News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheeks "Ryan SC"  (Read 886 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sheeks "Ryan SC"
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:04 PM »
Talked to people at Flying Models today. They have had quite a few orders in the last few days for plans. When I gave Lyn the Sheek's plan numbers, she said yep that's them! Looks like we have stirred up some interest for the Sheek's award at VSC 2007. The people at FM also appreciate the interest.

Ref Stunt News May/June 2007, Tom McClain has a plan of the Sheeks "Ryan SC" on page 61. This is a pretty airplane to say the least, and looks to be well proportioned. I hope someone builds one!

The "Ryan SC" plan number is CF087

Thanks to FM and Tom Wilk for this info.
AMA 7544

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Sheeks "Ryan SC"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
Tom,

Jack's SC is an interesting stunter, with an interesting history. In Jacks' mag article, he mentioned recognizing a small Comet rubber FF 'scale' kit as of a plane he had tried to ID, earlier. The plane was used to represent Japanese dive bombers in a WW2 'buy Victory Bonds' movie epic.

The movie was 'Wake Island' (Paramount 1942) - was on a movie channel within the past week. It did have Ryan SCs attacking Brian Donlevy and the other good guys.

The Ryan SCs were mostly round engine powered, although at least one had an inverted in-line (Ranger? Menasco? My reference book is in the other room.) The SCs also had aluminum monocoque fuselage structure, well rounded all the way back. The Comet kit had the simplified triangular rear deck. Jack referred to the Comet kit, so the stunter does, too. Jack also used the box art color scheme - which looks right!

It occasionally crosses my mind that it would be interesting to see if Jack's basic SC - with a rear fuselage more "scale" than the little Comet  FF kit - would still be generally accepted as a Classic. After all, it's just cosmetic "kit or plan bashing."
\BEST\LOU

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »
Considering the model is narrowed to single place width the triangular section doesn't look to bad. Only the prototype had a Menasco engine but was changed to a 145 HP Warner when it was found to need more power. I believe the prototype is on display at the EAA muaeum with the radial.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:51:33 PM »
I have read that magazine article a whole bunch of times........ maybe it's trying to tell me something??????   LL~  LL~

I would do a quick change to an I-Beam (quicker for me than the "modified" I-Beam shown) and it should be a quick build.

But, I got about 4 others to get out before I can even think about it........ ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here