Banshee is one of those models that straddles the cutoff date (kind of like the AJ Firecat controversy).  Here are some facts.

Mike Stott went to work for SIG in August 1969, right after winning Senior stunt at the '69 Nats.
His first assignment was to make some improvements and correct some mistakes in the CL-3 Chipmunk kit.
His next assignments were to draw plans for the SIG Ryan STA, and plans for the SIG series of 4 foam wing R/C sport airplanes, and to design a C/L profile stunter to compete with the Midwest Magician - that was the Banshee.  

Exactly what date that Mike began designing the Banshee has been lost to time.  The date was never recorded.  Why would it be?  No one thought it would be important to know the exact date.  I can't tell you the exact date I started designing any of my own airplanes.  

We do know that production began in early March of 1970, by the dates on some production documents.  

Mike Stott's Dad Arnold, who ran the hobby shop in my hometown, took delivery of a dozen Banshee kits from the first production run in late May 1970.  That date is firmly in my memory because Arnold gave me one of the Banshee kits as a high school graduation present at that time (I built it and flew it in Senior stunt at the '70 NATS in Glenview).  

The first SIG ad for the Banshee came out in the December 1970 Model Airplane News, which would have hit the newstands at the end of October.

Knowing how long it takes to design a new kit and get it ready for production, there is no doubt in my mind that Mike Stott most likely began the Banshee project in 1969.  

I also have a very blurry recollection of seeing his prototype when he brought it home to his Dad's shop to show off to us local club members over the holidays.

This is the most accurate history of the Banshee that I know.

One thing for certain, the Banshee is totally in the style of the pre-1970 stunt ships.  There is nothing about it that gives it any kind of edge over the older airplanes it was designed to compete with.  That is why I always allowed it to fly in Classic at the SIG C/L Contests.

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg Co

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
  HEY GRETZIE!!!!
     First off, let me say that I really, really, really, really, really, really, (you get the idea) missed going to Montezuma this year. Really has kind of thrown my whole summer off!
    Next, now may be a good place to put up links to those little sites you had that explained a lot of the history of the SIG kits, the Chipmunk story, etc. They are pretty cool.
    If the Banshee was in answer to the Magician, what was the Twister in answer to? The Twister, in my opinion, is hands down the best profile stunt kit a guy or gal could buy. Built stock right outr of the box it's a great model, and has been kit bashed into who knows how many other models by countless people. even a submarine by Bill Calkins!
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:12:19 AM »
Hi Dan,

Missed seeing you guys too.  Was out there mowing Hazel's yard that weekend, thinking about the crowd that would normally be there.  Was really windy that day!  But that never stopped ya before.  ::)

My SIG Chipmunk page is: http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/Chipmunk.htm

The Twister was in answer to the good sales of the Banshee.  "If one flapped profile stunter worked, how about two." It soon eclipsed the Banshee, probably due to it's simplicity and more realistic lines.

I'll bet you're getting ready to head for Oshkosh and KidVenture in a week or so?  Have a great time.  Bob Nelson (SIG) delivered the KidVenture fuel to Art Johnson at the NATS.

Did ya get any building done last winter?  I've had a blast building a couple stick and tissue rubber jobs - Jimmie Allen models to fly in the "Jimmie Allen Air Race" I'm putting on at the Antique Airplane Association Fly-In over Labor Day week. 
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyins/2013/air_adventures_of_jimmie_allen.html
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyins/2013/jimmie_allen_model_airplanes.html

We are doing this because 2013 is the 80th anniversary of the Jimmie Allen radio show.  A show that inspired a generation of young kids to pursue careers in aviation and engineering, who went on to win WWII and put a man on the moon.  I give model airplanes a LOT of credit for the achievements of "The Greatest Generation". 

Mike

Here's a pic of my Jimmie Allen "Skokie", with carved balsa prop and wheels.  Fun stuff!  If it's model airplanes, I like it.  I always said that someday I was going to "graduate" to free flight. 

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
Ty,

Thanks for the great Jimmie Allen story.  That program touched a LOT of lives.  AMA Hall of Fame member Claude McCullough (my co-worker here at SIG for over 30 years) first model airplane was a Jimmie Allen "Bluebird" that he got from the local Skelly gas station in Ottumwa, Iowa.  He built it and flew it in the huge "Jimmie Allen Air Race" held in Des Moines in 1933.  Some of the Jimmie Allen Air Races drew over 10,000 people!

I wasn't aware that Coca Cola was a Jimmie Allen radio show sponsor.  As you may know, there were dozens of companies that sponsored the show in different locations.  Skelly (out of Kansas City, where the show originated) and Richland Oil (California) were the most prominent, but there were many others.  Most sponsors had their own version of the famous "Jimmie Allen Wing" pin made.  I'd love to see the Coca Cola one, if it existed (I presume it did).  

Attached are a few Jimmie Allen Wings that I have collected for display in a museum exhibit at the Antique Airplane Association museum here in Iowa.  Ty, did you become a member of the Jimmie Allen Club?  Do you have any memorabilia that you would be willing to loan or donate to the Jimmie Allen display at the museum (donations are tax deductilbe).  :)

Mike  

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:47:20 AM »
At 8 I didn't know a lot of stuff. 

LMAO ... and if you're like me, I probably know even less now.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
A common recommendation when building a Banshee is to shorten the nose (or move wing fwd) because it was designed for a Fox35 and most are using heavier 40 size engines on them.  But what if you are planning to use a Fox35 or the DoubleStar40 (slightly lighter than the Fox), is it still recommended to shorten nose ?   Was there a tail heavy issue with the original Banshee as designed when using Fox35 ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »
Allan, I learned most of the pattern with a stock Banshee and a Fox 35...balance was not an issue, and the package flew very nicely.  No color dope, just
clear over the silkspan, total weight about 38 ounces.  I'm talking truly stock; nothing adjustable...
ama 72090

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
I have noticed that is the common theme on any of these forums.   The more experienced keep forgetting the years we were just learning.   I have learned that to a new person that has never or rarely done control line needs a good plane and engine combination to start with.  The Stock Banshee built to kit specs with a good muffled engine will get them in the air and with the wing area, adding tail weight to balance is not going to hurt the performance for a beginner.   The biggest obstacles they, the beginner, has is learning to start/set engine,  take off properly,  fly level laps at shoulder height, unless he is a midget,  also to fly at 45 degrees.    Then learning to do wingovers and landings.   

But, also most newbies want to do loops ASAP, which is fine with help.   I still remember the first loop I did with a little 1/2A.  Then it was onto lazy 8's and outside loops.   Easiest way for me on outsides was going into a wingover and then doing outside loop, or really 3/4 outside loop on pull out.   

But emphasis should be on building straight, light and just sturdy enough to stay together.   There will be mishaps that will require reassembly once in a while.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »
Allan, there was not a tail heavy issue with the stock Banshee when it first came out.  Remember, it not only featured a Fox 35 Stunt engine (the lightest engine of its size at the time), but there was no muffler.  With a Fox 35 and no muffler the Banshee balanced fine.  Adding a muffler and/or a heavier .40 or .46 engine (with ball bearings) adds quite a bit of weight to the front.

Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg Co

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here