News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:49:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheeks Sheik  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sheeks Sheik
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Recently, while flipping thru the pages of Tom Morris' "Classic Era Construction Drawings" compilation, I ran across an image/listing for the Sheik by Jack Sheeks.  Tom's book says that it was published in FM6506.  I assume that means the June issue of Flying Models.  Has anyone ever seen one of these?  The image in Tom's book was limited to half span, side view fuse, and no stab/elevator.  Does anyone know any more about it than what Tom included?
Thanks,
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sheeks Sheik
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
Hi Jim:

Actually two of them showed up at an early VSC. Not sure about the builder of one of them, but Jim Armour had one there, and it flew pretty darn well for such an unusual design.

If you are interested, I have two sets of full-size plans for that model that I's be willing to part with.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »
Flying Models plans has it listed, with a pic.  Unusual, indeed.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that I remember several posts years ago about this model and having structural weakness problems with the wing?.
Dennis

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
Seems to me that the one I saw at VSC folded in half.  I don't remember who had it, around 2008.  Interesting design, like a lot of Jack's.
Mike

Online Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Seems to me that the one I saw at VSC folded in half.  I don't remember who had it, around 2008.  Interesting design, like a lot of Jack's.

Yes, I remember that too. I'm sure that a little re-engineering of the construction could easily overcome that problem.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
I believe that was Bob Brookins plane that folded.   I would guess the joints in the spar were too light/flimsy. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »
Bob, would you be willing to make copy's of the plans?

Warren

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Flying Models Plans has them listed on their new site.  In fact I think all their plans are listed.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary_Marchand

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »
I have built 3 of them. Mine was one of the three at I believe VSC 3 or 4. Jim Armour's won the concourse award that year. 1st one died when  the Fox 35 died at the top of the wingover and it fell out of the sky, 2nd died when the wing folded at VSC 6or 7 years ago. it was damaged on landing at my home field in Albuquerque and the I Beam was cracked. Third hangs from my garage ceiling signed by Jack Sheeks. Having suffered a heart attack, a double bypass, been diagnosed with Parkinson disease, and been operated on for cancer, all a result of Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. Don't know if I will ever be able to fly a pattern again. I Might bring it to a VSC and get somebody to fly it for me as it is neat looking when flying. Fun build and does the pattern reasonably well when flown by somebody who can fly worth a damn. Will send pictures, both covered and uncovered if you want them. Structurally it is sound. Burt Brokow flew a borrowed one at a VSC 3 or 4 years ago and did OK.
Forever a beginner - Gary

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Gary,
Thanks for the info and the pic.  I think it is a neat looking model.

Did you ever detect any suspected tip stall in the wings?  Those pointy tips look like they would present a potential problem if there was any torsional flexibility or slight construction misalignment.

Having built 3 of them, do you have any cautions for me if I were to take one one of these?

Thanks,
Jim Howell

Offline Gary_Marchand

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »
Jim, Build one. They are a fun plane, Don't know about tip stall and not sure if I would recognize it if I saw it Did not learn the pattern until 1990 and never progressed beyond Intermediate. It is built upside down so the outer portion of the wing is level in the jig. As a result the tips and the fixed portion of the flaps are level and alignment is easy using a bubble level. One of the reasons I love I beams. The tricky part is the tail, Again, a jig is the only answer in order to get them aligned and correct. Reinforce where the Hor Stab is joined. Keep the tail LIGHT. An OS 35S is my engine of choice. If you have not gotten plans, let me know and I will make you a copy of mine. Got them from Flying Models many years ago. Would love to see a picture of it.

Forever a beginner - Gary

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Gary,
Thanks for the update.  Sounds like I probably need to talk to the Chief, Ty Marcucci, about his magazine collection.  I generally have no hesitation about simply building from plans, but your comment about building upside down seems like a really important piece of info to know.  So the mag article might include some other bits like that.
Thanks again.
Jim Howell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here